I just wanted to introduce my little project

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

NoHoMod
Modern Fan
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

I just wanted to introduce my little project

Postby NoHoMod » Sat Jun 23, 2007 8:52 am

Hi, I'm about 5 months into seriously working to clean up / bring closer to original the little house I have near the Burbank Airport. It's the street of little Neutra tract homes, and I'm taking one that was in decent shape and just trying my hardest to strip away additions and other elements that were detracting from the house.

The kitchen had been remodeled in the 60's, and wasn't really serviceable at all, and I couldn't resist making the front of the house a more open space as a result. I know there are purists out there who will be upset with my removing a wall, but actually the kitchen space was previously three little rooms, a hall, a laundry area, and a tiny kitchen, and all that had been opened up (and the pass through added) in the first remodel, so I just carried it out to an extreme. Don't be too harsh on me :-)

Well, here's the link to my pictures on Flickr. You won't need a Flickr account if you follow this link:

Let me know what you think! The project has included working on the exterior, stripping the redwood siding and painting - and will include demolishing the closed in exterior porch on the side. I started by just experimenting on the back patio until I decided to go with the original color scheme of white paint and brown trim.

Obviously I have a lot more to do!

rockabilly
Modern Socialite
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby rockabilly » Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:04 am

wow. an impressive amount of work there. I like the digital exterior simulations and your foam model. it gives me some ideas for my own place. I also really liked your patio deck and the orange door is a nice touch. that said, I should mention I'm a newbie here so I don't know much of the preservation aspects of MCM, but it certainly looks like you have a labor of love in your home. please post more photos as you finish the kitchen and the rest of the house.
Geek with Style

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:17 am

Good job (as the excercise lady says on "Sit and Be Fit") ! !

I think R Neutra must be smiling down from above at your efforts, a clear labor of love. I think the wall removal in this compact house is well justified. Let one of your neighbors' houses stand as an examle of the original design. . .

The delicious orange door and all other color choices seem just right. In fact, I have only one criticism: the "After: entry door" shot makes clear that the new light fixture (and no doubt the old one) could be a head-knocker, or at least a visual distraction. Knowing Neutra, I'd have expected a flush fixture of some kind, perhaps mounted overhead ? Is it too late to make that happen ?

Thanks for showing us the progress. Beautiful example of thoughtful restovation.

SDR :cheers: :cheers:
Last edited by SDR on Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away." Bender

NoHoMod
Modern Fan

thank you!

Postby NoHoMod » Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:43 pm

SDR & Rockabilly, thank you for the kind words. The model really helped in figuring out the kitchen and deciding to take the wall down. I took macro photos down inside the model and worked on the scale of the island. I'm constantly doing a project, so I wanted the island to be large enough for those as well as cooking, and even folding laundry! I think it's going to be as multi-purpose as it gets!

> the "After: entry door" shot makes clear that the new light fixture (and no doubt the old one) could be a head-knocker, or at least a visual distraction.

SDR you're so right! Your idea of an overhead flush fixture makes a lot of sense. I'm sort of a collector of light fixtures and parts and right now they are all buried behind the contents of the house in my garage. Though I love this squarish fixture it fit in much better on my back patio, but I needed to provide light for a bit up front while I search. I was hoping to find something very thin that could go in that location, maybe a sconce with a refrigerator-style bulb.

I love those 8 x 8 square recessed fixtures with the tasty little chrome trim. My house had several of them, but only boxes remain- no trim or lens. I've had no luck locating a source for them, other than for modern substitues in white plastic. I want the real thing ;-)

As an aside, the other thing I can't seem to stop collecting are those little craft trays from the 60's with the 3/8" ceramic tiles like . Does anyone do anything with this scale of tile anymore? I want to integrate some into my design somewhere but haven't figured out the right place yet... I haven't found a vendor for the gold or silver flecked ones I love so much ;-)

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:17 pm

Ah, yes -- I recall those. With so much tile around today (including little ones) you'd think. . .but there's a word of difference between Bisazza and the ones you want.

I know the flush fixtures you want, too, and recall them fondly. Some were perhaps 8" square ? That's a good one. I'll keep my eye out, as they say.

