Neutra Kitchen Redo Pics&?s

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

BlueAgave
Modern Fan
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Neutra Kitchen Redo Pics&?s

Postby BlueAgave » Sat May 26, 2007 9:41 am

I'm going to Remodel my Neutra kitchen, don't try to to talk me out of it. It is not big enough for 4 bedrooms. In years gone by cabinets have been basterdized (trim), and counters replaced.
If I can get some help on the style of cabinets and knobs/handles and the wood to use please chime in.
Basterdized Neutra

The next shot is cabinets my cabinet maker has made. The wood seems like it would be in keeping with the style. Not sure of the type just that its plywood and I would like to keep the edges exposed. Please look past the granite I think I'll be doing a light colored Corian thin edge or possibly a stainless edge on Corian if thats doable?
Cabinets new

grh122
Modern Master
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby grh122 » Sat May 26, 2007 10:25 am

Great! I am Neutra obsessed so this is right up my alley. You are quite lucky!

I would use some type of bleached or blonde wood if you want to be true to the Neutra style. Though, the Brown house in Bel Air had light cabinets and had them replaced (exactingly) with dark Walnut and it looks really great too. In my opinion the way to go with Neutra cabinets are those that have no metal hardware exposed, but have handles carved in the wood. Most of his homes from the mid 40's on have them.

I guess an obvious but great example would be the Kauffman house:

http://www.arcaid.captureweb.co.uk/zoom ... 9896-460-1

http://www.arcaid.captureweb.co.uk/zoom ... 9896-480-1

Mies
Modern Socialite

Postby Mies » Sat May 26, 2007 10:33 am

Blue Agave:

We had a similiar issue with our Neutra. When we bought it 8 years ago, the kitchen had been enlarged and remodeled (a bad Home Depot remodel with redish cabinets and horrible pinkish/salmon speckled granite counters and beige tile backsplash). We chose to take some inspiration from the Kaufman House kitchen - light birch wood cabinets, minimal metal pulls for hardware. But we chose a white terrazzo looking casear stone for our counter tops. We are mostly pleased with the look.

BlueAgave
Modern Fan

Thanks! More Neutra pics around?

Postby BlueAgave » Sat May 26, 2007 12:04 pm

Hadn't seen the inside of the Kaufman House. Thanks for the link. Anyone have the builtin handle/no handle, seems like they would be harder to grasp and open. Especially with 2 people working in the kitchen. This is going to be our home and be well used. Entertaining!:cheers:
Is the terrazo countertop the one with all the multicolored chips? I like that look, but the wifes a little cold on it. I barely got her away from granite.
Lots of questions I know, but keep firing away with the ideas.

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Sat May 26, 2007 1:29 pm

just for consideration - schindler used plain plywood for his cabinets for quite a nice effect!

i am a big proponent of good old fashioned white formica. clean, authentic to the era, modern looking, relatively inexpensive and super easy upkeep.

BlueAgave
Modern Fan

Postby BlueAgave » Sat May 26, 2007 3:10 pm

The 2nd picture has plywood. I'm leaning toward that color(is it birch?) and leaving the edges exposed. The edges of the plywood in the picture have been covered with a veneer strip.

grh122
Modern Master

Postby grh122 » Sat May 26, 2007 3:46 pm

scowsa
Modern Guru

Postby scowsa » Sat May 26, 2007 4:24 pm

vlopez
Modern Socialite

Remodel

Postby vlopez » Sat May 26, 2007 4:25 pm

I love the exposed plywood edge look, the Kerf stuff is wonderful. but I'm not sure about how the cabinets open.

