You'll Shoot Your Eye Out!

Show your stuff or ask questions about housewares, ephemera, books, artwork, furnishings.

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, nichols, Java

Izzy
Modern Master

You'll Shoot Your Eye Out!

Postby Izzy » Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:30 am

Here is a little something we found on the top shelf pushed way back out of sight in our kids basement room when we remodeled. Looks like it is atleast from the 50's if not older. Very cool!

synthetic space
Modern Master

Postby synthetic space » Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:41 am

Wow! Having watched the movie a million times, I always had assumed that "Red Ryder" was made-up, not a real brand.

jakabedy
Modern Master

Postby jakabedy » Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:12 pm

My dad swears that the author of that book was spying on him during his childhood. The 1940s, the bully, the dog-cussing father, the long-suffering mother, the frozen great lakes city, the whole shebang. And dad had the exact BB gun. My grandad always had it at the house for me to play with when I visited as a kid. I remember going to buy BBs in the little cardboard tubes -- they looked like shotgun shells.

Granddad is gone, as is the house in Ohio. But dad still has the Red Ryder in the back of his closet. My dad was born in 1939, so I'm guessing 1947-1952 for the age of his particular gun.
1920s Bungalow Gal turned MCM Maven

My Blog: http://magiccitymodern.blogspot.com/

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Sat Oct 13, 2007 4:43 pm

Was that a Gene Shepherd story ? I think he was from Indiana; sounds like his kind of thing. . .

I used to listen to his radio show at night when I was a kid.

SDR
"I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away." Bender

sumu
Modern Master

Postby sumu » Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:17 am

My dad bought my son a Red Ryder bb gun last christmas - you can still them, quite cheaply.

the_librarian
Modern Groupie

Postby the_librarian » Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:11 pm

Like history? Me too...
http://history.writingwithtony.com/

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:18 pm

"I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away." Bender

googieagog
Modern Master

Postby googieagog » Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:44 am

I've got two of these, one with a wood stock and the other plastic, both handed down by older brothers. The wood stock I think is early '50s and the plastic one late '50s.

I recall some neighborhood kids would scuff their feet on doormats to tear up the little rubber nubbs, then load those into BB guns. They'd then shoot each other in the legs, usually while wearing shorts. This was the pre-paintball solution to the endless 'I got you!' 'No, you missed!' while playing Army. You knew a hit was scored by the 'oww' or other choice word.

EdJ
Modern Fan

Jean Sheperd

Postby EdJ » Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:08 pm

I'm not familiar with Jean Sheperd, but for those interested in CD's of his broadcasts check out

From the Radio Spirits catalog:
Writer of fiction, creator of television and movies, best know today as the author and narrator of the holiday movie favorite "A Christmas Story", legendary humorist Jean Sheperd (1921-1999) started it all on the radio, and was most often heard during the period of 1955-1977 on WOR radio in New York, a clear channel station heard all along the Eastern seaboard and points west.

Return to “Modern Collectibles and Furniture”