Usonia in the NYT

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Connie
Modern Master
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Usonia in the NYT

Postby Connie » Sat Apr 14, 2007 6:35 am

jesgord
Modern Master

Postby jesgord » Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:54 am

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:34 am

The Reisley house, from "Usonia, New York" by Roland Reisley (Princeton Architectural Press, 2001)

jesgord
Modern Master

Postby jesgord » Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:50 am

There is a great book on the history of the Usonia community:

Usonia, New York: Building a Community with Frank Lloyd Wright written by Ronald Reisley. Its a great read about the background of this amazing community.

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Thu May 10, 2007 8:51 am

thanks for the heads-up about this book. it was on my x-mas wish list. not sure what happened. maybe my chair fettish took over. i'm a levis and red wing kinda gal. my crew calls me 'ping-pong'. bounce around, never sit ,but love chairs. design my own and collect too many.
now 6 hours into my first day off in three years, three old laptops lined up on the kitchen counter. never considered usonia ($), but it is only a hop from here. i'll take a drive over and snap a few pics. my interest now is landscaping. drove around my Versland-Rhodes neighborhood this morning, now that spring is here, looking for ideas. (up at my usual 5am)
can't waste a minute of my first day off. i'm a bit stunned. i've gone from NYC, 100 phone calls a day, to peace and quiet, wild turkeys, deer, ferrel cats(we call them the sex kittens) , and, well, the neighbor with his leaf blower. but, as new suburbanites, and our motto to our city friends, 'it's so peaceful, you can hear a bird fart!'.(that would be a nice t-shirt).
saw 6 houses for sale in 5 min. only one looked promising. i'll start posting them.
now what about those big wood eating bubble bees i see all around the deck....another problem.
thanks for the heads up about the book!

Josquin
Most Illustrious Grand Member
Most Illustrious Grand Member

Carpenter Bees

Postby Josquin » Thu May 10, 2007 10:06 am

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Thu May 10, 2007 10:21 am

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Thu May 10, 2007 4:17 pm

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Thu May 10, 2007 5:47 pm

marthashoes
Modern Fan

Postby marthashoes » Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:50 pm

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:42 pm

this livingroom has been an inspirational space over the last few years

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:26 am

ditto joe.
the fireplace, the stone wall outside.
the built-ins, the lighting.
attention to detail...

and the book mentioned above is a fun read.

marthashoes, pockets of mcm homes are scattered about
around the nyc area. we looked for a year, everywhere.
new jersey was not an option for us. (the traffic patterns
are horrible). we found ours mentioned on craig's list. the
original owners were having trouble finding an appreciative
buyer. when you do find something, you may be alone in the
neighborhood. no support group like the eichler network or
the cliff may and neutra, etc owners....well that may not be
exactly true. i just haven't had the guts to even leave a note
in the mailbox of the few homes that seem to have the same
appreciation as we do. or maybe i'm just respecting their privacy.
not beeing snotty really, but an original red front door, with a
red mini cooper is adorable. and original globe lights.
plastic adirondak chairs, home depot front door (the one with the
fakey stained glass), purple crooked mini-blinds, plastic bubbly
mailbox just makes my skin crawl.
the immediate neighbors are great. the girls across the street are
watering the new plantings while we are out of town, and even
helped us build our compost bin. 'i love compost bins!' (very cute)
...in fact, i don't even see anyone composting around here....
it's an adjustment to leave the city. we are pleasantly surprised
to feel at home. and of course the dream would be to put this
beautifully designed home on a rooftop in the city...$$$$$$...complete
with the 100+ fern garden. we have a fern garden!? (pinch, pinch)
and a 2 car garage...no battle for nyc parking.

marthashoes
Modern Fan

Postby marthashoes » Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:31 am

:h: thanks rocklandlounge! we have found a few but always in the wrong spot, there was a home in Princeton NJ listed in the WSJ last week and it was awesome, however, in NJ which is not an option for us either. We had a close call in New Canaan but were too late, we got in at the end with a one shot bid deal and although we bid highest it went to the other people...our preference is CT but flexible as the stock is low for MCM's! I found a great person on this website, Craig who is awesome, tons of information, but I haven't seen him in a while, no posts? Anyhow, congrats to you, I will check out Craigs list as well, you never know!

Enjoy your home!!!

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:12 pm

"I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away." Bender

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”