Outdoor Wall Art

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

tampaChrissie
Modern Socialite
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Outdoor Wall Art

Postby tampaChrissie » Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:41 am

I'm not having any luck finding outdoor wall art. I want something for the side of our carport or our front brick wall. I'm thinking a metal sculpture pattern piece or a peacock. Many of the homes in my neighborhood have them, but I think they're all original. I keep checking Ebay, but no luck. Any ideas?

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby SDR » Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:03 pm

I would think that a picture of what you like, or just a photo of your favorite neighborhood piece, taken to a metalsmith (after some research) would result in a brand new wall sculpture of your own.

Of course, you might find that one of your neighbors is tired of his or her metalwork and would be willing to part with it ? Some discreet asking around may result in just what you want.

SDR
"I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away." Bender

robbhouston
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby robbhouston » Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:23 am

I always liked this piece of exterior wall art found on CSH#16 (Craig Ellwood 1952-53)....

This image is from Esther McCoy's "Case Study Houses" 2nd edition (sorry for the moire pattern on the photo). The caption reads...

"Jungle gym on the hollow block wall was designed by landscape architect Eric Armstrong. Five sets of intersecting pipes are welded at points of intersection, the units prefabricated and placed in the wall during construction. Each set is attached at four points to insure strength."

You might be able to have something like this made, or perhaps use it as inspiration for something you could make yourself. Maybe a series of intersecting wooden pieces?

Hope that's helpful. Good luck with your project.

--Robb
http://www.nashvillemodern.com
A little website I created to showcase my home and other MCMs in and around the Nashville TN area.

Luka
Modern Master

Postby Luka » Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:53 am

Here are a couple of ideas for you:

On this one, keep scrolling down and you'll find some that are more appropriate:

Miguel

Postby Miguel » Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:28 pm

Always loveed that jungle gym in the C. Ellwood home shown above; it's such a great, simple, and functional idea...

Anyway, I think that another option is to come up with a ceramic/clay mural like the one in my home.
I know that'd be difficult and expensive to find one of these, but I'm sure that with some creativity and ingenuity, a similar effect can be achieved:

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:25 pm

Slim and Gabby

Postby Slim and Gabby » Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:51 pm

Yup, the jungle gym is extra swell. And the idea to have something fabricated is good.
I wanted to weigh in on the ceramic wall tiles. I have seen some great ones of those.
You should also give thought to either plants or hollow cinder blocks placed appropriately for dramatic uplighting. There is an EXCELLENT Sunset Mag book on dramatic lighting from 1965. Check that out for wall drama.
Pen-gu-ins is pracatically chickinz, and I hates to see chickinz cry so much, I has to put’em outta ther mizzery!

tampaChrissie
Modern Socialite

Postby tampaChrissie » Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:36 am

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:15 pm

the choices are design-blockers. way to many out there. easy if a
great old one popped up at a yard sale.
but... having worked all over the country and canada, alberta to
the east coast maritimes, and worked with metalsmiths, 95% would
welcome an off the street person interested in something more
sculptural. they have their bread and butter staircase, etc. but love
the ocasional art piece. really fun for them and will always cut a deal
for a colaboration. don't be shy. many of my art school friends in
metal work, love the art pieces. made from scraps around the shop.
go for one of a kind. even pick something from one of the sites that
still fabricate the (awful) scrolling show tune thing. and at 300 bucks!.
but you'll get some ideas.
i find all the mid-century wall stuff pretty great , but if it
is out of reach, (e-bay things are a bit over priced right now)
be creative and find someone to make it. so much more interesting
down the line.

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:52 pm

Great input ! That accords perfectly with my own experience; working as a trade craftsman, it is definitely true that the one-of-a-kind project is a desirable "break form routine" - both for the crew and for the open-minded proprietor. My reward for a difficult and tiring two-week installation will be a one-day install of another project that I re-drew and built: an odd little concoction to satisfy a client's whim.

Go for it ! Many a handsome post-war steel sculpture looks a lot like an assemblage of metal-shop scrap. See Harry Bertoia and Tony Smith, for starters. . .

