Help STLModern choose a fence style

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
STLModern
Modern Master

Help STLModern choose a fence style

Postby STLModern » Tue May 01, 2007 4:11 pm

Well we have a new house and now we need a fence for our puggies (Billy and Judge). My Wife (Tiffany) and I are torn between vertical or horizontal. Should we match our siding? Should we go with horizontal slats? Or should we do a white vinyl picket fence...Ha Ha! j/k

Help, we need to make a decision quick!

Here are some pics of the house. The blue represents the privacy fence. The purple represents the black vinyl coated chain link.

And these are the fences we are considering:

jesgord
Modern Master

Postby jesgord » Tue May 01, 2007 4:31 pm

I vote for a horizontal louvered style fence. I don’t think there is a need to match the vertical nature of the house siding. I’m of the opinion that the horizontal lines will add another interesting architectural element to the property. I have a feeling the floodgates are gonna open up wide on this thread. Prepare yourself for a bevy of answers, sketches, renderings, etc. :wink:

tallrick
Modern Socialite
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby tallrick » Tue May 01, 2007 5:09 pm

I would also go with a concrete louvered fence. They were very popular in the 50's and last a long time. If you pour the pieces yourself they are inexpensive too!
Make modern your own, don't trust others to- it's our future.

jesgord
Modern Master

Postby jesgord » Wed May 02, 2007 7:16 am

I was actually thinking about a wood fence with fixed wood louvers. similar to the far left portion of the image below.

There are many great examples of this type of fence in the Sunset Fences and Gates book. I'm also partial to the classic basket weave...but don't think it would necessarily work here.

Luka
Modern Master

Postby Luka » Wed May 02, 2007 8:11 am

I think the horizontallook, which I'm a big fan of, has a more contemporary/Asian feel where the vertical look on the Eichlers/Rummers looks more authentic. Either way would be a great fit... so yeah, not much help here :D .

STLModern
Modern Master

Postby STLModern » Wed May 02, 2007 8:55 am

jesgord,

I do like the horizontal fixed louvered look. Thanks for posting that picture.

rockabilly
Modern Socialite

Postby rockabilly » Wed May 02, 2007 7:31 pm

ok, I'll go out on a limb. I love horizontal fences. those posted look great. however, I think really what you might factor in is your current siding on the majority of your house (ie back side) which is vertical. I'd suggest if you go vertical to try to mimic the look of your house siding over to the fence (like the eichler style you first posted). however, I don't really see a fence pic posted that matches the look of your siding. I'm sure others might have access to those pics. simple and clean seem to be the key in a great modern look (my opinion of course). I'd try to focus on making your fence as an 'extension' of your home and blur the lines as much as possible to that effect. matching color, texture and such might work well.
disclaimer: Im a MCM noob and just on the learning curve here. my opinion isnt worth much!

oops, just found these nice photos along the lines of what I was thinking of!
Geek with Style

wwilber
Modern Master

Postby wwilber » Wed May 02, 2007 8:44 pm

While I think either a horizontal or vertical fence would work well, I think horizontal would look nice.
Last edited by wwilber on Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Wed May 02, 2007 8:56 pm

Note that one of the features of this new fence-work is a gate next to the garage. Another is the "dropped" portion just to the right of that. A third is that the privacy fence running down the lot line appears to slope down toward the drop-off (it would be unusual if it didn't). All of these factors, and the desired degree of "transparency," will affect the decision -- and/or be affected by it ! Finally, speed and ease of construction seem to be called for in this case.

I like the super-simple slat design in photo #7 (gray-green house with flat roof ). It is a little more self-consciously "modern" than the other horizontal designs. (The red louvered one -- and I like louvers -- is really more like lapped siding, in this case, which would fight with your board-and-batten house, wouldn't it ? The last one has an Arts and Crafts feel, with the "random-width" slats.) Number 7 is also a little more "transparent" than most designs, which seems approriate in light of the fabulous view to be had in this vicinity.

Note that the design calls for concealed posts as much as possible. Let them appear on the side less normally visible. The other handsome design (#9) has little fillers between slats at posts; yours will be simpler to make.

While the "correct" construction of fences (and every other architectural feature) calls for plumb and level courses of any material, regardless of terrain, you might be excused for letting your lot-line fence follow the ground. It would be smoother and would call less attention to itself this way. (Too bad the ground can't run uninterruptedly between buildings, as between rooms, in the modern house ! :wink:)

The fence will look nice in raw wood initially, and can be painted later if you like.

(In the area to the right of the garage, must the fence jump down to the ground ? The present shape, cantilevering over the recessed foundation wall, looks good to me. . . But I think the slatted pattern would conform well to that drop if needed.)

SDR
"I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away." Bender

scowsa
Modern Guru

Postby scowsa » Thu May 03, 2007 10:40 am

I am a fan of the horizontal line and given the most visible fence from the street will at the side of the garage it will work well with the horizontal lines in the garage door.

One interesting horizontal line fence is the one on Steve Erhlich's Venice CA home which you can see at

Go to Featured Projects and select 700 Palms Residence.

