1st Posting - Just Moved into 1950 Pink Stucco Modern Home

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Modluv
Modern Fan
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

1st Posting - Just Moved into 1950 Pink Stucco Modern Home

Postby Modluv » Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:51 am

This is my first posting to this wonderful site. I have been pouring over this site since I first found it a few months ago. My boyfriend and I just moved into an amazing 1950 pink stucco and glass block modern home in Connecticut. This house was designed and built by the man who lived here since 1950 and recently passed away. We are the second owners of this amazing time warp. I still find it hard to believe we actually live here! It is truly a dream come true. We are dealers of mid century modern furnishings and this house is the perfect showcase for our wares! I am so thankful for the Lotta Living site as we have much work to do on our new home. I thank everyone in advance for your input, knowledge, opinions, and expertise. I will attach some pics. This is my first attempt at adding pics. If anyone would like to see more, please feel free to ask and I will email them to you (until I figure out how to create a blog!). The house is 3,000 sq feet, one floor (no basement or garage). The living room is 20' x 40' long with 11' high ceilings. One wall facing the back is glass block. It has a circular fireplace. The bathroom has a venetian tiled sunk-in tub! There are so many unique and precious qualities to this home, I could go on forever.

Our goal is to restore, repair, update this home to keep it as close to original as we can. We will be updating but want to do so keeping it true to the period. This is our first home and we are novices at this, which is why I am truly appreciative of this site. Our first major undertaking is a new roof. We are in the process of picking out roofing. The house sits down from the road so the roof is very important as it is almost wholely visible from the road. Does anyone have suggestions as to what we should put for a new roof (color, material, design)? We plan to keep the stucco pink. We also have a wonderful slate patio on one side of the house. I hope I am not rambling on too much. I have been so anxious to get on here. This is the first moment since we have moved in that I have had a chance to register and log in. Here are some photos. I anxiously wait for your replys! Thanks you. Regards, Karen (& Clay)
Last edited by Modluv on Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

aim4123
Modern Fan

Postby aim4123 » Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:46 am

WOW - Great kitchen!!!!!!!! Keep the pictures coming :wink:
Last edited by aim4123 on Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

jkc
Modern Fan

Postby jkc » Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:23 pm

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:00 pm

If there is a knockout view beyond any of the glass block, don't hesitate to replace it with an expanse of glass. Less is more as they say. You have my permission anyway. But do everything you can to save the kitchen and that bath tile!

Modluv
Modern Fan

Postby Modluv » Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:54 am

Thanks for your input. I just posted another subject regarding our roof. We are needing a new one and I want to be sure I do the right thing. I am asking for suggestions on what type of roof to get. Right now we are considering a archicetural asphalt in charcoal..pretty boring. I would love to hear any ideas. The roof's lowest pitch is a 4 and the highest is a 10. It is fairly large (60 square) and most of it is seen from the road, as it sits down. I want to do the right thing. Thanks so much in advance for any input you may have.Image

KateT(CA)
Modern Master

Postby KateT(CA) » Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:03 pm

Knockout kitchen and I love your furniture!

I'm going to be in Connecticut (New Canaan) next month, but I don't think I will be able to get out your way - but keep those beautiful pictures coming!
Best regards,
Kate at Studio 85

googieagog
Modern Master

Postby googieagog » Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:48 pm

That's one wild kitchen! The step-down bath is interesting, too.

For what it's worth, I don't think a charcoal-colored roof would be boring at all, especially with the pink walls. That's a period correct color combination. Reddish-pinkish asphalt shingles are readily available, but they might clash with the wall color. A more subdued contrasting tone would work well. Just be aware that charcoal colored shingles will absorb more sunlight (heating up the attic in summer) & perhaps suffer more sun damage than a lighter color.

I have the same rug in my living room as you have in yours. Do you know anything about it -- who made it, when, etc?

Modluv
Modern Fan

Postby Modluv » Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:50 am

Hi, Thanks for the input. I am leaning toward charcoal shingles myself. We don't have an attic so I am not too worried about the heat since the entire house is cement. As for the rug in my living room..my friend who is a decorator in New York gave it to us as a house warming present. We don't know the designer but we do know that an identical rug only smaller (4x6) sold at Richard Wright Auctions in Chicago for $2,000. I will forward the link if I can find it. Regards, Karen

googieagog
Modern Master

Postby googieagog » Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:38 pm

Re rug: Yikes, I'll be sure to contact Richard Wright if I ever get tired of it. It's also 4x6 (but set us back $50 on e-Bay). Yours looks huge...

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”