Also, I put a combination of Lagos Blue (actually a brownish gray look to it) on some counters and a custom glass/concrete island in my kitchen. Love them both! I was looking for the terrazo look and found but couldn't find a supplier in the southern part of California. I desperation I began to talk to concrete guys and found in Lomita who made my island. He was great! My counter came out wonderful!Image

BlueAgave
Modern Fan

Cool

Postby BlueAgave » Sat May 26, 2007 9:09 pm

Great island countertop! Did he make it with white concrete and where did the glass come from? Can you make your own custom mix of glass colors? If so I'm going to start drinking SKYY Vodka, love the bottle :cheers: The terrazo at counterproduction.com are awesome, there must be someone in So Cal that has a product like this?

robbhouston
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby robbhouston » Sun May 27, 2007 5:22 am

grh122: Awesome pictures of the Kaufmann House! Thanks for that link. Will be exploring that site all morning.

Regarding handle-less cabinets...I had a cabinet guy make new doors and draw fronts with integrated handles for all the cabinetry throughout our house. He based the grip on a real simple drawing I did, and a photo...

They're maple, finished in Bullseye Amber Shellac. We love the look and there's no problem grabbing the handles.

There's a pretty good thread on cabinetry here...

http://www.lottaliving.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=6757

Hope that's helpful. Good luck with your project!

--Robb
http://www.nashvillemodern.com
A little website I created to showcase my home and other MCMs in and around the Nashville TN area.

Tony
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Tony » Sun May 27, 2007 6:49 am

Yes, thanks for posting that link to Alan Weintraub's photographs of the Kaufman house! He's a great shooter.

There is not enough detail to notice, but the counter tops in the Kaufman kitchen are cork,as is the floor. Same as Fallingwater.

Tony
Tony Merchell

Architectural Photographer
www.glassandsteel.com

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Re: Neutra Kitchen Redo Pics&?s

Postby Joe » Mon May 28, 2007 2:42 pm

[quote="BlueAgave"]I'm going to Remodel my Neutra kitchen, don't try to to talk me out of it. It is not big enough for 4 bedrooms. In years gone by cabinets have been basterdized (trim), and counters replaced.
If I can get some help on the style of cabinets and knobs/handles and the wood to use please chime in.
Basterdized Neutra

I would not be too concerned about remodeling this kitchen, considering someone else screwed it up pretty bad before you. unfortunate, though. Neutra's original kitchen designs were/are quite timeless. More timeless than your remodel.

Neutra showed us how great formica can look in a kitchen.

Stephen
Modern Guru

Example

Postby Stephen » Mon May 28, 2007 6:13 pm

Since there's been some talk of birch plywood with the edge exposed I thought I would share a great example. Just go into any Chipotle restaurant. They use polyurethaned birch plywood for just about everything. The best examples are the locations with the birch booth seating.
Stephen Meade
SoCal Realtor - DRE 01378749
Pacific West Assoc. of Realtors President-Elect
http://www.OCModHomes.com
http://www.CliffMaySocal.com
and
Cliff May Homeowner

BlueAgave
Modern Fan

Food mmmmm

Postby BlueAgave » Mon May 28, 2007 8:51 pm

Thanks for the Chipotle tip. I'll be going this week to check it out. There are 2 nearby (Hawthorne&Torrance), hopefully they have the birch seating. :cheers:

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Mon May 28, 2007 9:17 pm

The kind of plywood with exposed edge is the Eurpean kind; just say "Finn-ply" to a carpenter or lumber yard and they'll know what you mean. This is slowly becoming easier to find in various thicknesses and species.

A "finger grip" routed into the edge of this plywood works and looks fine. This is typically a quarter-round cove, either four to six inches long or full-length, on the back of the door in a place where it can be easily grabbed.

SDR
"I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away." Bender

grh122
Modern Master

Re: Example

Postby grh122 » Tue May 29, 2007 5:53 am

BlueAgave
Modern Fan

Finn-Ply?

Postby BlueAgave » Tue May 29, 2007 9:56 am

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Tue May 29, 2007 12:25 pm

Probably not that much. Finn-ply has no voids and many layers but may not have as nice of a "face" as furniture grade. True Finn-ply comes in 5'x5' sheets and is usually used for drawer sides.

