Need help with colors....

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
rileyandfredsmom
Modern Fan
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Need help with colors....

Postby rileyandfredsmom » Sun Jul 08, 2007 2:26 pm

We bought this house and the firplace was painted white...we've since repainted the room yellow but the beams and fireplace are still white. I was thinking of going with a deep red on the fireplace (may still strip it back to original brick but that is ALOT of work)....all of you have such nice homes, thought you might offer some suggestions.

If I go with red on the fireplace, should I leave the beams white or paint them brown? The trim will remain white. The curtains on either side of the fireplace will be chocolate brown. Please help, I'm awful at this!

Shannon

classic form
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby classic form » Sun Jul 08, 2007 4:02 pm

Here are a couple of proven combinations:

rileyandfredsmom
Modern Fan

Postby rileyandfredsmom » Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:17 pm

classic form ....love those, especially the gray/green color. Would you do it all one color (gray green) even the mantle?
Shannon

Luka
Modern Master

Postby Luka » Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:37 pm

I'd take the mantle down to make it more streamlined

rileyandfredsmom
Modern Fan

Postby rileyandfredsmom » Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:56 pm

Luka - I would if I could. The two pieces holding the mantle up are actually brick, they were installed with two bricks sticking out to hold it up so if I remove the mantle I will have two bricks sticking out...that would look really odd. How hard would it be to cut the bricks to make them flush with the rest of the fireplace???

I was just thinking about it and I think I might go a couple of shades lighter with the mantle, that might be interesting!
Shannon

artformodernhomes
Modern Groupie

Postby artformodernhomes » Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:48 am

I love that dark Olive color with the yellow, great combo, and it tones it down some, I think the yellow/red, yellow/orange would be too loud
- Janica
www.artformodernhomes.com

sumu
Modern Master

Postby sumu » Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:53 pm

Last edited by sumu on Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rileyandfredsmom
Modern Fan

Postby rileyandfredsmom » Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:09 pm

I'm going to get paint samples tomorrow night and may paint this weekend....I'm really excited.
Shannon

jonu
Most Illustrious Grand Member
Most Illustrious Grand Member
Location: Franklin Hills (Los Feliz), LA CA and Palm Springs CA

Ain's Mar Vista Tract Colors

Postby jonu » Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:27 pm

Gregory Ain's Mar Vista color chart is a great resource for mid-century modern color combinations.

From the website, ,

"The interior of each house had a color scheme matching its exterior color. All rooms used this color scheme, and each wall was a different shade of the theme color"

You can browse through the color combinations.
When I did, I noticed that and and others each feature a shade of yellow.

-Jon

vlopez
Modern Socialite

Postby vlopez » Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:08 am

Color Scheme 4 is my favorite. There are a couple of colors that you could try on the mantle if you want a color to "pop"- color #245 is a bright salmon/orange that is worth a try!

Classic Form,
Where did you find that clock reference. It's great! I have my eye on the Nelson spindle clock, but it's a little $$$$!

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:26 pm

Moving or removing the mantle would not be as diffficult on a painted brick surface as it would be otherwise; any patching will be covered by the next coat(s) of paint. In this case, the projecting brick corbels will have to be knocked off, and the damaged areas filled with auto-body patch (Bondo) and shaped to resemble the surrounding brick. Bondo is easily worked; when freshly set (after it can no longer be dented with your finger) it can be pared down with a Surform or a block plane, and can be sanded with coarse sand paper after that.

A more "modern" mantle might be a full-length one placed lower, perhaps at the top of the fireplace opening or just above. (If wood is placed closer than 12 inches to an open fireplace, some codes require it to be made fireproof; this might be accomplished by lining the underside of the mantle with metal or ceramic. . .) The new mantle can be supported by drilling 4" into the brick and cementing metal dowels (pieces of 3/8" or 1/2" rod or rebar) into the holes, with the mantle receiving similar holes. One or two of these on each side of the fireplace (stay away from the area directly above the opening) would be sufficient.

SDR
"I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away." Bender

rileyandfredsmom
Modern Fan

Postby rileyandfredsmom » Sun Jul 29, 2007 6:19 am

So, I finally got the right color on the fireplace (there was a horrific green I did hte first weekend...wasn't right at all!) but found this color last weekend and think it is perfect. Now, my question is, what color for the mantle....shade darker, shade lighter, chocolate brown to match the furniture in the room?

Disclaimer **the couch is old and won't be staying long term.

The white blinds will be gone as soon as I find the right curtains and the decorations on the fireplace are not staying....this is very much a work in progress.
Shannon

Luka
Modern Master

Postby Luka » Sun Jul 29, 2007 6:47 am

Looks great, excellent job!

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:44 am

Paint the mantle the same color as the fireplace. Less is more. Do not highlight it in any way. I think I'd just lean artwork on it too. Keep the little objects off.

VMacek
Modern Socialite

Postby VMacek » Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:49 am

That's looking nice (I like colored ceilings) - if you can, play around with Photoshop, which is what I've been doing. Easy enough to overlay colors on white objects.

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:58 am

I'd vote for a slightly lighter or darker shade of the brick color -- respecting the fact that the mantle is a different material than the masonry.

Will the ceiling trim remain blinding white ? :D

SDR

rileyandfredsmom
Modern Fan

Postby rileyandfredsmom » Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:34 pm

SDR - that isn't trim, it's a wooden beam that runs around the ceiling....what, do you think it should be the same as the fireplace? The baseboard will still be white.

