Modern Landscape Design

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
johnnyapollo
Special Secret Modern Agent

Modern Landscape Design

Postby johnnyapollo » Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:31 am

I attended a really wonderful DOCOMOMO lecture last night in regards to Modern landscape design. James R. Cothran lectured and featured images from a recent tour of Thomas Church designed gardens in the San Francisco area and locally, plus a pretty much intact garden in Columbus Georgia designed by James Rose - the current owner's of the latter property were also in attendance, as well as some faculty that worked with both architects during installations at UGA. Although I had an above-normal awarness of modern landscape architecture, the lecture really brought things into focus for me and provided some great ideas - also the reference materials got me searching for some books (two that I bought online today were "Invisible Gardens" on Amazon and "Modern Garden Design" by Janet Waymark) - both featured works of Church and the former James Rose.

If you're into Modernism and live in Atlanta, I highly recommend the DOCOMOMO sponsered events and lectures. Blog is here:
http://www.docomomoga.org/wordpress/

-- John
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."
Philip K. Dick

Desperately Seeking Modern
http://modernseeker.blogspot.com

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:15 pm

nice. I encourage everyone to seek books on Thomas Church, Garrett Eckbo, James Rose, Doug Baylis. great stuff.

mod cats
Modern Socialite
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby mod cats » Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:49 pm

I will check these out, too. I'm trying to get up to speed on Modern landscape design and so far am leaning toward Japanese-style gardens because of their simplicity, but my challenge is the fact that I have a small yard. Do all of these authors address small-scale landscaping efforts?

johnnyapollo
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby johnnyapollo » Sun Jul 29, 2007 3:08 pm

Thomas Church has over 3000 landscapes attributed to him - most are in the San Francisco area and they range from small, compact yards to very large vistas.

-- John
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Philip K. Dick

Desperately Seeking Modern

http://modernseeker.blogspot.com

Josquin
Most Illustrious Grand Member
Most Illustrious Grand Member

Thomas Church

Postby Josquin » Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:18 pm

For information on the work of Thomas Church refer to his popular books "Gardens are for People" and "Your Private World: A Study of Intimate Gardens" In addition, check out "Thomas Church Landscape Architect: Designing a Modern California Landscape" edited by Marc Treib.

For information on modern Japanese gardens, look at "The New Zen Garden: Designing Quiet Spaces" by Joseph Cali and "The Modern Japanese Garden" by Michiko Rico Nosé. Both books have examples of small gardens in traditional and contemporary Japanese styles.

jesgord
Modern Master

Re: Thomas Church

Postby jesgord » Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:53 am

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:18 am

I recommend the recent book, The New American Garden: Innovations in Residential Landscape Architecture : 60 Case Studies (Landscape Architecture) (Paperback)
by James Grayson Trulove

Try finding it at the library or getting it on interlibrary loan because it can be a pricey out of print book.

http://www.amazon.com/New-American-Gard ... 748&sr=8-5

mod cats
Modern Socialite

Postby mod cats » Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:31 pm

Thank you all for your recommendations....looks like I have a lot of reading to do, but my yard is a work in progress, so I'll add to my landscaping as I learn....

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:34 pm

modern landscaping is hard.
(repeat that 20 times)
keeping it simple and clean and low maintenance
seems to be the goal.
envious of posts and photos of success.
many here, so search the past forums.
i seem to be drawn to simplicity. and repitition.
what needs little care for your area, and something
that you like, and multiples of it.
i put in 35 ground cover blueberry in a corner
grassy spot. grows 6 inches high and is starting to
spread. finding what works. i don't want the perfect
lawn of my parents, too obsessive.
i have most of the books recomended above, and
many more. and still learning.
don't get discouraged. gardening and landscaping
is a facinating sport...
i'm starting to want pool and concrete...

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”