Keep up the good work. SDR

Udo Min
Modern Master

Postby Udo Min » Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:45 pm

These are nice extruded aluminum flush mount squares or rectangle fixtures.... some come with a lens & even super shallow low plenum varieties.
http://www.usaillumination.com/searchRe ... Feature=76

Sort of affordable with a design discount. SDR should be able to swing a deal for these by ordering direct....

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Sat Jun 23, 2007 8:02 pm

Tsk tsk. I have no professional privilege. Perhaps an architect ?

Although these pieces are a bit different from the vintage ones, they would no doubt fill the need. The squares are mostly 4 1/2"; there is one 4 1/2" x 9" rectangle. The frames seem to be white. The lamp is compact fluorescent. The actual fixture is two or three times the size of the aperature and frame, so they couldn't (apparently) be inserted from below into the soffit (ceiling) over the door. Is there access to the attic space ?

I was hoping for a fixture that would be mounted from below, so that only the wire would have to be fed to the location from above.

Let's see; Nutone ? Lightolier ?

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

So

Postby modfan » Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:42 pm

Is there any interest generated by your work by any other houses on that street. It was really sad to see so many muddled beyond recognition, last time I drove by there. Do the neighbors think 'what the h*** is this guy doing or are they thinkin hey maybe I can do something like that. Does anyone on the street have a clue as to who Richard Neutra was?

Connie
Modern Master

Re: So

Postby Connie » Sun Jun 24, 2007 5:26 am

NoHoMod
Modern Fan

Postby NoHoMod » Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:41 pm

I think everyone on the street knows they live in a neighborhood of Richard Neutra homes, but that means something different to everyone. Most of the residents have a good sense about how their home might be modified from the original. I also admit I don't know anyone down closer to Victory, so I'm speaking for the homeowners directly around me.

This has generated some interest in the neighborhood, most of it, the head-scratching variety. :-) I find it to be fun doing something that others might be thinking is "daring" that is in actuality being conservative.

I'm happy to report that the original house is quite livable in 2006. Something thoughtful about the scale of the rooms and their placement makes the 938 square feet feel much larger, and I've had fun devising storage solutions to overcome the small size. But then I'm only one person, and it might be different for a 50's era family with another child on the way.

The kitchen is going in today, I'll put some pictures up as soon as my intermittent internet connection allows.

If anyone is interested in a little Neutra to call their own, I know of two that will be coming on the market - one very soon, and the other within the next year. The one that is sooner is the most original house on the street, the kitchen layout and cabinets are original, as are the windows (my house has a number of windows facing to the sides of the property removed.)

Here's one challenging aspect to living in these homes that I didn't think about when I was praising them; the garages for two properties are built as one building, with an interior dividing wall. The homes have 20' of shared driveway on one side... and you really get to know this neighbor! My side door opens out to the neighbor's side door, and there is s sort of "jockying for position" thing that starts to happen on the driveways. I think there are privacy solutions that could overcome the worst of that.

In all it's been great living here - I must go now and help finish up the cabinets ;-)

rockabilly
Modern Socialite

Postby rockabilly » Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:52 pm

I just got my copy of Dwell magazine today and notice a multipage article written by Neatra's son about some psychological studies done of which Neatra was a part. I found it sort of interesting to see how he scored on some of the tests taken.
Geek with Style

BOXOUTBM
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby BOXOUTBM » Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:04 pm

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:33 pm

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:24 pm

wait..... neutra track homes!?! in the valley...

jhonka
Modern Groupie

Postby jhonka » Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:36 pm

I love that bathroom glass !!

Josquin
Most Illustrious Grand Member
Most Illustrious Grand Member

Progressive Builders Homes

Postby Josquin » Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:34 pm

Yes, a small Neutra development in the Valley. NoHoMod is living in one of the FHA sponsored Progressive Builders homes built on Denny Avenue in 1942. The fourteen two bedroom, one bath houses were built near the Burbank airport to house wartime defense workers of the Lockheed aircraft factory.

