32,000 square foot home in Palm Desert

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

ch
Special Secret Modern Agent
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

32,000 square foot home in Palm Desert

Postby ch » Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:10 am

Interesting article on a controversial house in Palm Desert. My immediate thought was why didn't this guy call Bart Prince and do it right.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me ... -headlines

~titile changed by futuragirl on 4-23-07
~also several posts were eliminated on this thread to keep it friendly

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

I read the article

Postby modfan » Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:39 pm

Kinda a unique design but I dunno why anyone needs a 64000 sq ft home.
Kinda proves money talks but doesn't necessarily buy good taste.

domus48
Modern Socialite

Postby domus48 » Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:48 am

As far as Duane Hagadone's Palm Desert compound is concerned, architecturally analyzing an edifice by viewing aerial construction images or following the lead of a less than objective newspaper article is hardly a good starting point. While the structure in question is clearly not in sync with everyone’s taste (what is?), it does offer a compelling and dynamic platform for clearly articulated dialogue.

Perhaps some of it could be posted on this topic.

~post edited by futura girl, due to the removal of some previous posts in the thread 4-23-07

Udo Min
Modern Master

Postby Udo Min » Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:53 am

I think this architect invented a new style. We can call it plate tectonics architecture... I sort of like it... maybe someone can get him to fund a water cistern super project to help start a test rain forest on the hilltop adjacent..

johnnyapollo

Postby johnnyapollo » Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:12 am

Personally I think the house is interesting and would want to see some additional shots, especially when finished, from the courtyards and near ground-level. It's rather excessive for my tastes, and I certainly empathise with the local valley dwellers - however I feel like the results are more a statement regarding local government than anything. When you read between the lines it seems there is a lot of finger pointing after the fact - obviously the structure was going to be massive - the thought that it wouldn't be seen from the valley is absurd (even though the owner expanded the total grounds footage, thinking that the proposed building wouldn't be seen seems rather short-sighted - pun intended). It also sounds like the owner is willing to ameliorate the effect of his house to appease the locals - something many wouldn't take the time to do.

-- John
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."
Philip K. Dick

Desperately Seeking Modern
http://modernseeker.blogspot.com

Perks
Most Illustrious Grand Member

Postby Perks » Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:27 am

From the outside/above, it looks like an abomination...But I bet the house is going to be spectacular inside once it's finished. I just wish the owner had a shred of consideration toward others.
Andy Perkins, Broker/Owner

BOXOUTBM

Postby BOXOUTBM » Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:42 am

I actually sort of like this home, in the same way that I think Hudson Hawk was a great Movie. Completely different, and somewhat quirky. I wouldn't mind getting in to see this place once it is completed. I can't imagine what a 64k sqft home is like inside. I can only imagine that it would feel like a Hotel or Resort. Also how often do you think the Owner would actually use more than two rooms in this place. My house is only 1130 sqft and I hardly ever go into the Guest room.

Josquin

Closer Look

Postby Josquin » Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:56 pm

post50modern

Postby post50modern » Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:55 pm

kjansma
Modern Master

Postby kjansma » Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:04 pm

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:24 am

i look forward to seeing more photos of this house from a normal perspective (i.e. not from a helicopter).

MD²

Postby MD² » Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:54 am

Sorry Futura, no pics, but here's a Guy Dreier designed house that was featured on HGTV in an episode that also featured John Lautner's Sheats/Goldsetin house (this needs RealPlayer): http://www.hgtv.com/cr/cda/playerex/1,1 ... 30,00.html

I don't get why everyone just bashed this without even really looking at the architecture.... The power of media I guess?

The house's materials seem to blend with the surroundings... Plus it seems rather "Low profile": No four stories high pitched McMansion roofs (is that what people are asking for?)

I think we all agree that no one needs such a surface to live in or even to entertain & accomodate dozens of guests...

Mr. Dreier does seem to work more for the spectacular than for the actual people inhabiting the place. But then I guess that would make him a pretty good choice of designer for that type of client, no? Unless you would want some XVIIth century pseudo European castle-like mansion in its place?

grh122
Modern Master

Postby grh122 » Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:25 pm

sky

Re: I read the article

Postby sky » Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:15 pm

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:29 pm

Sky - you rule.
:smokin:

MD²

Postby MD² » Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:37 pm

grh122
Modern Master

Postby grh122 » Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:55 pm

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:23 pm

"Better Living Through Modernism"

ch

Postby ch » Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:35 am

When I first posted this topic with the heading, "64,000 sq. feet of ugly?" (note the question mark) I had hoped we would be discussing such concepts as contextualism, community, homeowners' rights, and the big one, can even modern sometimes be ugly? I am sorry to see such controversy arise over these issues.

IN MY OPINION, I don't think that just because something is modern we should automatically give it a free pass. From the statements of the neighbors, I don't think that anyone wanted to see a McMansion on that pristine ridge. They didn't want to see anything!

Did the town abdicate its responsibility while chasing dreams of architectural grandeur? Even if WE end up finding the end result attractive, what about the people down below who may find it ugly? Is there a greater responsibility when one's project impacts those around you? Opinion seems divided.

This is a double-edged sword. The next time some local government decides to bend the rules for a personal monument, it could well be for a Tuscan fantasy on your mountaintop!

(And I still think he should have called Bart Prince!)

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:17 am

"Better Living Through Modernism"

Connie
Modern Master

Postby Connie » Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:03 am

MD²

Postby MD² » Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:29 am

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:49 am

MD²

Postby MD² » Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:58 am

grh122
Modern Master

Postby grh122 » Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:08 am

ch

Postby ch » Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:24 pm

The Hope house is a great analogy. The article paints it as a complete disaster architecturally but I must admit I do like the sight of it up on that hill - like a giant slumbering turtle. But then again, I wasn't a homeowner on Mr. Hope's downslope in the 1970s...

I wonder if anyone with roots in Palm Springs knows if there was a similiar controversy when this house was built? Were any variances granted? Was there any outcry against Lautner's design or Hope's intention to build on the summit?

One of my favorite quotes regarding this kind of issue comes from Fran Leibowitz. She said, "Your right to wear that lime green pantsuit ends the moment it meets my eye."

modfan

Hope's

Postby modfan » Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:56 pm

Wonder is that one really within PS city limits, I thought the city limits only extended to the flats, once up the hill you are in Riverside County and under their juristiction (which is most likely less strict)

domus48
Modern Socialite

Postby domus48 » Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:14 pm

Duane Hagadone’s Palm Desert compound is quite architecturally compelling to say the least – based on the limited and awkward images available; there is considerable thought and expertise evident throughout this edifice. There’s no question that a design this unusual would bring about controversy – unfortunately, much of which appears to be based on the occupants wealth and status, not the design itself.

It’s evident that this structure is much more than the sum of its parts. But a reasonable architectural analysis is extremely difficult given the structures complexity and the limited views/information regarding the overall scheme.

This design is not for everyone… nor is it intended to be. It’s a private residence that’s sited conspicuously. Does it respond to the landscape? I think so. Does it offer a foil to the barren surroundings? Hard to argue that it doesn’t. Is it an affront to ones sensibilities? Some people yes, others no.

You don’t have to go far to find architectural disasters of a much grander scale – be it physical size or metaphoric. To be honest, I find some of Frank Lloyd Wrights works pretty painful on many levels.

Then there’s Gehry.

scowsa
Modern Guru

Postby scowsa » Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:25 pm

Josquin

Elevations

Postby Josquin » Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:34 pm

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”