STLModern's new house!

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
STLModern
Modern Master

STLModern's new house!

Postby STLModern » Sat Apr 21, 2007 5:09 pm

I'd like to invite you all in for a quick tour of our new home. We close on May 4th! The overall interior is in good shape but the exterior needs some love. I will be asking everyone on Lotta Livin for suggestions/ideas real soon. We are excited to begin working on our home but we will take the advice that so many of you have suggested..."live in it for a year first".

Our home was built in 1964 by Burton Duenke who is known as the person that brought the "califonia ranch" to St. Louis. The house sits on top of a 100' bluff mainly overlooking an 800 acre nature preserve.

There are a few things that we must do soon.
-Put up a fence (I have some ideas but I would like your suggestions as well)
-Re-paint entry way (Clockwork Orange is what we currently call it)
-Remove interior shutters on windows
-Remove overgrown landscaping
-Lighting
-House numbers

Once we move in I will take quality pictures with all our furniture in place. The Wife and I have been scouring garage and estate sales for the past few weekends looking for additional furniture.

We are having a party on May 18th for those of you close enough to join us!

If there are any suggestions you have right of the top of your heads...fire away!

Thanks,
Dan

SoMo
Modern Socialite
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby SoMo » Sat Apr 21, 2007 5:35 pm

Congratulations, Dan! NICE place. I can't wait to see pics once you've done the things you mentioned and it has your furniture and your style in there.

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Sat Apr 21, 2007 6:39 pm

Wow. Congratulations ! Not really a "fixer" yet plenty of opportunities to make it your own. And what a great site !

Gorgeous kitchen. Maybe you'll replace the screaming lime backsplash ? Those cabinets look like solid wood ? The handles are fairly recent vintage, I believe.

I don't hate the shutters. . . Our client on a million-dollar redo of his 80's modern home is retaining his plantation shutters; they work with the stripped-down aesthetic quite well. But discreet roller blinds are a good alternative. . .?

Best wishes -- SDR
"I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away." Bender

Stephen
Modern Guru

Postby Stephen » Sat Apr 21, 2007 8:43 pm

Dan,

I was just thinking about you guys the other day and realized we hadn't heard from you in a while.

Also, are you sure "Burton Duenke" wasn't Cliff May's name while traveling incognito? jk....

Anyhow, great place. And as nice as you made your previous place...this one is defnitely more suiting to your preferences.
Stephen Meade
SoCal Realtor - DRE 01378749
Pacific West Assoc. of Realtors President-Elect
http://www.OCModHomes.com
http://www.CliffMaySocal.com
and
Cliff May Homeowner

ch
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby ch » Sun Apr 22, 2007 3:31 am

Great looking house on a nice piece of land. I especially like the batten pattern as seen in the last photo.

Will you be painting the exterior ultimately? I don't think the red and blue do justice to the house - I'd like to see it tied more to the ground with earthy colors.

wwilber
Modern Master

Postby wwilber » Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:13 am

Congrats on the new place! It looks really exciting, and I know you guys will make it perfect.
Last edited by wwilber on Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:53 am

I wonder what damage was done to the stone attaching that god awful mantle?

spinsLPs
Most Illustrious Grand Member
Most Illustrious Grand Member

Postby spinsLPs » Sun Apr 22, 2007 8:42 am

Fab house! Where's the band going to rehearse?

will-san
Modern Fan

Postby will-san » Sun Apr 22, 2007 11:35 am

What a great place! Congrats.

I would love to see a couple of in-grade uplights to graze up that awsome chimney.

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Sun Apr 22, 2007 2:22 pm

Good idea !

Thanks for noting the gable-end batten grid, Craig; I'd missed that, and so did May and Choat. :D

It's a really sweet house. I wonder why a couple of rooms have a little crown molding. . .

SDR
"I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away." Bender

S'Wonderful
Modern Socialite

Postby S'Wonderful » Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:11 pm

Congrats on the new house! What an incredible view! And how nice that it's a preserve, so that you won't eventually be looking down on other houses. You'll get some good use out of that deck!

As far as suggestions go, I agree about the house color, and the parquet floors look a bit "country-ish." Still, nothing that needs to be done right away. Enjoy! :cheers:
Life is good!

roxy500
Modern Master

Postby roxy500 » Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:26 pm

WOW!! I can't wait to see what you guys do to this house since your last place was sweet.

I like the acid green tiles in the kitchen. Since those cabinets are definitely modern, I think they fit in pretty well. I bet they aren't as loud in person.

Good job!

johnnyapollo

Postby johnnyapollo » Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:00 am

Looks like the bedroom mouldings have been replaced - I like the look of the wood but the edge detail looks out-of-place. Is the flooring in the living room real wood or linoleum? I was recently in a neighbor's house that had some really interesting parquet flooring throughout - it was much more basic than yours though - your basic alternating grid.

Love the over-all look and really like the deck railings - I'm sending some pics to a friend who wants to remove some horrible pickets the previous owner put on his new home.

-- John
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."
Philip K. Dick

Desperately Seeking Modern
http://modernseeker.blogspot.com

STLModern
Modern Master

Postby STLModern » Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:49 am

Thank you all for your comments. The Wife and I are so excited we can't sleep at night. We have so many ideas for the new place.

The fence will be the first thing since we have two pugs. We are going to do a black vinyl coated fence along the perimeter of the bluff. As for down the left side of the house we are going to do a privacy fence. Should we keep with the theme of the siding and make it look the same?

I was also considering something like this:

Comments on fences?

