Can you tell me anything about this entertainment unit ??

Show your stuff or ask questions about housewares, ephemera, books, artwork, furnishings.

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
retromodernjeff
Modern Socialite
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Can you tell me anything about this entertainment unit ??

Postby retromodernjeff » Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:16 pm

Just bought this on Craigslist for $100.00, that's right $100. But have no idea where it came from or who made it, there are no marks I can find anywhere. Its approx 7ft long and 5 1/2ft tall. Made from either walnut or teak or both, possible mahogany interior in the large left upper section behind doors, the upper cabinet front woodwork is stlyed from early mahogany boat decks and has a glossy finish (like a Chris Craft runabout or maybe even closer to a Riva deck). The lower section has a more traditional satin finish. The construction and materials are high end, the drawers are soild beech with nice dovetail joints, some of the interior uses figured maple, the cabinet backs are plywood not fiberboard same with drawer bottoms, there are no door pulls, just locking brass latches that open using a large key.

If anyone has any ideas, let them fly. :-)

jesgord
Modern Master

Postby jesgord » Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:57 pm

Reminds me of some of John Keal's work for Brown Saltman

srk1941
Modern Master

Postby srk1941 » Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:11 am

Hi retromodernjeff -

Your cabinet is most likely 1950's European, maybe French or Swedish. That glossy finish is typical, as is the wood and ivory plastic pull. Also, the keyhole is for a skeleton key, and by the 50's that was obsolete for new furniture in the U.S.

That 1940s Brown Saltman piece is Gilbert Rohde, I believe. It's been attributed to Paul Frankl as well (John Keal didn't start designing for Brown Saltman until the 50s), but the design is more typical of Rohde. Unfortunately, not much information exists anymore about Brown Saltman, a very much under appreciated manufacturer, who used the best designers of the day for their collections.
Steven Keylon
Village Green - National Historic Landmark

retromodernjeff
Modern Socialite

Postby retromodernjeff » Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:03 pm

Really appreciate the info, thanks ! In fact we did get two large keys with the piece and all the latches work. One think I forgot to mention, the old gal we purchased this from mentioned it was Danish, I figured she had just read it somewhere as she really did not seem to know about mcm furniture. After finding no clues on the piece, I wonder if she was told by whoever that it was Swedish and she remembered it as Danish.

I also just realized that I put this in the wrong forum, maybe the webmistress can move it to where to needs to go.

alexforum
Modern Socialite

Postby alexforum » Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:26 am

I really doubt your piece is Swedish. I'm Swedish myself and although I can't say for sure, I would be very surprised if it was from here (or Denmark for that matter)...

Unfortunately I don't have any better suggestions myself...

retromodernjeff
Modern Socialite

Postby retromodernjeff » Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:12 am

What is your reasoning for that ?

retromodernjeff
Modern Socialite

Postby retromodernjeff » Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:13 am

What is your reasoning for that ?

alexforum
Modern Socialite

Postby alexforum » Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:58 am

Well, I can't tell for sure of course, but it just doesn't look Swedish to me.

The light, shiny laquered wood is not my idea of the Swedish 50's, I think of lots of heavy teak and rosewood furniture as well as the 'String' shelving units by Nisse Strinning and also a lot of other stuff made in the 'String' style.

The use of lighter color woods, such as birch and pine, became much more common in the 70's...

That said, I'm not sure about your piece at all. -It might be Swedish, especially if it was made in the late 1960's-70's...

retromodernjeff
Modern Socialite

Postby retromodernjeff » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:37 pm

Ya, I thought I should have taken better photos, the wood is not that light, the outer woods are either walnut / teak or both. There is a band of maple and most likely maple strips between the wider top front boards.

Return to “Modern Collectibles and Furniture”