Landscaping Grass.

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
shecomesincolors
Modern Groupie
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Landscaping Grass.

Postby shecomesincolors » Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:43 pm

Hello Everyone!

We are in the process of restoring our new MCM in Tujunga, Ca.
We've just finished a couple major interior projects (whew), took a weeks vacation, and are ready to begin tackling the landscaping!

The house is on a steep-ish slope, and the slope is mostly dirt at this point.
I recently found the PERFECT grass to cover the slope- only trouble is... I dont know the name of it!

So my question is... Does anyone know anything about THIS grass?

STLModern
Modern Master

Postby STLModern » Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:49 pm

I believe it is Korean Velvet Grass.

jesgord
Modern Master

Postby jesgord » Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:04 pm

Are you sure its not Acapulco gold?

STLModern
Modern Master

Postby STLModern » Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:26 pm

Pretty sure...it's what PacificaModern used in his landscaping.

Go to link below > Edit > Find (on this page)
...and search for Korean Velet Grass

http://www.lottaliving.com/bb/viewtopic ... 7&start=30

shecomesincolors
Modern Groupie

Postby shecomesincolors » Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:38 pm

Thank you so much~ It Does look almost exactly the same.... except the 'lumps' are a little smaller, but at least now I know the type of grass it is and I can find more information on it.

I wonder why more people dont use this type of grass.?

My old neighbors in Silverlake had it in their front yard. Id walk by all the time and think how magical it looked....

By the way, What a great landscape Pacifica Modern has!!!

OCEllen
Modern Groupie

Postby OCEllen » Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:06 pm

Lovely but difficult to maintain - water hungry and bug friendly! I'm trying to remember the botanical name.! Bump grass but not a true grass.

sdmod
Modern Master

Postby sdmod » Sat Apr 14, 2007 6:57 am

classic form
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby classic form » Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:23 am

No stems no seeds that you don't need...

Jesgord, at least one of us here is old enough to catch the reference:)_

robbhouston
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby robbhouston » Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:41 pm

http://www.nashvillemodern.com
A little website I created to showcase my home and other MCMs in and around the Nashville TN area.

Josquin
Most Illustrious Grand Member
Most Illustrious Grand Member

Welcome to the neighborhood

Postby Josquin » Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:19 am

shecomesincolors,
Welcome to the neighborhood! Zoysia Tenuifolia probably isn't used often because it's slow speading and goes dormant, turns straw colored, in the winter. In Tujunga, the dormant season is longer than the coastal influenced areas. You may have to supplement the soil. Tujunga is notorious for it's poor soil, DG:decomposed granite, and surfeit of rocks.

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:14 pm

we planted some in our front yard in granada hills, but i thought we chose a different variety of Zoysia that was more drought tolerant? i wish i could remember.

but in any case - it's a perfect plant to pair with midmod and yours looks marvelous.

it feels VERY good under bare feet, too!

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”