Nice restovation job!

artformodernhomes
Modern Groupie

Postby artformodernhomes » Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:59 am

- Janica
www.artformodernhomes.com

bitzala
Modern Master

Postby bitzala » Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:32 pm

NoHoMod
Modern Fan

Update! Kitchen remodel

Postby NoHoMod » Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:01 pm

Hello everyone. I've finally found some time to upload some pictures of the last few weeks of my kitchen remodel. It's 90% complete, there are a number of remaining projects (I think every think my contractor completed has spawned 10 new little projects for me)

My first few experiences here in the house with contractors were difficult. I walked in just in time to stop my heating guy from patching the expansion of my attic access panel with crown molding! But for this project I had a great contractor who worked with me to get to the best solution, and who understood what I was going for. It worked out perfectly.

One thing I've been considering a lot over this process - for a mid century modern house - what is appropriate for paint finish? I'm sure it depends on the details of a particular house, but I have to say each time I started painting with something other than flat or eggshell I ended up making another run to Lowes. So most of everything is eggshell now except the orange front door.

What paint finishes have you used in your own homes and why?

AD/SFV
Modern Groupie

Postby AD/SFV » Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:00 pm

Luka
Modern Master

Postby Luka » Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:47 pm

jesgord
Modern Master

Postby jesgord » Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:37 pm

jesgord
Modern Master

Postby jesgord » Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:37 pm

Not trying to highjack this thread, but thought I'd take a look on Google at some of Colombo's kitchen designs. Much to my surprise, Boffi has reintroduced a Colombo "minikitchen" in Corian...very slick if you have a small space!!

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:23 pm

So -- under the lift-off tray is a "stove" ? Two electric burners, maybe ?

Sweet. I've wanted to see solid-surface material (Corian, etc) used to build furniture. Here it is !

SDR

jesgord
Modern Master

Postby jesgord » Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:00 pm

NoHoMod
Modern Fan

Columbo Kitchens... amazing!

Postby NoHoMod » Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:22 am

These Columbo kitchens are amazing! Thank you Jesgord. I was lucky enough as a child to be left alone in public libraries where I would scour every book on home design, modernism and industrial design. Seeing his work reminded me of that time, those books, and I realize now that my design choices were based on early exposure to great design that came about because I needed to occupy myself for a bit of time.

I am a modernist today because the principles were drilled into me so young... doesn't everyone live this way? ;-)

On my desk is a 1971 copy of Palm Springs Life magazine that features an avacado green and purple 'kitchen in the round' by PS interior designer Arthur Elrod. The island is also round and features two ceramic cooktops. I'll sneak over to the scanner later today when folks are hard at work and scan some images..

Jesgord:
The wall oven goes into that central cabinet against the wall. I have a stainless Western Holly porthole wall oven that I intend to use - I oriented everything with the thought of that being the central impact from the back wall.

Luka:
These are IKEA cabinets. Instead of using their side panels, I worked with my contractor to cut up sheets of plywood for the two sides without drawers. We're using the same plywood for the enclosure around the washer and dryer, and around the refrigerator, to pull everything together. I don't have any knobs or pulls yet - I'm still searching for what I want.

AD/SFV:
I think I HAVE seen a BMW pass by! Thank you for your kind words!

jesgord
Modern Master

Re: Columbo Kitchens... amazing!

Postby jesgord » Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:06 pm

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:00 pm

NoHoMod
Modern Fan

Postby NoHoMod » Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:30 pm

Jesgord: Those knobs at Liz's are great... but I love how the Kerf stuff looks... and I'm really trying to keep a minimal appearance to them.. My office desk has these great finger pulls that interest me... but I haven't found a place that sells them... I'll snap a picture tomorrow.

I priced out the Kerf cabinets at one point and they were prohibitive. So I told myself I would get the IKEA faces and figure out what to do from there. They are difficult to operate without pulls, and you sort of have to start from a side, and open one at a time working your way to the center cabinet :-) It's kind of comical to watch, I'm sure.

Interesting news! My neighbors house is for sale. I posted about it

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:44 pm

Some of us put some drawer pull links in this thread:

http://www.lottaliving.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=9529

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”