Newly painted house!

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

Miguel
Special Secret Modern Agent

Newly painted house!

Postby Miguel » Sun May 13, 2007 11:38 am

Before:

After replacing breezeway divider with a mistlite divider and fully painting the house (take a look at the Flickr set linked below):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/31559369@N ... 1576/show/

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Sun May 13, 2007 4:22 pm

:Bow:
wait a minute...a kitchen reno...an new fence!! and you painted your house? looks great! you are on a roll. won't you be my husband!?...
oh, to bad, i have one...

rockabilly
Modern Socialite

Postby rockabilly » Sun May 13, 2007 7:12 pm

very nice. I like the contrasting colors you chose and the trans material for the entry.
Geek with Style

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Sun May 13, 2007 8:06 pm

Well, that's smashing !

SDR
"I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away." Bender

Miguel

Postby Miguel » Mon May 14, 2007 8:16 am

Thanks, everyone.... it's finally looking like a house. RocknLounge, I'd marry you, but have to get my partner's approval :wink:
Currently working on the yard, as you can see. and now, for the bedrooms!

Some night shots of the new kitchen:

tampaChrissie
Modern Socialite

Postby tampaChrissie » Mon May 14, 2007 8:32 am

Thank you for the pictures, you gave me some good ideas for when we get around to painting. Currently the under part of our roof and the eaves are the same color, I love the way you defined them.

Is that a new coil cooktop? Did you decide on that over a flat surface for the look? I'm debating this decision right now.

Miguel

Postby Miguel » Mon May 14, 2007 8:41 am

No problem, Tampa.

Me and my partner decided to go with the color scheme in a way similar to a Bob Stevens house our friend Sally restored (shown below). She made a great choice of colors and placed them in a way to emphasize the structure of the beams, posts and ceilings. We used different colors, but the overarching principle was the same.

As far as the oven goes, it is a new cooktop, a GE with coils. Since we had only electrical (no gas) to the island, we decided to go with a cooktop more in line with what would be suitable to this type of home.
Last edited by Miguel on Wed May 23, 2007 11:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

Josquin
Most Illustrious Grand Member

Fresno House

Postby Josquin » Mon May 14, 2007 10:26 am

Excellent! Really thoughtful. I'm really looking forward to your landscaping. Miguel, are you going to keep your jalousie windows?

Miguel

Postby Miguel » Mon May 14, 2007 11:12 am

Thanks, Josquin.

It's been a long year (living in the place while remodeling), but it's finally paying off... just got an offer on the house yesterday! Not that we're planning to sell, or anything, but it's always a n indicator of good work.

No way I'm gonna remove the jalousies. I like them too much, even knowing that they're not completely efficient. Love the way they allow home ventilation in conjunction with the whole house fan).

As a way to minimize drafts, I've been using jal-o-seal (a transparent vynil strip specially made to seal the gaps between the glass slats) all around the year, and I mount plexiglass panels inside the window during the winter months as a winterizing method.

I'll just take them apart during the summer to bring the shine back to the aluminum framing.

Miguel

Postby Miguel » Wed May 16, 2007 1:23 pm

The before and after of the breezeway:

Before:
ImageImage

After:
ImageImage

synthetic space
Modern Master

Postby synthetic space » Wed May 16, 2007 1:35 pm

You even replaced the car! :wink:

Miguel

Postby Miguel » Wed May 16, 2007 2:03 pm

Nope... it looks like it, but the PT cruiser is my partner's... although, now it looks more in tune with the house (color, style) than mine :?

srk1941
Modern Master

Postby srk1941 » Thu May 17, 2007 10:04 am

Steven Keylon
Village Green - National Historic Landmark

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Thu May 17, 2007 5:43 pm

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Thu May 17, 2007 6:12 pm

Miguel

Postby Miguel » Fri May 18, 2007 10:02 am

Thanks, guys!

Rock: When I bought the house 3 of the globe lights were missing (replaced with some ugly-*ss fans). So, it was difficult to find matching lights to the remaining 4; the original fixtures are really good quality and have a brass tilt mechanism made of two half spheres. After scouring antique stores and Ebay for ages, I was able to find 3 very similar pendant fixtures that are close enough to the original and not noticeable from the ground level. While the house was being painted, I pulled all of them out, took'em apart completely and painted them in a satin-black (I know I should have powder-coated them, but oh well...) with the tilt mechanisms in brass. Now they look great, as you can see from the pictures. Those tilting metal pendant fixtures are hard to find, but they occasionally are available on Ebay... just need a lot of persistence.

