new MCM stock plans. opinions? pics.

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
anitasanger
Modern Fan
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

new MCM stock plans. opinions? pics.

Postby anitasanger » Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:12 pm

hello, let me firstly say, GREAT board with awesome advice, really amazing pictures and nice information as a whole for modern living. my wife and i are in the process of purchasing land and building a home. i really love mid-century modern more than anything! however, here in tulsa, oklahoma (though the art deco capital) there aren't very many mcm homes that come up for sale. so.. we have decided to purchase one of the plans offered at www.lamidesign.com i initially wanted to build the cube, but the third story would push costs over our budget. i like the case house that is reminiscent to the infamous eames case study house, but my wife isn't too happy about it. so.. we have both came to the conclusion and a mutual appreciation of the tray house.

i was wondering what you guys think about the exterier asthetics of the tray? would this be considered mcm influenced or similar? it appears that most mcms are one story, so the two stories of this one seem to make it a bit less mcm(ish), but i am no expert. i know in the long run, it doesn't matter what the house is "considered" but what you like. well, with me it is a mixture of both. i do love the house and simply adore the interior layout. but i was wanting some opionions from you guys. would this be considered mcm by nature? and what minor changes do you suggest making to the house prior to construction to make it a bit more MCM? we aren't sure what we want the exterier to be, but we know we don't want painted wood like the owner of the constructed one in the link below did. we are open to suggestions. i do like the way the natural cedar looked before the guy painted it, but my wifes concerned it looks too log cabinish. anyway, i've been in contact with the architect and he is a really nice, standup guy with a lot of talent! i am excited to build one of his modern visions in defiance of these cookie-cutter tulsa clone houses!

here is the website of house plan.
http://www.lamidesign.com/plans/plansca ... 385pg.html

here are pictures of a completed one.
http://www.lamidesign.com/plans/plansca ... 5pg_1.html

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:57 pm

I'm under-impressed with this design. I mean compared to what's on
the website and what would be available prefab. Now this could be the best for you, considering budget and site. I would like to know more about your lot/land/site. Tight city lot? An acre with views? It makes a big difference. It's where any architect would start. The whole idea of modern was to design from the inside out rather than make the rooms inside conform to the exterior appearance.

domus48
Modern Socialite

Postby domus48 » Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:45 am

egads is correct: Site is everything (or nearly so). To comment on a plan independent of site -- and for that matter, user needs -- is pretty superficial.

The completed images of the Tray are somewhat underwhelming -- but that's a personal response. This design may be exactly what you're looking for in a home... and if that's the case, run with it. The MCM aspect is a dicey issue. One might be able to consider this design MCM inspired but since you solicited options: To me, the Tray is more reminiscent of a 1970's vacation home.

That said, you will certainly need to be aware of zoning and/or deed restrictions with respect to what and where you are building. As an aside, what are you budgeting per square foot for the build-out?

Finally, egads is dead-on with respect to designing from the inside out: Occupants occupy. Therefore the home is a machine for your lifestyle. That should be your starting point... not the exterior finishes.

Good luck!

anitasanger
Modern Fan

Postby anitasanger » Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:04 am

what i like about the architect is that he designs homes and actually sells the blueprints so an individual can build the home with materials that fit their budget. i HATE that so many "modern" homes out there are either prefab or sold at a set price and they build it for you. i wish there were more architects out there that swallowed their pride and sold blueprints to whoever. who cares if 100 people across the u.s. have a house that looks like yours? it at least gives modernists a chance who could never afford prefab or custom homes. why doesn't an architect design a set of blueprints inspired by mid century modern homes similar to the case study houses that meet todays codes, and sell them? they would get rich and make a lot of people happy in the process! the tray house isn't going to be my house to end all houses. my wife is in med school and we will live here for about ten years. down the road when we are established and "financially secure," we will work with an architect on a MCM styled dream home, thats just not in the budget yet! so, rather than pay the same amout of money for some cooke cutter mcmansion, we are going to build a modern home that is unique!

thanks for the replies guys. this will be built on the outskirts of tulsa in the country on 3 acres of wooded land. so we won't really have problems with restrictions and what not. i have a local builder who is going to build this for me at cost plus. this means that he's only going to charge cost of the materials to build the home plus 8%. he build my dad's pharmacy a couple years ago cost plus as well. he does really good, quality work and very affordable. i'm finding that it costs WAY less to build a house in oklahoma than most other places. prefabs are out of the question. WAY over my budget. any more suggestions or comments, they are much appreciated.
thanks,

domus48
Modern Socialite

Postby domus48 » Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:09 am

anitasanger
Modern Fan

Postby anitasanger » Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:08 am

no need for appologies, everyones entitled to their own opinion! noone will ever all like the same house!

