Our Dallas MCM Photos (lots of images!)

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
drsiebling
Modern Master
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Our Dallas MCM Photos (lots of images!)

Postby drsiebling » Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:36 am

Here's the "New" place with our furniture! I'd love to hear any comments or suggestions!

Thanks!

Last edited by drsiebling on Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.

84Design
Modern Socialite

Postby 84Design » Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:35 am

Excellent! What part of Dallas are you in?
"Architecture as craft, not merely a container."

drsiebling
Modern Master

Postby drsiebling » Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:18 pm

Dallasmodern
Modern Master

Postby Dallasmodern » Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:40 pm

Congradulations. Glad to hear you're moved in. Great pics. I drive through Lakewood often, I'm suprised I never noticed your place.

vlopez
Modern Socialite

Postby vlopez » Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:15 pm

Congratulations! I love your windows!
Enjoy!

jesgord
Modern Master

Postby jesgord » Sun Apr 08, 2007 5:41 am

Looks great! I love the colors of both exterior doors. Congrats!

drsiebling
Modern Master

Postby drsiebling » Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:18 am

Thanks, everyone! I love living in this house more with each passing day!

drsiebling
Modern Master

Postby drsiebling » Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:09 pm

drsiebling
Modern Master

Postby drsiebling » Wed May 30, 2007 9:15 pm

So, based on the pictures I've posted, are there any things about the house that stand out as needing to be immediately improved? I believe that much of the house is close to original, but can't help but think that the windows have been drastically altered over the years. Any help or advice is much appreciated!

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Thu May 31, 2007 3:35 am

look at how the front overhang goes back and kisses the corner!
oh. congratulations! i've been mesmerized by the photos and thinking about your windows. i'm not an architect, or even close, so i'm sure
others can help more.
from what i have read, adding clearstories can be pricy.
and i'm sure you have tried to find a similar home in the neighborhood to
compare. the front entry would be my first choice to punch up a notch.
(i love the door colors also) so many great examples i have seen posted
here. and including calm, clean, simple landscaping.
there is a break in the siding, in the front entry where a clearstory would be. but that could also be the factory length when and if the siding was
replaced. should be a clean vertical, stagered boards, so as not to draw
attention. saves money to slap up full sheets. anywho, that spot would be
my choice for a clearstory. you are already enjoying living there. isn't it
amazing how simple these interiors are? and what a pleasure it is to use every inch of living space? i like your windows and the sky lights!
how about a nice little kidney shaped pool instead!?

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Thu May 31, 2007 3:46 am

oh. also. i meant to add. a clearstory may just be under there. have you
looked? easy to pop off those boards.

robbhouston
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby robbhouston » Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:46 am

Neat place!

It's hard to say for sure if there are windows that were covered over at some point. When first looking thru those photos, it does seem like parts of it are walled in a bit more than you'd expect, considering it's modernish design. I wonder if there's a way to find out what's behind some of those walls without punching holes? Like a stud-finder type device, that scans for voids or materials like glass? I'm not a carpenter, obviously...:)

As far as suggestions...If you're planning to keep what appears to be an office in it's current place, you might consider replacing the clear glass panels in the wall dividing it from the main living space with obscure glass. That way, you're not seeing the ol' computer, printer, paper-shredder, etc, from the living space. I personally love the use of obscure glass as interior screens and/or to define one space from another. Great when back-lit. BTW, that office space also seems kinda over furnished. Hey...they're just suggestions... :)

Speaking of furniture...Not sure how long you've lived there, so you may still be experimenting. But just looking at the arrangement, have you ever considered pulling some of those living room pieces out from that pocket by the fireplace and expanding the living room space out into the room a bit? Just seems kinda tight there, but real open over by the kitchen. Might make the living area seem more spacious, and also help include those folks in the kitchen when you're entertaining. Then again, maybe I'm misreading the photos? I like that dinning table, btw.

Do you think your place was added onto at some point? It's hard to tell for sure from the photos. But, I get that impression a little bit.

Great place! Best of luck with whatever you have planned for it.

--Robb
http://www.nashvillemodern.com
A little website I created to showcase my home and other MCMs in and around the Nashville TN area.

drsiebling
Modern Master

Postby drsiebling » Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:56 am

Thanks for all of your suggestions!

The house has had two additions since it was built in 1953. So, what was originally a 1500 square foot house in now almost 2500. Fortunately, most of the additions were done with the original style in mind. In speaking with our neighbors, who have lived across the street for 30 years, our house did have the full array of clerestory windows as recently as 12 years ago. It seems that the addition that was added in 1995 also removed the windows. That's a damn shame.

My initial ideas are to replace the orange wall (pictured) in the house with floor to ceiling windows that pretty much repeat themselves all along that side of the house )(including in our kitchen). I'd also like to remove all the white paint from our ceiling boards, but that might be too prohibitively labor intensive and expensive. The beams will definitely get painted a very dark brown.

Ronbhouston: you mentioned moving the furniture around to add more living space. Actually the previous owners had reversed the living and dining areas. We've tried it both ways now and definitely like the living room situated where you see it in the photos. It's actually much larger than it looks in pics. I'm always hesitatnt to post pictures of that part of the house as they tend to not do the space any justice. It is much larger and free flowing than the pics make it seem. Rest assured, however, that we don't plan on keeping the office and all that furniture in the glassed off room. That's just a temporary fix! Thanks again for the compliment on the dining table. We're very proud of it. it is a vintage Thayer Coggin Milo Baughman piece that is fairly hard to come by. Frankly, we lucked into a killer deal on it, or we wouldn't have been able to afford it. It is SOLID rosewood.... something you just can't find on current furniture.

rocklandlounge: I love the way the overhang slips right over to the corner of the house as well... it's one of my favorite features of the house along with the split level beams that raise the roof line in one section of the house (i'll have to post some pics of this cool feature). We've toyed with the idea of taking some of that paneling down to look for windows. Just might do that next weekend...

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”