VMaceK - i've tried the color system on the Behr website where you can upload your own photo and use their colors to 'paint' areas to see what it would look like but the dark colors all look the same....black. I'll have to try photoshop and see what happens.

egads - I've thought about that too....and all the little objects will go away, it's become a 'catch all' place for right now.

Thanks for the help everyone....I love having color in our home but it can be a challenge sometimes!
Shannon

VMacek
Modern Socialite

Postby VMacek » Sun Jul 29, 2007 2:37 pm

-Thanks for the help everyone....I love having color in our home but it can be a challenge sometimes!-

That's the truth - even with my Photoshop planning I painted my entire living room before I concluded it was a nasty 'Mountain Dew' shade of green. One move over in the paint chart made all the difference!

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Sun Jul 29, 2007 3:16 pm

Hey, there's nothing like seeing it full size and in place. And, if paint and time are cheap (and in the bigger scheme of things they are, I sometimes think) then one has the option of true choice: see it, like it, hate it, change it. Nothing's worse than trying to convince yourself "it's done" when you really mean, "Nope. . .that isn't what I wanted."

rileyandfredsmom
Modern Fan

Postby rileyandfredsmom » Sun Jul 29, 2007 6:36 pm

SDR - yes, that is what I try to tell my husband, it's just paint...we can redo it if we don't like it....but I have this nasty little shelf of pints of paint that weren't 'just quite right' and I think he is starting to add up those 'mistakes'. :wink:

VMaceK - I think the lady at the paint store is starting to run to the back when she sees my car pull up....but I just keep telling myself that at least my home will look interesting and not like every other beige house on the block! What is even funnier is that we are going to get started on the hallway this week (I never knew a hallway could be so much work!) and I wanted to start looking at colors...there are always 20 or so color swatches on various walls in my home....so I didn't go to the paint store, I simply pulled out my 'files' where I had over 20 color cards in the shades I was interested in. My husband came home and said "did you go all the way to the paint store while I was gone?", to which I replied, "No, those were all in my files". He just shook his head and walked away. Some people collect baseball cards, some collect figurines, some collect guns, I collect color cards! :D

I believe I am going to go a shade lighter and see what happens. That is the project for next weekend!
Shannon

vlopez
Modern Socialite

Postby vlopez » Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:32 pm

Shannon,

I came across this house on the web, and yellow reminded me of your room. Thought it might inspire you.

[url]http://losangeles.tvoa.net/photos.php?property_ID=730[url][/url]

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:55 pm

your color choices are wonderful.
the white trim and beam white is too white.
too much contrast.
don't be afraid to use similar color on the mantle.
maybe a glossy version of the fireplace. it will reflect
light more and appear a different shade.
same with trim. a flat wall color will absorb light.
the same color on the trim and around doors will
reflect light, thus appear lighter.
all white is wonderful for some. but i am a fan of color.
but not color with white trim...
try painting a doorway, the one in picture, with one
of the wall colors in semi-gloss. it will all make sense.

rileyandfredsmom
Modern Fan

Postby rileyandfredsmom » Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:22 pm

vlopez - those colors are perfect! I'm going to save those pics in my 'files'. Thank you!

rockandlounge - I agree, I'm not a fan of the trim in white...I know I need to repaint it, it is just nerve-wracking to do so. Can't explain why...well, actually I can, growing up, you painted the trim white, no matter what the wall color, the trim was always white so I just think trim should be white...it's a rule, right???!!

I may experiment with the beams...still need to paint the mantle and have the color in semi-gloss...deep breath!
Shannon

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:06 pm

Last edited by egads on Sat Aug 04, 2007 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rileyandfredsmom
Modern Fan

Postby rileyandfredsmom » Sat Aug 04, 2007 2:19 pm

egads...I see what you are saying. The white is not a bright white, it's 'Betsy's Linen' but I understand your point. Now that I've gone to a darker color on the fireplace, it might be a good idea to change the trim. I totally understand where you are coming from.

As far as art, I will probably have a piece done to put on the mantle and one other wall in the room...no kids so that inexpensive idea is a goner! I'm also considering a collage of mirrors on the mantle as right across from it in the kitchen are the sliding glass doors....the mirrors would reflect the light and bring a little more light into the very dark space.

We just started the hallway today, removing trim, peeling the ceiling, stripping door jambs and having recessed lighting put in. We also decided to pull the ultra traditional trim from around the doors in the living room as well so I will get a chance to redo that portion of the room and bring it together more.

This is a lot of work, I sometimes wish we had bought a house where this work had already been done but it will look amazing in the end. It will all just take time.
Shannon

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:51 pm

I would think about a lighter shade of the new fireplace color -- maybe 30% toward white ? -- for the trim, including the ceiling "beams." After all, the mantle, which is clearly wood, is already that color. Regardless of the wall hue(s) I think this new tone might be dandy. Of course, it will look different depending on what it is next to: it will look cooler (bluer) against orange, warmer against green, etc -- and darker next to white, etc.

SDR

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:52 pm

Last edited by SDR on Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Sat Aug 04, 2007 8:57 pm

So riley and fred are the livestock...Thanks for understanding the rant that was my previous post. There were numerous typos and incomplete sentences. I kind of fixed it up.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”