Best location for new modern?

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
tallrick
Modern Socialite
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Best location for new modern?

Postby tallrick » Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:44 am

After being born and raised in Miami, building a modern home in 1990 in Key Largo, I am fed up with the bad taste and third-world mentality of south Florida. Also have been struggling with a corrupt tax assessor and have had to let my house run down to get control of the tax bill. Looking for a new location where land is cheap and there's no regulations to prevent my building of a new home. Also looking for a good economy for running a business. In the 50's and 60's there were plenty of great places to build your new modern home but today all those locations have been invaded by bubble-headed real estate investors. What I hate are the Mc mansions, Latin style and "american crackerbox" common today. Would like a nice area with acerage and low, low property taxes. Currently have an elevated home, but looking to build all concrete modern home with detatched garage, and two-lane bowling alley in seperate building or in basement. Also would consider existing unremodeled modern home if available.

Everything I have built so far looks and feels like the 50's. No drywall or outside painted surfaces wanted here!
Make modern your own, don't trust others to- it's our future.

KateT(CA)
Modern Master

Postby KateT(CA) » Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:19 am

I think my area's property taxes would make it a no-no! Good luck on the project, though.

Kate in Southern CA
Best regards,
Kate at Studio 85

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:32 pm

goodness - we'd love to have you here in vegas.
property taxes are reasonable. there is no state income tax.
it's a business friendly city (but you'd probably end up with county land anyways) you can even have breakfast/lunch with the mayor once a month!

prices for land ain't cheap, but with the rate of foreclosures now, you might find negotiable sellers?

come for a visit. stay for a life!

ch
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby ch » Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:32 am

I no longer live there, but Albuquerque, New Mexico could fit the bill. It's a very pro-entreprenurial and small business city. Unlike Florida, it has real weather but near daily sunshine with big blue skies. I have lived in both South Florida and New Mexico and I would take NM anyday. Likewise the mountains to the beach.

Taxes are reasonable and land costs probably average. One nice plus is that there are some great modern homes to be found at accessible prices. The University of New Mexico has long had an architecture school with graduates and faculty producing some great post-war designs. (And the long time home of Bart Prince and Antoine Predock).

Good Luck and let us know where you land.

84Design
Modern Socialite

Postby 84Design » Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:58 am

"Architecture as craft, not merely a container."

tallrick
Modern Socialite

Postby tallrick » Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:34 am

Make modern your own, don't trust others to- it's our future.

robbhouston
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby robbhouston » Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:27 am

http://www.nashvillemodern.com
A little website I created to showcase my home and other MCMs in and around the Nashville TN area.

grh122
Modern Master

Postby grh122 » Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:46 am

84Design
Modern Socialite

Postby 84Design » Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:06 am

"Architecture as craft, not merely a container."

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”