When it was built I was intrigued and a site inspection showed thats it's built of blue/gray Trex which appears to have grooves routered on the horizontal edges and thin steel put in the grooves. I am not sure it this is for extra privacy (given the lap pool) or to give the Trex more stability, given its horizontal mounting.

That blue/gray Trex would go well with you house and no painting!

5280mod
Modern Socialite

Go Horizontal

Postby 5280mod » Thu May 03, 2007 11:09 am

There is a lot of vertical going on (including all those great trees) and I agree that a horizontal fence would be a good addition.
Shannon Stanbro
720.279.4884 Cell
877.713.1110 Toll Free
www.5280mod.com

jesgord
Modern Master

Postby jesgord » Thu May 03, 2007 12:01 pm

I agree 100% with SDR about the cocealed posts. As he mentions, I also think that cantilevering the fence over the recessed foundation wall, looks good. (Its hard to see the condition in its entirety from the pic).

Finally, while I understand SDR's concern about a horizontal fence competing with the siding, I have to disagree.

Ultimately, I think, its about what you want to accomplish visually with the fence. Do you want it to disappear/ be as unubtrusive as possible? If so, SDR is, indeed, correct. Or, do you want it to serve as a seperate architectural/design element from the house.

At the end of the day, its all about what you prefer. There is no right answer when it comes to questions like this. So long as you don't put up white pvc pickets, most everything that has been suggested will look great.

STLModern
Modern Master

Postby STLModern » Mon May 07, 2007 9:08 am

Well, weve decided on horizontal. Unfortunately due to money constraints we won't be able to do the whole run down the side of the house. We are going to take it off the far back corner out to our property line (ten feet) and down forty feet to the brush. By doing this we will save $3000 and I will be able to have the fence slatted on both sides as opposed to only the outside facing the neighbor.

This top picture is the fence design we chose:

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Mon May 07, 2007 4:46 pm

Yay ! My favorite. I admire your instinct to give your neighbor the prettier side of the fence -- I was afraid that ethic was dying. I'm glad you can make it so both sides are pretty ! I hope you will be able to keep most of the fence rigorously level; the architectural nature of this fence may look suddenly "barnyard" when it roams up and down. But I realize that may not be practical. . .

As to the issue of horizontal fencing competing with the home's vertical siding, I object only to a fence that looks (to me) like clapboard siding, for this vertical-board-and-batten building. I guess it's a matter of the appearance of two different kinds of (wood) cladding on the same building. And I really do like louvers -- bring em on !

I'm still waiting for the all-louver-and-glass house. . .

SDR
"I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away." Bender

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Tue May 08, 2007 3:21 am

good choice! and my favorite.
also hope you can avoid the 'farm style', following the terrain.
probably obvious, but make sure the installers use good fasteners.
rust haze down the line is a horrible thing.
....i wake every morning to the pattern of nails coming through my post and beam, t&g ceiling. a roof put on by the previous owners. fades throughout the rest of the house, so they did catch the mistake at some point.
anxious to see what you do with landscaping...and the back patio.
that is my next project...though lack of funds and 'design brain freeze'
puts it on hold for now.

Udo Min
Modern Master

Postby Udo Min » Fri May 11, 2007 6:55 pm

STL-

Here are some wire mesh options for fencing from Master Halco -- then you could come up with a cool framing option for the welded wire mesh:
http://www.fenceonline.com/pdf/brochures/EuroScape.pdf

There are many other welded wire mesh manufacturers out there- but I'm not sure about the plastic coating that protects the wire...

Or just for fun here is a 20+ year build fence:
http://www.tjhsst.edu/~dhyatt/trip/drogo05.jpg

These are some shots from our last fence project on a house we sold a few years ago...
http://formcastshadow.net/house/Fence/B ... -Fence.jpg
http://formcastshadow.net/house/Fence/Side-Yard.jpg

roxy500
Modern Master

Postby roxy500 » Sat May 12, 2007 8:06 am

delete, that is super cool. It's like you lived in a Christo piece.

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Sat May 12, 2007 8:25 am

http://www.greenscreen.com/home.html
something we considered, or a homemade version of...
to block out the nieghbors. we just need about 30ft and maybe
using it as the back wall of an outdoor room.

used alot now in NYC.

Udo Min
Modern Master

Postby Udo Min » Sat May 12, 2007 12:59 pm

Roxy-
Our neigbor also said it reminded her of a Christo.. We can even remember like it was yesterday- driving out to Winthrop Wa. to pick out some wood from a lumber yard for that fence.. We didn't want to block out the view or any light & found the poly very nice to work with, but had to think for a while to come up with a frame idea that would'nt blow down in a Seattle fall windstorms... We would always get a big thumbs up from the #41 metro bus driver as we were building it... Took some time to get used to the stark whiteness of it. We were sad when we sold our home to leave the fence behind...
:)

Rockandlounge-

On some of our drives out to Whidbey Island near Langley, Wa. we would see that some of the Islanders would tack rectangular/ square mesh on two sides of a 4x4 post & just filled the space between the two meshes with yard waste/leaves to build more of a functional living earth wall.....Very similar in look to your greenscreen material.
Cool Stuff-
e

roxy500
Modern Master

Postby roxy500 » Sat May 12, 2007 9:17 pm

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”