Removing paint from exterior stone on MCM (my nightmare)

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
influx99
Modern Fan
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Removing paint from exterior stone on MCM (my nightmare)

Postby influx99 » Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:34 pm

The previous owners of my MCM made the lovely decision to paint the exterior stone on the house. There's a base of masonry primer and 1 top coat. Both are latex and were applied with a paint sprayer about 3 years ago. Removing the paint requires the entire surface getting 2 applications of Peel Away 6... not cheap running about $55/gal. I'm using a pressure washer to get it off after it dwells for 2 days. I can only do about one 4' x 6' piece at a time. It will probably take me over 15 gallons to remove the paint from this wall and 3 weeks of applying stripper, pressure washing, and cleaning up. That area in the photo that's being treated is about a gallon of stripper.

I'm using Peel Away 6 for environmental and safety reasons, plus it works pretty good, but the cost hurts. So do the math... $40 in paint results in an enormous amount of time, effort, and money. I also had to remove 14 yews that had been planted in front of the house so I could work.

Before this, we tried sandblasting and the paint wouldn't budge. Because it's latex, the rubbery nature of it was too pliable to blast. That experiment cost me a couple of hundred bucks as well.

The upside is, once it's done, it's done.

BOXOUTBM
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby BOXOUTBM » Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:40 pm

Despite all the work, the Finished brick is going to look great. Well Done. Please post Photos when you are finished

scottkaycee
Modern Master

Postby scottkaycee » Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:33 pm

How about a career in Architecture? www.scottkirkcueto.blogspot.com

post50modern
Most Illustrious Grand Member

Postby post50modern » Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:16 pm

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:56 pm

"I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away." Bender

Slim and Gabby

Postby Slim and Gabby » Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:39 pm

This might be a little involved, but have you tried a heat gun? After you get it nice and crispy, think of the Colonel's secret seven herbs rand spices, it should come off with a water blasting, or a sand blasting too might work even better. A heat gun will make the enamel paint quite brittle and bubbly; once the paint is separated from the surface, that being from the blistering , it shouldn't be too hard to power wash off.
Just a thought,
Slim
Pen-gu-ins is pracatically chickinz, and I hates to see chickinz cry so much, I has to put’em outta ther mizzery!

travelteam
Modern Socialite

Postby travelteam » Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:38 pm

Awesome work! I thought we had it tough with our little fireplace... you've really tackled a monster there. So nice to see the color variances coming out in your stone. I used the same stuff on our painted birch cabinetry with good results.

influx99
Modern Fan

Postby influx99 » Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:36 am

Slim + Gabby,
I actually had stripped the other side of this wall on the interior, which they also painted (that's another nightmarish story... couldn't use a pressure washer on the inside of the house. Didn't get as good results). I tried a heat gun there, but it simply did not make this stuff budge. I don't know if it's because it's paint for masonry or what, but it is nasty stuff, very rubbery.

Thanks all for the positive feedback. I guess in actuality the work isn't that hard, just tedious and somewhat expensive. It's just frustrating to me that someone would actually paint the stone.

sumu
Modern Master

Postby sumu » Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:21 am

The church down the street from us did the same thing to their PV rock wall - such a shame. It was the best feature, and now it's light grey.

The work you've done has really paid off in a big way - now it matches the chimney, visible in your picture, and it's looking great. What a payoff.

heidi_loo
Modern Groupie

Postby heidi_loo » Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:34 am

Wow! I can see the argument for painting stone sometimes when it is really fake manufactured ugly stone in rainbow colours, but not that lovely stone that you have uncovered.

Way to go on fixing an atrocity! The dollars and hours will be worth it, even if it hurts now.

rockabilly
Modern Socialite

Postby rockabilly » Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:09 pm

I agree with the others. the final result is fantastic. great job!
Geek with Style

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:26 am

It looks great !

Can we see some close-up pictures of the results?
"Better Living Through Modernism"

influx99
Modern Fan

Postby influx99 » Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:23 am

Here are some close up shots, before + after.

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:40 am

you're hired.

good job!

classic form

Postby classic form » Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:43 pm

Bravo!

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:48 pm

Looks like a great job to me !
"Better Living Through Modernism"

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:36 pm

influx99
Modern Fan

Postby influx99 » Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:06 am

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:37 pm

don't make them shiny. leave them natural looking. If you like wet rocks, put in a japanese garden.

home_boy
Modern Master

Postby home_boy » Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:25 pm

Yes, leave them natural. If you make them shiny it would be a matter of "nothing succeeds like excess" : )

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:07 pm

Certainly. Let the accidental (?) spray from the hose, while watering, suffice ! Blowing rain also produces a nice effect. And a snowfall will reflect light onto the wall in a new way. Enjoy those New England seasons. . .I miss them.

SDR

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:18 pm

i like my slate entry all seasons.
and most when it is wet. but is is a lovely surprise
to see it dry. and then wet again.
enjoy the season change...
that is new york and its seasons.
big love for your dedication to strip the stone.
it is beautiful. and the stones have so much character.
you will appreciate every one of them. you are
getting to know them personally. it is important to do
work yourself. it is a bond with you house as corny as it
may seem. it becomes a part of you...
my father still makes fun of my passion for my cars,
and the places i have lived. and my new mcm. but it is
a part of me, and the smallest restoration project is a
passion to connect with the object, to know your surroundings,
to be a part of its survival...and they don't talk back.!

influx99
Modern Fan

old + new projects

Postby influx99 » Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:03 am

Thanks again for all the feedback.

Currently working on a major window project... converting the original fixed eight 4x8' windows in the living room to four 8' wide sliders + a deck. This one I'm not doing myself.... too much structural work for my taste. I'll post images as work progresses, but here is a sneak peak of the crew preparing to remove the old windows.

jesgord
Modern Master

Re: old + new projects

Postby jesgord » Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:17 am

influx99
Modern Fan

Re: old + new projects

Postby influx99 » Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:19 am

dilettante

Postby dilettante » Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:49 am

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”