Update on CT ranch

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
jkc
Modern Fan
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Update on CT ranch

Postby jkc » Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:18 am

Well we’ve owned our house about 3.5 months and have been living here full time 1.5 months so I thought it was time for an update!

Our roof saga () resulted in us having two choices – a new tar & gravel roof or a EPDM membrane layer. We opted for the tar and gravel as we were concerned with the seams of the membrane stuff showing on our slightly pitched roof. We found a great roofer who also replaced some of the most damaged tectum roofing panels & we’re really happy with the results (see the June set at )

The new roof didn’t solve all of the leaks though & we got a mason in to rebuild one chimney and do significant repairs on the other – no leaks anymore!

We also had asbestos tile taken out of the kitchen/library/office area – really expensive but well worth it as it was starting to crack & we wanted to get as close to the radiant heat as possible.

We’re painted the living room & laid Flor tiles which we love – still need to update the furniture but that will have to wait until the bank balance recovers…

We replace all 6 outside doors which turned into it’s own saga – we needed custom cut doors & opted for luan/fiberboard doors which kept arriving damaged. Since we wanted to stain the inside our contractor kept sending them back.. we now have all 6 doors in, they are primed but not yet painted.

We like the neighborhood – we’re the only modern house on a street full of typical New England colonials/cottages & I don’t think anyone else understands our house choice! But it’s quiet & friendly.

The lot is growing on me (my husband loves it ) I was looking for less grass & more trees/privacy but we have a lot of old growth trees including the biggest white mulberry in CT (we have a certificate to prove it)

It’s also a wildlife haven – we have a colony of garter snakes, tons of birds, a fetid pond on top of the pool cover that is harboring toads (v. loud at night) and turtles. If it wasn’t for the vampire like mosquitoes (the pool can’t help with that but we’re also close to the river) & the v. active carpenter bees (they managed to find the few bits of wood trim on our brick house) it’d be fantastic! Over time we’ll work on the landscaping & put in some privacy shrubs on the property line….Hopefully we’ll also get the pool open – although I think that’ll be another year.

Overall we love the house, but there have definitely been times when we asked ourselves what we had done! Having worked on it pretty solidly for a few months I think we’re getting to a point where we can relax & live in it for a while before doing anything else significant – although there’s bound to be something that comes up!

Enjoy the photos

rockabilly
Modern Socialite

Postby rockabilly » Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:43 pm

awesome house and nice photos. well done! I'm going thru the same things here. just moved in last weekend to my 1st MCM. I'll be posting some photos here shortly as soon as Im not burried in boxes searching for pots and pans! LOL
ps. I am doing the same roof repair as you. thank goodness the sellers put money in escrow for it. now I just have to get the roofing company over here to do it. fun fun!
Geek with Style

vlopez
Modern Socialite

What progress!

Postby vlopez » Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:48 pm

Your house is looking good! I've been considering the FLOR tiles in one of the bedrooms, but have concerns about how well they stay affixed when vacuuming, etc. Any problems in that area? Are they all laid on the concrete slab or on top of something else?

Thanks!

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:35 pm

flor tiles don't budge. hard to believe, but they stay put.
hey great house, and welcome to all the first year troubles.
it is good to get as much done to make it yours. after a year,
i'm exausted. but still love it and you guys are taking it by storm.
we have carb bees, giant tree fell, too much moisture in '1/2 in the
hill' lower level. but we made the kitchen, living and bedroom priority.
in the first month. the rest just gets in line. we are packing for a month
to a distant island. need a break.
we also have neighbors that wonder what we are doing here. the day
we moved in they thought we were the movers. (immediate neighbors
know us now). but surrounding neighbors think we are the gardener and
hired handyman. we are always out fussing. we just like getting to know
our home and hire only when necessary. i have to confess, i just called
'merry maids' for a spring cleaning. pretty spooky experience. just need
the living part spiffy for when we return...

ch
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby ch » Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:18 am

Your house is looking good! I like this thread as it reveals the hard work and love that goes into making a house one's home. All houses will have problems over time but obviously the midcentury ones have their own special variety. Just yesterday as I was sweeping leaf debris off my flat roof my neighbor drove by and felt the need to comment. (Now do I make fun of all the rediculous number of gables on his house...?)

I can also relate to the part about mystifying the neighbors. We had some who were shocked to find out that we were the new homeowners and not the painters. They were truly bewildered to learn that someone would actually do their own home painting! Kind of avoided us after that.

jkc
Modern Fan

Postby jkc » Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:44 am

Thanks for all your kind words. It's great to find a community of folks who understand where we're coming from. My parents just visited (from the UK) & think overall they quite liked it - they were v. taken with the atomic ranch magazines...but I think there's also a little bemused as to why we didn't buy something newer & in better shape...this wasn't helped by the sparking light fixture in their bedroom - mental note, must replace that asap....

At one point one of our neighbors (the realtor who listed the house as a raised ranch in a great place to raise dogs, but no mention of the architectural plans that came with the house...), asked if we were raising the roof line since the roofers had propped up a pallet on the roof to run the hose from the tar cooker thingy....

Overall though the neighbors have been really nice - I think they think we're mad but are glad to have someone (however gradually) working on the house - it'd been unlived in for a year & before that an elderly gentleman had lived there & I don't think he'd done much for the last few years - except smoke - still need to get the smoke smell out of the wood, it only comes after it rains but it's rather annoying!

The Flor tiles are working really well, we put them straight on the concrete slab (some of this is where the asbestos containing tile/mastic had been removed so it was v. clean - the rest had been carpeted & was clean). They attach to each other using adhesive dots but don't move at all. The only thing to think about is the edges - you may need some sort of trim to cover over the edges (similar to what you'd need with a floating floor) - we're OK with the edges in general - you only notice that they're cut when looking at it closely & we have lots of other stuff to worry about before we get things 'perfect'. But if you're more of a perfectionist then you'd want to think about that...

J

mutcth
Modern Fan

Postby mutcth » Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:26 am

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”