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:33 pm

domus48, in the upper right hand corner of your post there is an "edit" button. (it only shows up if you are logged in) you can change or delete a post anytime.

Now on to building your own home.
Do walk the site. Bring a ladder. Some architects even go as far as to
rent a cherry picker or a lift. You may "hate" prefab, but in the end you may spend just as much and have to rent while building. With a three acre lot, I'm not sure a rectangular box is the way to go. But other options may be too expensive. How do you determine the building costs of their various plans?

hoodlam
Modern Master

Postby hoodlam » Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:37 pm

too bad one of our lortondale homes aren't for sale. Wish i would have known about you sooner, would have loved to work with you on a modern home.

hoodlam
Modern Master

Postby hoodlam » Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:41 pm

by the way all 200 or so lortondale homes are found in Tulsa

anitasanger
Modern Fan

Postby anitasanger » Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:30 pm

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:41 pm

anitasanger
Modern Fan

Postby anitasanger » Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:58 pm

hoodlam
Modern Master

Postby hoodlam » Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:54 pm

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

I think

Postby modfan » Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:41 am

84Design
Modern Socialite

Postby 84Design » Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:47 am

"Architecture as craft, not merely a container."

anitasanger
Modern Fan

Postby anitasanger » Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:45 am

thanks, do you have any suggestions? my options are to buy blueprints for my builder. so.. prefab and custom construction is out of the question. i've had no luck finding original mcm plans and seen many people that continue to get on here asking how to find them. any other avenues you know of? as for now i'm sold on the tray, but i'm always open to better suggestions.

84Design
Modern Socialite

Postby 84Design » Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:09 am

Have you talked to any local architects? It may be worth your time. I know that I do not charge a client just to sit down and talk about thier ideas. You might be able to get a good design that is perfect for your needs for less than you would think. I will look and see if I can find any other options that I know of that are out there that might suit what you are looking for.

anitasanger
Modern Fan

Postby anitasanger » Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:06 am

thanks a lot! i really appreciate it.

jenkinshouse
Modern Master

Platt House

Postby jenkinshouse » Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:47 pm

I'm partial to the Platt House as a starting point, but I think I'd want to trick it out a little more.
Jason

scottkaycee
Modern Master

"Mid-century Modern" stock plans

Postby scottkaycee » Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:08 pm

I am currently working on a series of Modern home plans that more specifically recall Mid-20th Century Modernism, while as a designer I don't consider myself a "stylist" I do believe in the study and application of past principles applied to today's problems. As such the formal vocabulary of my work tends to evoke the Mid-century vibe as opposed to the industrial. cubic/ rustic Dwell Magazine aesthetic. Unfortunately my plans are currently all in the conceptual phase and I am not quite sure when they will be ready for sale, I mention it only because for some these Modern designs(Pre-fabs, the lamidesigns, etc.) while good, even excellent fall into the contemporary Architectural scene and don't really satisfy the Mid-Century afficiando looking towards new construction.
How about a career in Architecture? www.scottkirkcueto.blogspot.com

anitasanger
Modern Fan

Postby anitasanger » Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:40 pm

scott, great, i really appreciate your efforts! i think that it is a crying shame that people don't have an option for mid-century plans in this day and age. we're looking to build pretty soon, so i think we're going to go with the tray house. however... after my wife is out of med-school we plan to build a dream house mid-century style on a sprawling acreage somewhere in oklahoma. i hope that you will continue to keep us all updated on your progress. i would definately consider them for the future and i'm sure MANY people on here would potentially consider utilizing them now! keep up the good work.

