Eichler featured on HGTV.

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
retrocool
Modern Master

Eichler featured on HGTV.

Postby retrocool » Fri Aug 01, 2003 7:09 pm

I just happen to be watching Curb Appeal on HGTV and they did a redo on an Eichler. I thought it turned out pretty well. They will probably re-run it soon so keep your eyes open.

See Ya,
Retrocool

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Fri Aug 08, 2003 2:17 pm

retrocool: adding a copper facia, erecting an ugly, non functional fence along with the silly trellises was an absolute embarrassment! HGTV and the home owner should be ashamed. They even replaced the original address numbers with unreadable copper. The only thing they got right was the new walk way. Other than that, it set Eichler preservation back 20 years! The “improvementsâ€￾ were not in line with the architecture or mid-century modernism.

L.A.kevin
Special Secret Modern Agent
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby L.A.kevin » Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:57 am

I just caught the first half of this show on Saturday. I'm assuming it's this show. They kept on going on how their ugly color choices were "so very modern."

What a travesty! I had to turn it when they were replacing the original siding on the garage door with aluminum siding.

Curb Appeal needs to be taken out to the curb for this one.

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Tue Sep 28, 2004 8:22 am

LA Kev: this thread is a year old ; )

That's OK, because this isn't the first Eichler f'ed up. Here are my comments from the Eichler Network regarding the show that's currently running...

here's the show
http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/rm_home_ext_be ... 06,00.html

" I do feel the paint scheme is inappropriate for an Eichler, or any mid-century modern home. By adding the trim color (white, I think) it's too busy and draws your attention to white lines, something Eichler's architects would not want to happen. Proper contrasting colors are reserved for beams, posts, fascia, and the front door.

Adding a trim color to windows and door jams makes the home look smaller and not characteristically mid-century modern. I am not so sure about the blue either. Coupled with the white trim makes it look like someone is trying to make a craftsman out of their Eichler, a common mistake. The blue would work better without the white."

scottkaycee
Modern Master

Decent curb appeal Eichler eisode

Postby scottkaycee » Tue Sep 28, 2004 10:42 am

There has been at least one sympathetic Eichler episode. It was for a retro couple that had their rooms themed. They ended up painting the house grey and putting up a new screen wall, numbers, and sympathetic landscaping including some sensitive pruning of an old juniper tree. Oh and a copper tube trellis inspired by a vintage design. They tried to play up the whole retro thing with a pink limo, and in the end the owners showed their intact/restored Mustang. I was suprised because they did'nt mess up the house, did anyone else see this episode? It was with the new host, and the new credit sequence. Hey, by the way is Extreme Homes on anymore?

Chimay

My head hurts...

Postby Chimay » Tue Sep 28, 2004 11:21 am

The white trim around the windows and other features is really awful. This is like all of those Eichlers and P&Ks I've seen where the owners put in these really ugly, thick-framed white vinyl windows to replace the thin, aluminum-framed ones. You gotta wonder what they're thinking (i.e. "hmmm... how can I make my house look more like a cheap, run-of-the-mill, contemporary tract home...")

But Joe, weren't you talking about another episode, previously, where they put up a really ugly copper thing and made the fence and gates too low to serve any useful purpose? I didn't remember that as being the same house.

streinen
Modern Master

Postby streinen » Tue Sep 28, 2004 12:09 pm

L.A.kevin

Postby L.A.kevin » Tue Sep 28, 2004 12:10 pm

Last edited by L.A.kevin on Tue Sep 28, 2004 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chimay

Their designers?

Postby Chimay » Tue Sep 28, 2004 12:22 pm

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Tue Sep 28, 2004 12:40 pm

Chimay

Doin' it TIGHT

Postby Chimay » Tue Sep 28, 2004 12:47 pm

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Tue Sep 28, 2004 1:47 pm

Chimay

Postby Chimay » Tue Sep 28, 2004 1:50 pm

rambling
Modern Socialite

Postby rambling » Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:01 pm

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Thu Jul 14, 2005 8:15 am

gladly, rambling. But I need to write it first!

It's been incubating for a while. Over and over, I keep coming to the same conclusions: restoring with simple materials of the period is often the least expensive route to go. Many of those materials and products are still available, it's just looking in the right place. I have a few projects to finish and will focus on house in the fall.

:cheers:

PSMeiselman
Modern Fan

Postby PSMeiselman » Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:41 am

I think everybody is confused over the purpose of HGTV. It is not to showcase design so much as to sell products. HGTV purposely tells us it's about style but it's really about sales.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”