Tips for Flat Roofing

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
rockabilly
Modern Socialite
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Tips for Flat Roofing

Postby rockabilly » Thu May 03, 2007 8:34 am

it looks like the home I'm buying at the end of the month will need a new roof (according to the inspector). that said, I don't believe there are leaks at this time as we don't see evidence of water damage. the inspector noted extensive wear on the roof and said its at the 'end of its life.' apparently the seller is going to be getting an estimate of costs to replace the roof of which I'll get a credit for.

I'm looking for advice on what to do and not to do when replacing the roof as well as an idea of costs for 2600 square foot house (split level) in denver colorado. below is a picture of the house (also seen on my other post).

thanks so much in advance for all the help and input!

ps. current utility bills seem very low at $250/m mid winter and insulation seems good on the existing roof, but I'm open to improving things if the costs aren't too high.

Geek with Style

robbhouston
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby robbhouston » Thu May 03, 2007 8:45 am

There was a good article on roofing in the recent issue of CA Modern. It's also on the Eichler Network website...

http://www.eichlernetwork.com/spot_reroof.html

Might be a starting point, at least.

Your house is cool. Would love to see some interior shots.

Best of luck!

--Robb
http://www.nashvillemodern.com
A little website I created to showcase my home and other MCMs in and around the Nashville TN area.

rockabilly
Modern Socialite

Postby rockabilly » Thu May 03, 2007 12:28 pm

excellent info on flat roofs in that link. just what I was looking for. thanks!

does anyone in the denver area have experience putting on new flat roofing material? I'm trying to find out what it cost them vs the number that the sellers might come back with. also looking for tips for colorado specific concerns (given that it differs a bit from eichler homes in sunny california!).

thanks in advance!
Geek with Style

comodern
Modern Fan

Postby comodern » Thu May 03, 2007 10:34 pm

We have only been in our home since January, so I am not sure what all the long term concerns are of people living in Colorado with flat roofs. This last winter was bad for us, but fortunately it isn't like that every year. We had about 6-8 inches of snow on our roof consitently for quite sometime. Then there was a couple inches of ice under the snow. Our temperatures stayed pretty cool with snowfall almost weekly. My husband tried to pull as much snow off the roof as he could to try and help the ice melt on the days the temperature actually got above freezing. We were really just concerned about so much weight being on our roof for a prolonged time. Some of the nails did start to pop under the carport which was very alarming. We had a spring blizzard a few years back and several roofs on businesses caved in. I kept having visions of that happening. The previous owners of our home had a new roof put on in 2003, but it was still a nerve wracking winter.
I know that hail is the other major concern here. Someone told me that it isn't uncommon for people in Colorado to get new roofs every few years from hail damage. Not sure how accurate that is, but still interesting to hear.

I would be interested to hear what other people have to say about their flat roofs out here or recommendations for good roofing companies.

Josquin
Most Illustrious Grand Member
Most Illustrious Grand Member

Foam Roof

Postby Josquin » Fri May 04, 2007 6:37 am

Here's a link to a previous discussion of foam roofs in Southern California. Although it's not Denver, it may be helpful.
http://www.lottaliving.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=5460

domus48
Modern Socialite

Postby domus48 » Fri May 04, 2007 7:43 am

The roof assembly is perhaps the single most crucial assembly of a structure. Flat roofs elevate the previous statement at least ten fold. Add either a wet, humid environment or aggressive winters to that equation and... well, you've got your hands full. That said...

In the course of your due diligence for this property it would be prudent to secure your own estimates for roof remediation -- assuming the owner is agreeable. Perhaps your greatest concern should be what's happening within the roof assembly itself. Are there or has there been termite damage? Have there been leaks in the past -- merely painted over? What is the condition of the substrate? Is there evidence of ice dams? How many layers of roofing (previous re-roof) exist?

Then there is the question of what to replace the roof with as there are several systems (as can be reviewed in the previous posters link). Not to overwhelm you but you will need to come up to speed on the basics of roofing quickly in order to avoid a potential money pit.

Off hand, you could anticipate anywhere from 10 to 30K depending on condition, related issues, type of roof you opt for, and overall square footage.

I'm dealing with the same issue myself... compounded with less than adequate original details and 60 years of poor to no roof maintenance. I'll end with this: If the owner comes back to you with a 5K deduct/allowance, I would be v-e-r-y suspect.

Best of luck!

kandersen
Modern Master

Postby kandersen » Fri May 04, 2007 10:27 am

googieagog
Modern Master

Postby googieagog » Fri May 04, 2007 3:42 pm

You might want to take a careful look at the facia & edge flashing, as well as the ground below, to see if there are places that water is flowing over the facia instead of going to downspouts, scuppers or wherever it's supposed to go. Our flat-roofed house had this problem. It resulted in rotted facia boards and water dripping from the entry overhang during rainstorms. Solution was to add a gravel stop to the top edge of the facia. Or, it could be added to the edge flashing. It's best to take care of this while doing a reroof.

rockabilly
Modern Socialite

Postby rockabilly » Sat May 05, 2007 9:16 am

thanks everyone for the excellent advice. I'll follow it and hopefully things will go smoothly
Geek with Style

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Sat May 05, 2007 12:46 pm

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”