New Midcentury home owner.

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

rogue
Modern Fan

New Midcentury home owner.

Postby rogue » Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:06 pm

Hi all. I've been a lurker on this forum for quite some time. I recently acquired a Mid Century Modern home in the Los Angeles area in late November and have been working on getting rid of all my old condo furnishings and trying to rework my style a bit to fit the home. I am no interior designer but I do know my tastes. My style tends to be modern, but I'm not overly keen on Midcentury danish furniture. Its too bland and "grandpa" feeling for my tastes. That being said, I plan on focusing on restoring the home as close to the original plans and landscape as possible. I was blessed with slide photos during the construction and the original landscape plans from the achitect. The furniture and my art tastes on the other hand are different story. I hope some of you can understand that.

The home was designed and built by Robert Kennard, in 1964. Perched on a steep incline on the curve of a road, it is perched upon the hill using a system of concrete Caissons. Its a 2 bed 2 bath, 1700sq feet with atrium that seperates the living area and bedrooms. Anyways. I figure pix are always the first thing anyone looks for so here we go.

The house viewed from outside the former master bedroom to the north. The walkway is strictly for window washing and architectural purposes. I yet to have the balls to walk out there yet :oops:

From the yard down below looking up:

The interior facing from the garage towards the bedrooms and through the atrium. This is when I first got the keys. The red paint and orange carpet has since been removed and I refinished the floors throughout.

To give you an idea of what direction I have gone with it. The track lighting will soon be removed. I have been thinking about lighting options and have decided to go with an ambient LED light system to accent the lines of the house. As far as normal lighting, I'll have to stick to table lamps and what not. The coffee table is temporary and I'm in need of some table advice. You can see I added cell shades to the bedroom adjacent to the atrium which I have made the master.

The master Bedroom. Don't mind Mr. Johnny Cash he means no offense. Pardon the laundry.

I got rid of all my Ikea stuff and finally invested in some decent furniture. Had a desk made for the corner. For those of you wondering why the desk is in the living room, its where I do all my business and prefer to be. :D

View out from the living room. I decided to make the television part of the view rather than look away from the view completely.

The Entry Gallery. The carpet was ripped up immediately don't worry. The atrium is on the left and both bedrooms are down the hall.

The kitchen and bathrooms are in need of full overhauls from scratch. I eventually plan on doing this, but seeing as I am a bachelor, I just don't see the need currently. I also need to do some research into what sort of style cabinetry and bathroom fixtures would work well in a home like this. I need to buy some books or check out some architectural tours.

Bathroom:

Note the red paint with blue tile. Quite stunning right? :P I've since painted it white until I can get around to bathroom renovation.

Anyways... Thats a brief tour of the place and I figured I'd get to know some of you here. There is LOTS of advice and questions I have and this seems to be just the spot.

Projects I need to work on besides the kitchen/bathrooms:

Atrium foliage, patio furniture

Dining Set and Bar Stools

Replace Country Living fan over dining area with Period Correct lamp. (globe perhaps?)

Figure out some sort of ambient lighting that accents the home

There is a mixture of midcentury lighting fixtures around the home that are mixed in with 1970s lighting. I am considering replacing quite a few of these with frosted globe lights. Perhaps overkill?

Anyways. Good to meet you all and looking forward to your comments good or bad.
Last edited by rogue on Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

S'Wonderful
Modern Socialite

Postby S'Wonderful » Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:20 pm

What a fabulous house, Rogue! That curved wall of windows is absolutely spectacular, as is the view! Congratulations!!!

I know you said that kitchen and bathroom were low on your priority list, but they caught my eye. As far as the kitchen goes, the cabinets look original -- I would keep them if you can. The terra-cotta colored tile does not look original, and I would get rid of it. They have some great reproduciton glass tiles out now for the kitchen backsplash, as well as interesting counter materials. My personal favorite is the one that looks like terrazzo.

As for the bathroom, I definitely agree with you about the red wall, but I love the turquoise tiles. If they're in good shape, I would try to keep them.

There's my 2 cents worth -- take it or leave it! :)
Congratulations again on the house -- it's nice to know it's in the hands of someone who cares about MCM architecture.
Life is good!

rogue
Modern Fan

Postby rogue » Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:24 pm

googieagog
Modern Master

Postby googieagog » Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:25 pm

S'Wonderful
Modern Socialite

Postby S'Wonderful » Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:36 pm

Life is good!