Joe: Thanks for the compliments!
The horizontal siding seems to be original to the house, so I don't think I will be changing it. I kinda like it... breaks the flow of vertical siding in the front and gives it a bit of interest. The combination of stucco and T111 siding is very typical to these Fresno modernist homes (my friend's Bob Steven's has the same combination of materials). Usually the private parts of the home (bedrooms, etc) are faced in stucco with a wood trim.

Miguel

Weekend war!

Postby Miguel » Sat May 19, 2007 5:58 pm

Substituted the ugly plastic home number box with brushed-nickel floating house numbers. Much cheaper than Neutraface, they look great and are of good quality.
Make is Hillman Distinctions bought at the local OSH (~$7/number). They have them in brushed-nickel and black.
ImageImage

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Sat May 19, 2007 6:12 pm

sorry, what is OSH? (new yorker here)
i bought my '2', two of them, front and back door. good price like yours. but they are small. and don't hide the mexican tile '2' we took off. (shadow on the wood). i need to off-set a backing plate of probably cedar or mahogany, easy for me. but wondering what is the size of your numbers?
ours seem a bit small. i would like something larger before i go to the trouble of adding a stainless or wood backing plate.
my last address was 42-22 22nd. now i am just '2'.

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Sat May 19, 2007 6:21 pm

Orchard Supply Hardware -- A Western chain ?

Those numerals look great and are beautifully placed -- though an asymmetrical location might have worked too ? The whole house is just sweet. I like your blue door.

SDR

Miguel

Postby Miguel » Sat May 19, 2007 6:27 pm

OSH - Orchard Supply Hardware

The height is ~5in. They look a lot like Neutraface, except some differences in the vertical part of the 5 (in NF is completely vertical) , the size of the triangle of the 4 (falls lower on NF) and the oval shape of the 0 (completely round in NF).

Thanks for the props, SDR! My partner picked the color scheme, and did a great job at that. The door color is "anthracite", a dark-grey with hints of blue. The old numbers were placed on the left side over the sculpture (asymmetrically placed). But, with the light, and sculpture the new numbers would look too busy; Thanks to a great suggestion from our friend Sally (Sally is awesome! :Bow: She restored the Bob Stevens home above ) we placed them to the right of the door:

Izzy
Modern Master

Postby Izzy » Wed May 23, 2007 2:33 pm

wow, your kitchen looks awesome. It makes me think I could get by with the old school coil cooktop and not feel like I need to get something "fancier". Love all the globe lights. Nice job, inside and out.

Josquin

OSH

Postby Josquin » Thu May 24, 2007 11:07 am

Dan O.
Modern Master

Postby Dan O. » Thu May 24, 2007 2:38 pm

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Thu May 24, 2007 3:51 pm

Miguel

Shade-cloth

Postby Miguel » Sun May 27, 2007 7:52 am

Thanks, Izzy and Dan O. It's slowly coming together... It's nice to see these Fresno homes in the way they're supposed to look. We've been getting plenty of compliments from neighbors and had 3(!) offers on the place since we painted it.

On a different subject, the front of our home has Western exposure so the living room/kitchen gets a lot of light at the end of the day... unfortunately, it also brings in a lot of heat especially now that we're getting into Summer. So, as a solution, we decided to make and place removable shade-cloth in the shape of the front windows.

To ensure that a lot of light still makes it through, we placed the hooks behind the outside beam so the shade-cloth hangs away from the windows; we love how it moves with the breeze and gives the place a nice "Summery" feeling.

agent lemonade
Modern Fan

Postby agent lemonade » Fri Jun 01, 2007 1:39 pm

Your house is really beautiful. I like your house numbers as well. I'm kicking myself for not checking OSH first for our house numbers.

STLModern
Modern Master

Postby STLModern » Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:48 pm

Miguel,

Do those house numbers come in larger sizes other than 5"?

Miguel

Postby Miguel » Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:21 am

Thanks, Agent!

STLmodern: I believe this size is all they make. OSH has them in brushed nickel and black and both look great; I picked the brushed nickel to kinda match the other door detais (orbit handle and threshold).

PacificaModern
Modern Master

Postby PacificaModern » Sat Jun 02, 2007 6:03 pm

Miguel

Postby Miguel » Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:24 pm

Thanks, Marty!

The compliments mean a lot to me, especially coming from the "old school" folks in the board (no offense, just a lot of respect)... make me feel we're doing a good job with the house.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”