Community Meeting RE: long beach Ranchos

Home improvement Q&A, pictures and news fro Mid Century Modern Homes and Houses(NOT for Real Estate)

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Community Meeting RE: long beach Ranchos

Postby egads » Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:32 pm

I got a notice today:

You are invited to a Community Meeting to discuss Potential restrictions on the size and character of single family homes in the Rancho Estates.
Monday, August 6, 6:00-7:30 PM
El Dorado Neighborhood Library
2900 Studebaker Road

Some residents have expressed concern over new construction that is out of scale and is changing the character of the neighborhood. The City is conducting a neighborhood meeting to gather input to determine idf development standards should be changed. The purpose of the meeting is as follows:

1. To learn from residents if recent remodels or new construction is out of scale and changing the neighborhood character and/ or

2. if there is a problem, to obtain residents opinions on solutions such as modifying the current development standards or preventing demolitions.

The feedback obtained from this meeting will be presented to the City Council at a later date. The City Council will be deciding if the development standards in the Rancho Estates neighborhood should be changed. Your input and participation is very important. Please attend this meeting or contact Anita Garcia at (562) 570-6193 or Anita_Garcia@longbeach.gov to provide input on this very important issue.

From the Dept. of Building and Planning.

Be there or be square. And if you can't be there, do write to Anita

vlopez
Modern Socialite

Postby vlopez » Sun Jul 29, 2007 5:51 pm

Got my letter too. We're out of town that day, but I'll be sure to email my 2¢ to Anita. It'll be interesting to hear the outcome.
Last edited by vlopez on Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BOXOUTBM
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby BOXOUTBM » Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:56 am

Stephen
Modern Guru

Good news...

Postby Stephen » Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:18 pm

This is definitely good news for you guys up in Long Beach. You should be so proud as to have such pro-active city government when it comes to development issues.

Big News:
Stephen Meade
www.meadefirst.com

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:00 pm

I guess 53 years late is better than never. good luck, peeps. Do post your progress.

I am in the beginning stages of resurrecting our 15+ year defunct home owners association. Gotta keep out the McMansion invasion. it's happening everywhere!

Height restrictions and outdoor privacy are key!

BOXOUTBM
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby BOXOUTBM » Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:50 am

This meeting should be interesting. I have a feeling (just by talking with my own neighbors) that this subject could turn heated very quickly. I might be wrong but there is a faction of original and long time owners who are threatened by this. I personally can't wait for this all to begin and very excited to see the the City actually start recognizing the Ranchos as more than just another Housing Tact (PD 11, I beleive) in Long Beach.

lasquirrel
Modern Master

owners threatened

Postby lasquirrel » Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:11 pm

I'm surprised that people feel threatened by this. I went to the mtg at City Hall during the week and it's not about historical status it's more about keeping the McMansionization to a minimum. Maybe you could discourage those against from going :wink:
sheryl
Sheryl

S'Wonderful
Modern Socialite

Postby S'Wonderful » Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:07 pm

We'll be there, as well. I agree that, city-wide, it's not just a Rancho issue. Many neighborhoods are being compromised by oversized McMansions being built next to traditional 50s bungalows. While I'm most concerned about the Ranchos, I hope that the McMansions are stopped elsewhere in the city, as well. They just don't fit the neighborhoods.
Life is good!

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:08 pm

Well, there were a few folks who thought they might be unnecessarily restricted. But it soon became apparent that they were outnumbered.
The city staff, who had come to talk about Mc Mansions, found a crowd wanting design standards at least. Those of us who would go all the way to historical turned out to be the lunatic fringe. There are folks who don't want to be told they can't change their windows. Mostly we don't want the old ones going in the trash. (I mumbled "go ahead and put a bunch of vinyl windows, it will cost you $100,000 in lost value, plus the cost of the windows) But really nice appropriate new windows might be out of a retired person's budget. But the complete stopping of all second story additions was pretty unanimous.

If anyone did not get a chance to attend, there are green postcards floating around to write in. But there will be a website up ASAP. In the meantime, your input/opinion can still be left as an email to: Anita_Garcia@longbeach.gov

lasquirrel
Modern Master

Postby lasquirrel » Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:31 am

Sheryl

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:19 pm

Well, I'm a little late posting this, but there is another meeting tonight:

6:00 - 7:00 PM El Dorado Park Senior Center

To discuss changes to zoning regulations in the Rancho Estates.

Hopefully those of you that are interested (live here) paid attention to the flyer sent out last week about this meeting. For those that may not be aware, there is a Yahoo group dedicated to the Long Beach Cliff May homes:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/cliffmayranchos/

merritt
Modern Socialite

Postby merritt » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:41 pm

It was a pretty big turnout for the meeting. I was actually surprised at the very very small amount of people who were against restricting two story additions and in favor of demolitions. There was an elderly couple sitting behind me that kept trying to whisper to each other (however, at their age whispering is not very quiet) about how they were upset about the whole movement. They represented about half of the people wanting no change.

I liked the points that a lot of neighbors made. One new mom stated that she didn't buy the argument that adding on to a Rancho is necessary to raise a family because moving would be too expensive (apparently additions are free?). She stated that if someone wants more they should move across Studebaker to another street where homes can be had for $100k less. A few people spoke out against stucco, which at this point can't really be prevented. Rochelle also spoke about educating neighbors on the uniqueness of the neighborhood's character. Fortunately education on those matters that effect property values might have an impact on some people, but there will always be people who could not care any less. All in all it made for an evening of entertainment.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes”