Dallas, TX 1963 MCM...architect???? We found him!

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
1963modern1
Modern Socialite
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Dallas, TX 1963 MCM...architect???? We found him!

Postby 1963modern1 » Thu May 03, 2007 8:16 pm

Hello everyone, this is our first post and we are seeking help in identifying the architect of our Dallas MCM. The area is know as Lake Highlands and we moved in back in August '06'. Our research traced back to the original owner but that is a far as we can get. We do know that it is not a Ju-Nel. Any leads would be appreciated.
Thank you! Eric
once at site, click on "PICTURES" to left and there are two interior shots too.

http://www.msnusers.com//1963contempmod ... &photoID=5
Last edited by 1963modern1 on Sun May 20, 2007 5:37 pm, edited 7 times in total.

drsiebling
Modern Master

Postby drsiebling » Thu May 03, 2007 8:24 pm

Unfortunately, your link isn't working. I just purchased a MCM in the lakewood area of Dallas and have done quite a bit of research on the local architects that practiced this style.

Can you post a direct link to the pic?

robbhouston
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby robbhouston » Fri May 04, 2007 3:40 am

I believe you can access the image here..

http://www.msnusers.com/1963contempmode ... &PhotoID=5

Cool house. Great condition. Would enjoy seeing more images.

--Robb
Last edited by robbhouston on Fri May 04, 2007 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.nashvillemodern.com
A little website I created to showcase my home and other MCMs in and around the Nashville TN area.

1963modern1
Modern Socialite

Postby 1963modern1 » Fri May 04, 2007 10:23 am

mikeybob2
Modern Groupie

Postby mikeybob2 » Sat May 05, 2007 5:58 pm

What a cool house... I love the planter in the den..and especially love the way the house "floats" on the right side.

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Sat May 05, 2007 7:57 pm

Wow. The tapered bargeboards (gable-end roof trim) are well-nigh unique. They give the house an Asian accent ? Is the left-hand module faced in brick ?

Any wall-hung sliding-door credenza, floating above a brick planter bed, is an Incredenza ! What a little modern heaven -- the den. More !

SDR
"I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away." Bender

1963modern1
Modern Socialite

Postby 1963modern1 » Sun May 06, 2007 6:27 am

Dallasmodern
Modern Master

Lake Highlands

Postby Dallasmodern » Mon May 07, 2007 7:55 pm

Which part of Lake Highlands?

1963modern1
Modern Socialite

Re: Lake Highlands

Postby 1963modern1 » Tue May 08, 2007 8:24 am

Dallasmodern
Modern Master

Jack Wilson

Postby Dallasmodern » Tue May 08, 2007 10:09 am

Say no more, I'm familair with the area. Lot's of 50's and 60's contempory homes. The one on the corner of Capri Court is one of my favorites. I believe Jack Wilson, who I believe worked for Howard Meyer, may have built a few homes in that neighborhood (Plano Parkway). Does that name sound familiar?

1963modern1
Modern Socialite

Re: Jack Wilson

Postby 1963modern1 » Tue May 08, 2007 12:06 pm

drsiebling
Modern Master

Postby drsiebling » Fri May 11, 2007 7:17 am

1963modern1
Modern Socialite

Postby 1963modern1 » Fri May 11, 2007 12:51 pm

1963modern1
Modern Socialite

Postby 1963modern1 » Mon May 14, 2007 9:31 am

Thanks, again Ben.
I went to the Dallas Permits building today and found out who the builder was and whom the plans were drawn up by.
Builder was TEMPO CONSTRUCTION CO. INC Earnest E. RANDALL
PLANS BY JOHN PRESTON TRAVIS III.
I knew Mr. Travis lived on my street at sometime and built his house on this street. It is finally nice to know who did the plans and construction.
I will now began to research more on Mr. Travis and see if I can find other houses in the area.
Thank you again for all that helped.
Eric

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Mon May 14, 2007 6:12 pm

I'd love to see a close-up of that brick texture. There a so many ways of making unique geometries with standard masonry units. . .

SDR
"I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away." Bender

1963modern1
Modern Socialite

Postby 1963modern1 » Mon May 14, 2007 8:31 pm

Wow, once I got the architects name; the information has been pouring in. I now know that Mr. Travis built all of the MCM's on my street and some on surrounding streets within the Mediterranean area. All are very different in feel and range from flat roof pavilion's to homes with colorful mosaic tiled exteriors and decorative sun screens.
I have contacted relatives of Mr. Travis and am now waiting for him to give me a call. He is in his mid to late seventies and still designing and building. I have a million questions of course. I also found out some interesting things about my house by talking to his sister-in-law.
I have pulled up information that speaks to several large scale projects that he completed in and around Dallas. I'm surprised there is not as much interest and information about the architecture of Mr. Travis as there is concerning the JU-NEL homes.

drsiebling
Modern Master

Postby drsiebling » Mon May 14, 2007 8:42 pm

Congrats on the find! I know from personal experience just how rewarding it is to have some insight into the history of your own home. One of the great things about living in a real MCM is that it is the work of a real architect who had a vision - - not just some cookie-cutter box that was thrown up with little or no attention being paid to the artistic aspect of good architecture.

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Tue May 15, 2007 5:50 am

Congratulations on finding the designer of your home. An better yet he is still alive!
"Better Living Through Modernism"

1963modern1
Modern Socialite

Meeting

Postby 1963modern1 » Tue May 15, 2007 8:29 am

Dallasmodern
Modern Master

Postby Dallasmodern » Thu May 17, 2007 8:27 pm

1963modern1
Modern Socialite

found him

Postby 1963modern1 » Sun May 20, 2007 7:00 pm

mr. and mrs. meow
Modern Socialite

Postby mr. and mrs. meow » Sun May 20, 2007 10:41 pm

so glad to hear a happy ending(? beginning?) to your search for your home's architect. your house is beautiful and i, probably like many others here, would love to see more photos in the future. furnishings are lovely as well! question: is the wall hung credenza original to the house?
it's good. ...for now.

1963modern1
Modern Socialite

Postby 1963modern1 » Mon May 21, 2007 5:58 pm

mr. and mrs. meow
Modern Socialite

Postby mr. and mrs. meow » Mon May 21, 2007 6:26 pm

it's good. ...for now.

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Re: found him

Postby Futura Girl » Tue May 22, 2007 1:51 am

1963modern1
Modern Socialite

Re: found him

Postby 1963modern1 » Tue May 22, 2007 9:01 pm

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”