help! broken vintage thermador!

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
tig64105
Modern Master

help! broken vintage thermador!

Postby tig64105 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:58 am

Wow, I'm hoping someone can help me with this one.

We have a Thermador WO-18A oven in our home. It's a 24" built-in. The lower (bake) heat element went out in it the other day. I can't find one anywhere, and no one seems to be able to find out even enough to tell me what is compatible.

The bottom line is that I'm not going to buy a NEW 24" oven to put in the spot, because when we eventually remodel the kitchen, we'll definitely put in a larger oven. However, if I can't get this ***** fixed, then I'll probably be starting a kitchen remodel WAY earlier than planned, and that's just not cool.

Please, please, any info appreciated. As much as I'd like to replace this thing (you can't even shut the door all the way with my Calaphon roasting pan in it!!!) it really needs to stick around a while longer!

jesgord
Modern Master

Postby jesgord » Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:25 am

Don't know whether or not this will be helpful at all, but I have had luck researching vintage appliance issues before on this site http://applianceguru.com/ The forum has proven helpfull on several occasions.

You may also want to post over at the Eichler network. I beleive the WO-18A and WO-16A were standard issue in many Eichler homes. I have read threads over there with people asking about these ovens, selling these ovens and even dismanteling them for parts.....you never know.

morbank
Modern Master

Postby morbank » Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:09 am

i'm surprised that that is not a standard element. we have a 24" built-in thermador and range from '66, and every time something breaks or is wrong with it, the repair guys always has every part on his truck!

64Cat
Modern Socialite

Postby 64Cat » Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:55 am

tig64105
Modern Master

Postby tig64105 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:13 am

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby moderns-r-us » Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:29 pm

Search in the forum over at the Eichler Network. There are several Thermador oven threads.

There is even a parts distributor who specializes in these vintage appliances.
"Better Living Through Modernism"

tig64105
Modern Master

Postby tig64105 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:38 am

A little bit of steel wool and a prayer, and I'm functional again.

Color me relieved.

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:00 pm

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:53 am

"Better Living Through Modernism"

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”