Frustration in Tustin

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Stephen
Modern Guru

Frustration in Tustin

Postby Stephen » Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:19 pm

Ugh...I've got to get this stuff off my chest....

It turns out that the county has sold several small lots left over from a road realignment to a developer. These lots are covered under my Cliff May neighborhood's conditions, convenants, and restrictions (CC&Rs). I've always felt the CC&Rs gave some sense of stability and security. They prohibit 2-story homes, lot subdivision, and have fairly hefty street setbacks. These things all but eliminate the possibility of McMansionization.

Late Sunday a neighbor of mine came by frantically waving a piece of paper. The developer who bought the lots is going door-to-door with a legal document to terminate the CC&Rs altogether -- which would allow him to only be subject to County of Orange building restrictions. Unfortunately, some people have already signed it having no idea what it actually says or what it will allow the developer to do. He is showing people drawings of a one-story 1600sq ft stucco box but without the CC&Rs it could very well be a 3000sq ft 2-story stucco box.

I put together a letter along with a copy of the CC&Rs (most people have never seen them, I'm discovering). Most importantly, I have invited everyone over to my house tomorrow at 8PM to try and see how everyone feels, who has signed the document, and what compromises people might be willing to make.

If any other SoCal MCM peeps, especially LB Rancho residents, want to show up for support. Please send me a message -- I could really use it!

I was always thinking of hosting something to meet all my neighbors but these isn't exactly the circumstances under which I planned to do it.
Stephen Meade
SoCal Realtor - DRE 01378749
Pacific West Assoc. of Realtors President-Elect
http://www.OCModHomes.com
http://www.CliffMaySocal.com
and
Cliff May Homeowner

64Cat
Modern Socialite

Postby 64Cat » Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:46 pm

Hello, I don't have a Cliff May or live in Long Beach or CA. But there's nothing more I hate than to see a house that's too big or that doesn't fit in with the rest of the hood. It's amazing what people will do to keep up with the Jones.

Don't give up and give 'em hell!

Karl

http://homepage.mac.com/kmadcharo/PhotoAlbum2.html

mr. and mrs. meow
Modern Socialite
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby mr. and mrs. meow » Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:31 pm

Sorry to hear about your situation, Stephen. Being the uber-knowledgeable guy you are, I'm sure you are armed with tons of info about property value and Cliff Mays etc. The Mr. and I were discussing just a minute ago about how it seems the LB rancho tract is actually not taking too much of a hit in the current real estate slump. Homes sit longer, but the prices are fairly stable. We may be able to make it tomorrow. I will PM you for details.
it's good. ...for now.

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

Good Luck

Postby modfan » Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:30 am

Since from you post I gather that you are in county territory under the control of the OC Board of Supervisors. And it's pretty well known that OC is conservative, libertarian etc. (ie developers rule). Perhaps you should also consider annexation to an incorporated city (Tustin?) that may have stricter rules regarding McMansionizing. But then again you may have to be charged to connect to sewers (if not already connected).
Remember money talks. Good you're getting in before even one house is built because it can be more difficult once it's started. I'd say yes emphasize the historic value of a Cliff May neighborhood but also stress the financial aspects of keeping a neighborhood harmonius-I think it's pretty well been proven that is a plus. Allowing inconsisent styles will be a minus but stress the postive aspects, so that the so called 'negative' aspects will be more accepted (ie a HOA, special/historic district, CC&R's)
it all goes together. Again good luck and hope it turns out well.

Stephen
Modern Guru

Re: Good Luck

Postby Stephen » Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:48 am

Stephen Meade

and

Cliff May Homeowner

gwdiener
Modern Master

Re: Frustration in Tustin

Postby gwdiener » Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:32 am

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:00 pm

guns and ammo

vlopez
Modern Socialite

Postby vlopez » Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:52 am

Just wondering how the meeting went. Sorry, but I didn't check the site until today. Hope you had plenty of support.

Val

Stephen
Modern Guru

Update...

Postby Stephen » Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:27 am

"Cliff" Notes: :D :cry:

It looks like the developer *does* have the required signatures. I went door-to-door encouraging people to come last night. Of the people I talked to at the other end of the nieghborhood, most had signed and nearly all regretted it. However, I did found out several things:

- Several people signed on the weekend and were intoxicated when the developer came around. Both of these people wish to rescind their signatures.

- The developer told people that if they don't remove the CC&Rs, they may be forced to remove non-conforming fences and walls. This is simply not true as the CC&Rs state that approval for variances is to be given by the architectural committee within 30 days of plan submission or a suit must be filed before the completion of construction....otherwise the variance is automically approved and convenants "shall be deemed to have been fuly complied with."

The real good news is I'm happy with the people who did show up. They are all very concerned and it turns out I have some Cliff May-aware neighbors! I'm only sorry it took something like this for us to actually get together. Interestingly, the general consensus is that we are a lot less concerned with the proposed 1-story houses from the developer than we with the effects of removing the CC&Rs entirely -- opening up the possibility for two-story houses and possible lot subdivision.

The biggest question is where do we go from here. Basically, these were the ideas floated:
- Research the feasibility and expense to have several of the signatures invalidated.
- Explore opportunities for historic status / protection as the Long Beach Ranchos are doing right now.
- Explore opportunities for a new set of CC&Rs among the willing homeowners that will protect against two-story homes and lot subdivision. Unfortunately, this will only be enforceable to those homeowners willing to sign it.

Also, if anyone knows of a lawyer who might be sympathetic to our cause...please message me! Unlike an HOA, we don't have a big budget to draw from.

Also, thanks to Dan and Victoria (Staar) for the support.
Stephen Meade

and

Cliff May Homeowner

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:33 am

Are there any attorneys in the hood?
"Better Living Through Modernism"

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”