Flooring options

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
afigure
Modern Socialite
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Flooring options

Postby afigure » Thu May 17, 2007 12:34 pm

jesgord
Modern Master

Postby jesgord » Thu May 17, 2007 2:20 pm

Its hard to argue with nice hardwood floors. They are durable can be in the color/finish of your choice and are usually not prohibatively expensive. Ii think wood floors look great in MCM homes.

googieagog
Modern Master

Postby googieagog » Thu May 17, 2007 2:31 pm

They're commonplace, but we put oak floors throughout our house and love them. Like yours, our house originally had carpet over plywood -- many folks in the '50s thought hardwood floors were too old fashioned. We liked the lower grade oak, I think it's called #1 common, because it has more color variation & knots. Here's a photo:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/googieagog ... 586303362/

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Thu May 17, 2007 4:49 pm

i agree with the guys above. a good ol classic hardwood floor. very mcm as in my classic. ours are dark oak 1 1/2 inch wide. skinny is classic for the period. dark ceiling. dark cedar walls. i don't think it is really a problem. with so much glass. very cozy. beware of the fake cheapy stuff.
get the best you can for your budget. do your research. bamboo is beautiful. but, following the recent fashions, much of it is of poor quality.very thin veneer. so many look for a good price and you get what you pay for. good quality floors are a great investment. fuss around and play with wall color and tile and change it easily, but flooring is the foundation of it all. i'm amazed every day at how lucky we are to have great flooring, and 40yrs old. cork entry, terrazo tile kitchen and oak everywhere else. i've seen home depot pergo style flooring look shitty after 3 or 4 years.

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Thu May 17, 2007 5:29 pm

dilettante
Most Illustrious Grand Member
Most Illustrious Grand Member

Re: Flooring options

Postby dilettante » Thu May 17, 2007 5:55 pm

Dallasmodern
Modern Master

Postby Dallasmodern » Thu May 17, 2007 8:48 pm

Stephen
Modern Guru

Postby Stephen » Fri May 18, 2007 7:08 am

Stephen Meade
SoCal Realtor - DRE 01378749
Pacific West Assoc. of Realtors President-Elect
http://www.OCModHomes.com
http://www.CliffMaySocal.com
and
Cliff May Homeowner

Luka
Modern Master

Postby Luka » Fri May 18, 2007 7:29 am

teej
Modern Fan

Postby teej » Fri May 18, 2007 9:00 am

we have the original parquet through most of our home - where it wasn't - we installed cork tile. love it

wbaker911
Modern Fan

Post subject: Flooring options

Postby wbaker911 » Fri May 18, 2007 12:43 pm

I just had cork installed this week and am very happy with it. I bought it at Lumber Liquidators and had it glued down. I was able to do it for less than $4.00 sf installed. It is very quiet and comfortable underfoot as well.

jazz-n-cocktails
Modern Socialite

Re: Flooring options

Postby jazz-n-cocktails » Fri May 18, 2007 12:47 pm

synthetic space
Modern Master

Postby synthetic space » Fri May 18, 2007 12:59 pm

BOXOUTBM
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby BOXOUTBM » Fri May 18, 2007 1:06 pm

afigure
Modern Socialite

Postby afigure » Fri May 18, 2007 2:44 pm

I'm leaning towards a wood floor of some sort, as it's a pretty large open area to other parts of the house. We have original cork in one bedroom but it's finish is pretty worn off and it's currently covered with some Flor carpet.

Cork looks nice but not sure about a large area. I am looking for a light golden tone wood with not much variation. Also, looking forward to posting some more pictures of my home for some feedback as well. I lived here now almost 2 years and still haven't done much yet, dont' want to screw it up I am still struggling with it's very dark ceilings, it makes my home feel like a cave! :roll: I hope to post some interior shots soon.

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Fri May 18, 2007 3:50 pm

congrats on just enjoying your home and making slow smart choices.
and researching the best options for keeping your home in it's design history and how it needs to be updated for your needs.
i get 'are you going to remodel?' all the time. and i think the entry cork, 40yrs old is lovely, almost vintage. we do what we can and fix as needed.
two years just settling in is not unusual. take yor time.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”