Modern fountains

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Modern fountains

Postby nichols » Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:58 pm

I know this has been discussed here before, but I saw these folks at CA Boom and wanted to post it for future reference.
http://studio04la.com/products/water_standard.html

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:44 pm

I like 'em. Thanks !

Let's get those gardens going. . .

SDR :cheers:
"I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away." Bender

BOXOUTBM
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby BOXOUTBM » Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:31 am

Here is the ours

home_boy
Modern Master

Postby home_boy » Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:44 am

You can't go wrong with the classic MCM spill basin fountain.
Here's more info: http://www.fountainhd.com/03.htm

(When I was a kid a local supermarket had a display with a fountain very much like this flowing with Tang! : )

jenkinshouse
Modern Master

Funny you should mention fountains...

Postby jenkinshouse » Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:52 am

Hi all,
We are in the middle of working out some backyard landscaping. Our landscaper is not specific to mid-century nor modern, but he does some really cool stuff. I told him I wanted a desert oasis and he came up with this "rockscape". It has large stones in a kidney shape with a 3 pronged disappearing fountain in the middle. The water comes out of the rocks which he drilled holes in to fit the piping in. Later we will rearrange this so that we will dig a fish pond with a waterfall back by the fence. My only concern is that the Washingtonia palm is too close to the house, but both he and another landscaper of my neighbor's said it should not pose a problem there.

The housemartin house doesn't belong there anymore. We will carefully move it to another part of the yard this weekend...

Jason
Houston

home_boy
Modern Master

Re: Funny you should mention fountains...

Postby home_boy » Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:39 am

jenkinshouse
Modern Master

Postby jenkinshouse » Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:50 am

Josquin
Most Illustrious Grand Member

Our Fountain

Postby Josquin » Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:46 am

Here's our fountain done in the style of a Japanese tsukubai wash basin.

classic form

Postby classic form » Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:52 pm

Talk to me about that fence Josquin...height, width, material etc...

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:31 pm

Ha ! You noticed that, CF. . .

Wright made a triple-disc memorial/birdbath/would-be-fountain on a low triangular pedestal, sometime after his daughter's accidental death in the mid-forties. It was made with shallow dished discs from the farm implement called a harrow; he had several of them placed around Taleisin West to hold fruit or rock or flower arrangements.

Rocks and water. . .rock ! Keep it up. :cheers:

SDR
"I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away." Bender

Josquin

Walls

Postby Josquin » Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:47 pm

CF
To answer your question about the walls, let me refer you to this thread: http://www.lottaliving.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=9240

lasquirrel
Modern Master

re: spill basin fountain

Postby lasquirrel » Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:47 pm

Homeboy... thanks for posting that pix of the fountain. I have been looking EVERYWHERE for one. If anyone knows where to find them OR how to build one please let me know. BTW I don't really know how to build stuff but I'm willing to try.
:D
Sheryl

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:37 pm

I'm showing my age, but you used to be able to buy the spill bowl fountains at Akron. (the first and original, something for everybody, out of the ordinary store) Akron was sort of like a combination of Cost Plus and Pick N Save. I mean you could buy Tikis there cheap! It's where everyone got their butterfly chairs. Their version had three tiers, a wrought iron frame and fiberglass bowls. I remember one in the corner of my grandmothers patio room. (her entire house was pink and turquoise) Why no one has reissued that thing is beyond me. The thing about most small fountains is they don't make much noise. lasquirrel and I live close enough to Spring Street we need a roaring waterfall......

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

Had to try some photshopping...slightly off topic

Postby modfan » Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:39 am

Too bad no one had thought about building some 'modern' birdhouses.
I know some efforts were done for doghouses. Have to link the image doesn't display large enough. And you can keep the saturn ring thingy at the top for good effect.. :)

BOXOUTBM

Postby BOXOUTBM » Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:15 am

Dwell Actually had an article about Modern Birdhouses a couple of issues ago. As usual, they were very pricey. I will try and find it.

Luka
Modern Master

Postby Luka » Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:08 am

Miguel

Postby Miguel » Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:34 pm

I know... we're on a good way to hijack the thread...

Love the simplicity and material of this one:
Pricey as well... can be bought at Target: http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html?ie ... B000CNKF64

another cool one (for $100):

or this one; can't beat the price ($14):
http://www.mainstreetseedandsupply.com/birdhouses11.htm

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:25 pm

Hijack indeed. But still in the "garden art" category. In any case, here is a link to the sort of fountain I remember. Of course this one is metal and very dear in terms of price. I guess we have to wait for someone a Target figure out there is a market for knock offs. Well, a very small market...us.

http://www.modernhq.com/falling-water-f ... 47495a6034

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

And I remember

Postby modfan » Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:55 am

Those fountains sold at 'The Akron'.
Wasn't there some sort of similar fountain at the original Eastland nearby?
Seems like it was cascading from the upper to the lower level where the escalator was.

mod cats
Modern Socialite

Postby mod cats » Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:55 pm

Egads, I love that fountain offered but I will be waiting until Target offers a much cheaper knockoff, too. Any other options for reasonably priced Modern fountains and other water features? Love the birdhouses and I have another question - does anyone sell Modern flower boxes? Brushed stainless steel or aluminum, geometric, that sort of thing.

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Sun Jul 29, 2007 3:24 pm

How about knowing someone who welds for the base and someone who can do fiberglass for the bowls.....I may look for broad flat shaped planters or saucers. They can be painted inside with a Henrys product called cold apply cement. The black stuff you see on the inside of flower pots. Or how about some hubcaps? i don't know, I just know I want one and I am not paying $1200. for it.

jazz-n-cocktails
Modern Socialite

Postby jazz-n-cocktails » Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:40 pm

jazz-n-cocktails
Modern Socialite

Postby jazz-n-cocktails » Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:09 pm

Here are some images of that tiki fountain mentioned in my last post. The tiki vase/planter was given to us but was apparently from Home Depot (!), and while not modern per se, it fits our tropical CM landscaping. Point is, this can be done easily with any vase or planter with modern lines. Don't mind the pool heater/pump in the background of the photos...gotta build that gate soon! :cheers:

http://picasaweb.google.com/spclifford/ ... 2737575474

http://picasaweb.google.com/spclifford/ ... 8442608162

http://picasaweb.google.com/spclifford/ ... 8442608146

Miguel

Postby Miguel » Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:02 pm

I like the Rubix and Wok fountain:
It looks like something Stan Bitters could have made.

Luka
Modern Master

Postby Luka » Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:50 pm

mr. and mrs. meow
Modern Socialite

Postby mr. and mrs. meow » Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:45 pm

it's good. ...for now.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”