Shawn
Modern Fan

tray house

Postby Shawn » Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:40 pm

Although not MCM, the design has plenty of good points. I think you could do a lot to improve on what is shown with good material choices and minor changes.

I think the siding shown on the completed house does not go with your desire for modern design. Perhaps look into some kind of panelled siding or a wide board and batten as seen on the Cube house, swiching to clapboards on the garage (opposite to what is shown in the design). Also, it looks very bland, you could look into a more dynamic exterior paint scheme. There are various topics here that look at exterior colour schemes.

The front porch doesn't look right to me, it looks like an after thought. At the very least it needs more substantial posts. If your porch will require railings, there are much more appropriate choices than the wooden pickets shown. Looking at the plan the front door is recessed, so maybe a front porch isn't even required. Or maybe the window bumpout above the door could be enlarged to cover a triangular porch/entry patio.

The carport is another area I think should be looked at. I think that it would look best completely open to the roof - what I mean is don't drop a ceiling over the carport but leave it open as a vaulted ceiling from front to back.

I also think that your landscape and hardscape can add a lot of MCM feel to the home. Perhaps a low, rock wall across the front to protect an entry court. Also, take a look at the galleries here for ideas and old landscape and design magazines.

These are just some ideas I had in my head that may help or at the very least give ideas of areas that could be looked into. Good luck with your house and I look forward to seeing it take shape.

84Design
Modern Socialite

Re: "Mid-century Modern" stock plans

Postby 84Design » Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:51 am

Stephen
Modern Guru

Something that surprises me....

Postby Stephen » Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:09 am

Stephen Meade
SoCal Realtor - DRE 01378749
Pacific West Assoc. of Realtors President-Elect
http://www.OCModHomes.com
http://www.CliffMaySocal.com
and
Cliff May Homeowner

84Design
Modern Socialite

Re: Something that surprises me....

Postby 84Design » Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:16 am

anitasanger
Modern Fan

Postby anitasanger » Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:40 am

once agian, thanks for all the comments and advice guys and gals. this is one great group! i'm particularly interested in shawn's comments, and i have a few questions for him.

1. did you have any ideas (pictures or websites) of exterior siding that may look better than the cedar?

2. i can't quite visulaize what you are suggesting with the carport. could you possibly make a rough sketch illustrating your intention?

3. and the rock wall by the porch, i don't quite get what you mean with this either.

an interesting sidenote, we made an offer on the land last night the lot will be about 65 yards wide by 196 yards deep. so we will definately have lot of space. we are thinking about having it about 3/4 of the way back with a decent back yard, a huge front yard and small sidelots on each side of the house. the land is completely secluded and covered by forrests. if we get the land, i will post pics. it is really beautiful. the builder went to look at it with my wife today and he said that it is perfect. something else, the land is covered with giant pieces of sandstone. it will pose no problem for construction, even the basement because he said it breaks up very easily. but the inteesting thing is that he said that sandstone is somewhat desirable and people will pay a fair amount for it. since we will have so much of it, i may be able to incorperate it into my landscaping, perhaps a wall, or any other good ideas. what do you guys think?

Shawn
Modern Fan

Postby Shawn » Fri Apr 06, 2007 6:49 pm

My ideas may be more Modern than MCM, but I think they could work with the plan you want.

I couldn't really find what I was talking about for siding but here are some ideas I came up with:

1. Wide board and batten siding like this:

2. This kind of shows some panels (over the central section):

3. Here is a sketch that shows the type of panels I was thinking of:

4. And I like this siding applied flat:

As for the carport, all I mean is what is shown at the back of the concept drawing for the design. Just carry that all the way through, don't drop down and square off the opening:

And using your Sandstone for a wall sounds like a good idea. I couldn't find exactly what I meant for a wall either but these are close enough:

And I hadn't noticed it before but have you looked at The Spirit of Palo Alto design

http://www.lamidesign.com/plans/plansca ... 738pg.html

It appears to have more MCM inspiration.

Hope these are of some help.

anitasanger
Modern Fan

Postby anitasanger » Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:56 am

wyneken
Modern Fan

Re: "Mid-century Modern" stock plans

Postby wyneken » Sat Apr 07, 2007 3:23 pm

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”