Suggestions/help for our "new" 1958 Ranch?

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Shoe Girl
Modern Groupie
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Suggestions/help for our "new" 1958 Ranch?

Postby Shoe Girl » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:29 am

Hi! Newbie here! I've lurked a little, and love browsing! DH and I bought a 1958 ranch house in Wichita, Kansas last Fall. We are slowly doing the decor changes. We love modern as well as mcm. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a couple of problem areas in our house.

Here is our green tile main bathroom: ( I want to remove the wallpaper, but not sure what to do paint color-wise. Any thoughts?)

"Life is short...Buy the shoes."

Shoe Girl
Modern Groupie

Postby Shoe Girl » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:32 am

Another problem area is our pink half-bath off of our master bedroom. I initially painted the walls a brown-ish, but I'm not happy with it. I really hate the color pink, but having the original tile is so cool, that I hate to remove it. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Shoe Girl
Modern Groupie

Postby Shoe Girl » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:40 am

Our other big problem area is our kitchen. The countertop is a faux butcherblock laminate. Yuck. The backsplash is made up of ivory square tiles, and there is very little wall space. My husband wants to remove the hanging cabinets above the range. It would really open up the space, but I hate to see all of that storage space go. I'm looking forward to getting any and all help for our rooms! Thanks in advance. :)

View of kitchen from the family room:

jesgord
Modern Master

Postby jesgord » Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:22 pm

IMHO, I think the first thing you need to do in the kitchen is get rid of that hanging microwave. Looking at the back of a microwave from the living/ dining area is far from ideal and it might even open up the space a bit without the need to get rid of the upper cabinets.

VMacek
Modern Socialite

Postby VMacek » Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:55 pm

Maybe you can replace the cabinets and the microwave with some open shelves - you could put your cool stuff on display and be accessible from both sides.

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:17 pm

Just off the top of my head....
Pink bathroom, grey walls.
Green bathroom, maybe matching the lighter lime green. Then it would be nice to get some tiles to bring the countertop back closer to original.
In the kitchen, try replacing the double oven with a single and mounting a microwave above it. Instead of a built in microwave, you can use a regular one with a "microwave build in kit" That is a louver kit that mounts around
the wave. This way you aren't stuck with just one kind of microwave if it breaks. Above the range, you need ventilation. So something has to be there.

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:02 pm

I think that you should come to these events to get ideas!

"Better Living Through Modernism"

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

my 2 cents

Postby modfan » Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:31 pm

In agreement with some of the previous comments-
Change the dbl oven to an oven micro combo (depending on how it's fueled tho will determine what goes above and below) and put some kind of modern hood over the cooktop. If you're reluctant to put open shelves put cabinet doors with glass (clear or frosted) on the over the cooktop cabinets-you get some openess but don't lose the storage space. In the green bath I'd lose the flowered wallpaper and put plain painted walls or a more modern pattern wallcovering. And go to those KC modern events they're fun and you'll get some ideas and meet some enthused folk. And go with some matching tile to the backsplash or something that goes with it. That faux butcher block is just too much wood pattern for that kitchen.

Keke
Modern Socialite

Postby Keke » Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:15 am

Welcome, Shoe Girl!

Well, I don't know if your computer is set up for Adobe or Javascript, but if so, this color theory program might be useful for painting your bathrooms...

http://kuler.adobe.com/

It's great fun for creating color schemes. :D

Keke

rockabilly
Modern Socialite

Postby rockabilly » Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:20 am

Geek with Style

Shoe Girl
Modern Groupie

Postby Shoe Girl » Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:15 am

Thank you for all of the helpful suggestions! It is great to get other opinions. It really opens up the mind for all sorts of possibilities!

Unfortunately I don't think that we can make it up to the KC Modern weekend, but it sounds fantastic! I'll have to remember it for next year.

Keke, What a great website! I'm going to have so much fun playing around with color schemes! :)

Thanks again for all of the help!

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”