SDR,
The cabinets are solid Cherry by Kraftmaid. The shutters have got to go! They are good quality though. Roller blinds are a great idea. Any brands you suggest?

Stephen,
It just may have been Cliff May using a different name. I kinda thought the exterior had a Cliff May look myself.

Craig,
I will definitely be painting the exterior. I completely agree with making it tie to the ground and surroundings more. I'm thinking about an olive green with dark brown trim. I'm also open to suggestions.

wwilber,
Any info you can dig up let me know. I did a little internet searching but didn't find much. There is a book that I think I may buy about St. Louis modern architecture that mentions Burton Duenke. If you're free on the 18th please do stop by. It would be nice to meet you.

egads,
Don't get me started on that mantle. That was one of the first things I though about when I stepped into that room. "I hope that A$$hole didn't screw up that fireplace with that mantle". Yep, he did. Ther is a wooden cleat built into the stone, so I will have to come up with some type of other mantle to take it's place. Suggestions?

spinsLPs,
No band practice at this dig. We are currently practicing at a warehouse in the city which has been working out great.

will-san,
Already planned on uplighting the whole front of the house. We see eye to eye!

SDR,
I was actually considering removing the horizontal battens to give it a more vertical look, but I believe some of them are covering the plywood seams. I will have to replace most of the moulding in the house. Everyroom has something different. Nothing is consistant.

S'Wonderful,
I will have a new subdivision of villa's going in down below to the right of the house. But directly behind it is the nature reserve. The deck will get a lot of use! The floors are not as bad in person. Once our furniture is in place it will look much better. A friend is going to come over the weekend we move in and wax and polish them for me. Underneat the wood flooring is the original Armstrong asphalt (asbestos) tiles. I would love to be able to tear all the flooring up and stain the concrete but would worry about stiring up the asbestos.

roxy500,
I have mixed feelings about the green. At first I hated it. Now it's kinda growing on me. It's definitely not as loud in person. 50% of the people like them and 50% hate them.

johnnyapollo,
The Master Bedroom was recently remodeled and that is why the molding is new. I agree withe the style being wrong. The parquet is real wood. The railing are kinda neat. I will need to finish them around the whole deck though.

KateT(CA)
Modern Master

Postby KateT(CA) » Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:44 am

I love the green backsplash and your beautiful horizontal fence!!!!
Best regards,
Kate at Studio 85

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:55 am

johnnyapollo

Postby johnnyapollo » Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:46 am

The mantle cleat is probably attached with some screws set into expansion anchors - probably in the mortar (easier to drill into that than in the stone) - I'd pull the cleat off and repair the holes if it's possible - much better without than with in my opinion.

-- John
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Philip K. Dick

Desperately Seeking Modern

http://modernseeker.blogspot.com

STLModern
Modern Master

Postby STLModern » Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:13 pm

synthetic space
Modern Master

Postby synthetic space » Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:05 pm

The original owners of our house added a huge wooden mantle to the stone fireplace after it was built. We were able to remove the cleats and fill the holes, and now you would really have to study the fireplace to tell that the mantle was ever there.

wwilber
Modern Master

Postby wwilber » Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:51 pm

I agree with some of the others in hoping that your mantle will be easily corrected. You may be surprised.

I also think your existing flooring will work with your furnishings. I have yet to decide what to do with our floors, but we also have Armstrong tiles under the carpet. Ours are a very dark brown with red and cream flecks.

Ours is nothing spectacular, but I added a pic of our outdoor lighting. I had to use the flash for it to show up, so the "hot spots" are really more diffused in person, but you get the idea. You are sure to gain the most dramatic and inviting results while highlighting the architecture. Especially the stone.

Do you know of other houses like yours in the area? I know there are a few like ours and very similar to ours in Kirkwood, Des Peres, Manchester, and I think Ballwin, but I don't recall seeing any like yours over this way. It would be nice if you could get some ideas or inspiratioin that way as well. I'll get back with you abouth the 18th. We may have plans already but I'll let you know for sure.

Nate
My neighborhood:

BOXOUTBM

Postby BOXOUTBM » Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:15 am

For some reason I missed this Post. Great house STLModern. You guys move fast, it seems like only a couple weeks ago you placed you house on the Market. Regardig the Floor, It looks Ok from the pics. I am sure with the Furniture from your old house it will work nicely

STLModern
Modern Master

Postby STLModern » Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:51 am

We actually ended up selling our house "for sale by owner" on craigslist! All I did was post an add with a link to: http://www.zillow.com/HomeDetails.htm?zprop=2537081 I reposted the add every 3-4 days for about three weeks. Having "lots" of good quality pictures helped. I had one open house and the day after I had an offer for the full asking price! Almost makes you think...should I have been asking more?

The flooring in the new house really isn't that bad with furniture in place. My friend is going to come over the weekend we move in and polish and wax them for us.

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:58 am

Nice house! I guess maybe we will see you this Friday.
"Better Living Through Modernism"

STLModern
Modern Master

Postby STLModern » Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:41 am

Udo Min
Modern Master

Postby Udo Min » Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:09 am

tallrick
Modern Socialite

Postby tallrick » Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:24 am

Make modern your own, don't trust others to- it's our future.

MikeLindsey
Modern Master

Postby MikeLindsey » Sun Apr 29, 2007 6:19 am

Congrats on the new place. Keep us posted with lots of pics.

Nick32vic
Modern Fan

Postby Nick32vic » Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:41 am

I know this thread is kind of old but your house is rad. Any updates?
-Nick

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”