A Neutra kitchen would probably not have had the edges showing, at least not on purpose or as a design feature. Those kitchens had cut outs for handles. Just a slash, not rounded. Look through your Hines book. Not many kitchens are shown, but the details on the built-in dressers and such are the same in the kitchens. Unless you were doing a meticulous restoration, (and you already said you're not) any plain modern cabinet design would do. The style you are after is called "flush overlay". This was the real name before the lemmings started calling it "Euro" The look, when properly done shows only faces with tight reveals. No face frame. Most new "modern" kitchens are overdone. There's too much stainless and the handles are doing most of the design talking. Neutra was sort of a shaker modern kind of guy. The idea is that if it is simply functional, the logic of the design will have beauty. If you were rich, you just got better veneer. Also the face would be book matched. The same sheet of ply is used for the uppers and the lower faces so they all match.

I like the simple wire pull for function. Just the normal 3.5" or 4" one. The long ones the width of the drawer all over the place is just too much. (but on couple of drawers to double as towel holders is ok, remember function first) I also like the plain L of stainless mounted on top of the drawers or at the bottom of the upper doors. Less functional, but more pure and unobtrusive.

And my main kitchen advise. Drawers not cabinet doors and pull outs. If you need a pot or pan, does it make sense to open a pair of cabinet doors and then pull out a tray? Just get deep drawers. Function......

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Tue May 29, 2007 12:33 pm

Oh, a couple more things. Do try and use a refrigerator and dishwasher that have panels the same as the cabinetry. This is especially true for you as the space is small and you don't want to break it up. And the 18" Miele dishwasher holds as much as a regular cheap one. I have a friend with one and I'm amazed. Having that flexibility in your tight little space may be helpful.

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Tue May 29, 2007 12:54 pm

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/219/4768 ... 088860.jpg
my kitchen.
we tend to get a bit messy, so the clean flat fronts, no hardware, and
simple design is perfect for us.
original and 40yrs old as is the formica counters. very durable.
the cabinets have a gentle round-over edge routing all the way around and easy to open. especially the drawers. can grab the top, bottom, left
or right with one finger.
a good lumberyard will let you go through their stock and pick out what
you want so you don't end up with a crazy grain. lots of choices out there. if i was faced with your kitchen and the cabinet boxes are in good
shape, i would just change out the doors. and counters. could save money and would be less disruptive than a total gut reno. update an appliance with the savings. though nothing
like a nice new kitchen all around. my budget would never allow that.
ikea had really cheap counters in their discount area. i picked up a stainless counter for 10 dollars! don't really need it so that was stupid.
maybe the garage...

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Tue May 29, 2007 1:11 pm

on second thought,( just looked at your pic again), the oven built-in is a
disaster. i see what you mean. and the other cabinets you are considering are nice and simple, but looks like a mix of oak above, and
birch ply below. birch ply is usually used for cabinets to be painted. nice,
clean and stable. but now i often see them just sealed. nice light color.
and you mentioned enlarging, so you kinda have to gut it. he does nice
work. just pick out the wood yourself. he most likely has tons of scraps around his shop you could sample light stains and sealers.

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Re: Neutra Kitchen Redo Pics&?s

Postby moderns-r-us » Tue May 29, 2007 1:43 pm

"Better Living Through Modernism"

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Tue May 29, 2007 1:49 pm

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Tue May 29, 2007 2:17 pm

Stephen
Modern Guru

Postby Stephen » Tue May 29, 2007 4:36 pm

Stephen Meade

SoCal Realtor - DRE 01378749

Pacific West Assoc. of Realtors President-Elect

http://www.OCModHomes.com

http://www.CliffMaySocal.com

and

Cliff May Homeowner

grh122
Modern Master

Postby grh122 » Tue May 29, 2007 6:13 pm

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Tue May 29, 2007 6:34 pm

Last edited by SDR on Tue May 29, 2007 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Tue May 29, 2007 6:44 pm

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Tue May 29, 2007 7:16 pm

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”