Dan O.
Modern Master

Postby Dan O. » Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:49 pm

jesgord
Modern Master

Postby jesgord » Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:21 pm

siobhanmarie
Modern Socialite

Postby siobhanmarie » Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:43 pm

post50modern
Most Illustrious Grand Member
Most Illustrious Grand Member

Postby post50modern » Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:57 pm

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:58 pm

"I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away." Bender

mr. and mrs. meow
Modern Socialite

Postby mr. and mrs. meow » Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:59 pm

it's good. ...for now.

robbhouston
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby robbhouston » Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:10 pm

http://www.nashvillemodern.com
A little website I created to showcase my home and other MCMs in and around the Nashville TN area.

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:28 pm

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

My 2 cents

Postby modfan » Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:46 pm

rogue
Modern Fan

Postby rogue » Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:24 pm

rogue
Modern Fan

Postby rogue » Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:27 pm

rogue
Modern Fan

Re: My 2 cents

Postby rogue » Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:33 pm

Connie
Modern Master

Postby Connie » Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:18 am

Awesome, absolutely awesome. I'm green with envy. Such a special house. Congrats! :cheers:

alatorre03
Modern Groupie

Postby alatorre03 » Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:35 am

Love the home, its very orignal....One thing I would change are the mini blinds, they obstruct your view!

Mid-Century Gent
Modern Socialite

Postby Mid-Century Gent » Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:48 am

Rogue,
Congrats on this amazing home! I remember drooling over the listing when it first came up for sale. Thank god it ended up in the right hands.
Thanks for posting the great pics!
"The world’s richest nation should be able to produce a free – beautiful – Architecture for individuals – for people – to daily increase the Joy in life." John Lautner

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Fri Mar 30, 2007 1:58 pm

"I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away." Bender

Dirt Diva
Modern Socialite

Postby Dirt Diva » Fri Mar 30, 2007 2:53 pm

Lost as always, but if you find me you'll win a prize!

Carpie
Modern Fan

Postby Carpie » Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:46 pm

Beautiful home, rogue.

You've got some great bones to work with. Don't get too carried away too early.

(By the way, the bachelor part was obvious...the toilet seat was up!)

Enjoy the place!

Dave
"It's not for everyone, but at least it's ours!"

Carpie
Modern Fan

Postby Carpie » Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:50 pm

"It's not for everyone, but at least it's ours!"

dalangdon
Modern Socialite

Postby dalangdon » Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:20 am

grh122
Modern Master

Postby grh122 » Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:42 am

I was pleasantly surprised when I opened this thread. I've seen this house before, and I love it. It really doesn't need a lot of changes, only a couple. And you've gotta love being so close to Silvertop! Speaking of Lautner this house reminds me (somewhat) of mini version of the Schwimmer house in Beverly Hills. Does it still have that odd stained glass in the kitchen?

As far as advice goes, it really depends on what you are going for. You are lucky because you can really go several ways. When I look at your house I think that an ultramod James Bond look would be great (don't laugh). I would think ultrasleek and use neutral colors with the materials so that the people inside, artwork, furniture, and view of Silverlake will pop. I think that zaps of red or orange hither and yon, which you already have, is a good thing, but I'd be conservative with it. A retro/googie look could work too. Though not my taste, it could still be a decent look.

Concerning your mention of furniture (bar stools, dining, coffee table, etc) I think that this house needs some Noguchi or Eero Saarinen. Houses like this need at least one iconic piece of modernist furniture. Bertoia wire chairs would look cool on your patio. West Elm actually makes a decent interpretation of them as well for about $150 less per chair.

I like the cabinets, they are simple and sleek. I'd keep them and focus on a couple of other things. I would highly recommend a counter called Caesarstone. They are very strong and quite good looking. My favorite is Lagos Blue which is really a warm grey color and would look great in your house

For me the bright blue tiles in the bathroom aren't continuous with the rest of the home. They aren't bad, but maybe some 1x1" tiles in dark grey or black would compliment the finger snapping bachelor vibe of the rest of the house. They were probably installed orignally to echo the color of the lake, but they just sort of don't go...

Congratulations on owning such a great house and definitely keep all of us updated.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”