SDR

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:54 pm

Last edited by SDR on Sat Jun 30, 2007 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Sat Jun 30, 2007 12:39 pm

look on ebay or elsewhere for the 1960s book by sunset books on outdoor art and decoration

momp57
Modern Socialite

Postby momp57 » Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:23 am

I just saw some interesting pieces at Pier One Imports. They have a big sale going on.

bamalama
Modern Socialite

Postby bamalama » Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:27 am

Miguel, I think your mural is great! I've always wanted to do something with tile on an exterior wall. There are some inspiring ads for Pomona Tile in vintage House Beautiful issues from the '50s:
(November, 1959. Sorry about the quality of the pic-- if I hadn't sold the issue already I'd scan it again for a more detailed image.) The tiles are George Nelson's Laurel Leaf design, the water feature is by Edward Fickert, with clothes by Jax... I don't know who did the mandolin. :wink:
CSH 20 (the Saul Bass house, AKA the one that got away) has the coolest tile mural... I don't have a picture handy, but you'll find it on the first page of this thread:

It's so simple, but it has such style-- could inspire something wonderful. The wall really reminds me of a Saul Bass title sequence. I see it and start humming the theme from "North by Northwest."

bamalama
Modern Socialite

Postby bamalama » Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:34 am

I adjusted the brightness/contrast here so you could see more detail:

scowsa
Modern Guru

Postby scowsa » Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:54 am

The suggestion to consider tile caused me to recall the products from Studio 4 in SoCal, who recently exhibited at CA Boom.

Here's a couple of samples

More and a downloadable catalog at

Josquin
Most Illustrious Grand Member

Pomona Tile

Postby Josquin » Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:08 am

Bamalama, What a terrific idea! The entry wall on the Saul Bass house is great. I look at those tiles everyday and I didn't recognize the possibilities. Of course, it's really difficult to find Nelson's Pamona tiles. I suppose you could make them yourself.

My house's tiling is completely done in Pomona tile. Here is a picture of my master bath with the Nelson laurel tile pattern. The bath wall extends out beyond a window with the same tile pattern repeated outside. Picture to follow.

vlopez
Modern Socialite

Postby vlopez » Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:46 am

It's amazing how great design is timeless! Your bathroom tile is beautiful!

bamalama
Modern Socialite

Postby bamalama » Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:16 pm

Josquin, I love your bath! Is the Pomona tile original to the house?

I remember reading somewhere that Saul Bass designed a line for Pomona tile. I wonder if the tile mural at tile at CSH 20 is from that line. The tiles themselves certainly aren't elaborate. I wonder if a reasonable match could be found in a current line?

It seems to me that some enterprising person could resurrect the distinguished designer series and make a mint.

Aha! This is the blog where I gleaned the Saul Bass/Pomona Tile factoid:

Cheers,
Jean

cathy of california
Modern Groupie

outdoor wall art

Postby cathy of california » Sat Jul 07, 2007 7:57 am

bamalama
Modern Socialite

Postby bamalama » Sat Jul 07, 2007 5:10 pm

Cathy, your blog is addictive! Do you have any images of the tile Saul Bass designed for Pomona?

Josquin

George Nelson Pomona Tile

Postby Josquin » Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:32 pm

bamalama,
Thank you. Yes, the Pomona tiles are original to the house. Only in the master bath are the Nelson Laurel tiles used. The same blue Pomona tile is used on the sink in the master bath and in the kitchen. An interesting detail is the tile continuing down the side of the cabinet. This detail is repeated in all the bathrooms. I'll try to get some better pictures.

Here is a Pomona Tile Ad from Arts and Architecture Magazine circa 1959

Here's another from 1961.

cathy of california
Modern Groupie

outdoor wall art

Postby cathy of california » Sun Jul 08, 2007 8:28 am

thanks bamalama!

i probably have stuff on saul bass.
will post when i run across it.

also for all of you looking for outdoor art, did you know that stan bitters is still working. he is doing private comissions. they have also recently reprinted his book from 1976. it's really worth a look.

for those not familar here's an example of his work from the 70s.
http://cathyofcalifornia.typepad.com/ca ... an_bi.html

Miguel

Postby Miguel » Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:13 am

MidCenTujunga
Modern Fan

Postby MidCenTujunga » Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:26 pm

Mid Century Rules

chubby1968
Modern Socialite

metal art work

Postby chubby1968 » Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:44 pm

Luka
Modern Master

Postby Luka » Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:17 am

chubby1968
Modern Socialite

Postby chubby1968 » Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:07 am

NoHoMod
Modern Fan

WOW

Postby NoHoMod » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:11 am

That bathroom tile is BEAUTIFUL! What an amazing place to start the day!

momp57
Modern Socialite

C. Jere reissued

Postby momp57 » Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:58 am

Johnathan Adler just reissued some C. Jere wall pieces.

http://www.jonathanadler.com/shop/home.php?cat=403

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”