MCM Record Consoles

Show your stuff or ask questions about housewares, ephemera, books, artwork, furnishings.

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, nichols, Java

Izzy
Modern Master

MCM Record Consoles

Postby Izzy » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:59 pm

Look what i picked up on Craigs list today for 45 smackers!
anyone else have one to show? what are you listening to?

1. Van Morrison: Astral Weeks
2. Nancy Sinatra
3. Elvis; blue hawaii (duh)
4. This Mortal Coil (sounds KILLER on record)

spinsLPs
Most Illustrious Grand Member
Most Illustrious Grand Member

Postby spinsLPs » Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:03 am

Um... everything sounds KILLER on record!

Izzy
Modern Master

Postby Izzy » Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:27 am

um....it sounds extra killer

Slim and Gabby
Special Secret Modern Agent

Hmmmm-givin me ideas...

Postby Slim and Gabby » Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:42 am

We have tooo too many records and record players. (OK, I wouldn't and haven't parted with any). I've been on Slim to build us a cabinet across one wall of the living room so we can have them all out at once.

We scored a cool little wire rack for our great RCA player with hinged speakers we got a couple of years ago. There's room for 20-30 platters (when's the last time ya heard that?) underneath, and I have 4 metal racks holding about 20 from long ago. Been looking at Sunset storage idea books for record storage/display. Maybe we should just make it look like an old console, huh?

The green record player sounds pretty good, and looks a lot like the kind your hip A/V person would have had at school.

My favorite records right now are the original soundtrack to "A Man and a Woman", and I always like anything by Michele Legrand (Umbrellas of Cherbourg). Slim is deeeeep into Bert Kampfert and Ray Conniff. Any of those semi-instrumentals with space-ladies are the best!

Space-lady vocals are always a must. Who knew my mom was cool enough to have original Yma Sumac records? I have always done really well at thrift stores. All those big instrumental hits of the late 50's to early 70's are the greatest. Got Ray Conniff doing" It must be him, oh GOD, it MUSt be him" right now.

Whaddya listenin' to?
Pen-gu-ins is pracatically chickinz, and I hates to see chickinz cry so much, I has to put’em outta ther mizzery!

Izzy
Modern Master

Postby Izzy » Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:57 am

I don't really listen to this one a lot but i sure like to look at the cover...

Slim and Gabby

Rusty Warren.....uuuuuhhhhh

Postby Slim and Gabby » Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:11 pm

I have no idea how you spell the "lurch" sound. But that is what Rusty Warren gets. Yes! VERRRY scary. We wound up with two or three of her albums which we used to embarrass a friend on his 40th. Baaaad taste.

For delightful bad taste, you just can't beat Mrs. Miller. If you haven't heard her, she is truly the worst songstress ever. Her school lunch lady version of "These Boots are made for Walkin" is surreal at best. Wow.

I am also a big fan of poorly produced Christian records. Miss Marcy is a singing ventriloquist. And I recently got "Charlie the Hamster Sings the Ten Commandments". Thou shalt not commit adultery is a masterpiece about what Mommies and Daddies do. Whew!

What I am dying to hear on vinyl is "Prudence and Penny", a child duo that were apparently recorded in their bathroom singing syrupy standards.
Good stuff.

And for the more recent, I agree. Anything on the 4AD label is MUCH better on vinyl. And so is real ol' fashioned 80's punk. Glad I never got rid of any of mine!

Where do you find records?
Pen-gu-ins is pracatically chickinz, and I hates to see chickinz cry so much, I has to put’em outta ther mizzery!

Izzy
Modern Master

Postby Izzy » Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:05 pm

we are guilty of being binge and purgers. we do have many records that have stayed with us. i for one still have many of the very first records i ever bought. mostly pop 80s stuff since i was all of about 10 yrs old back then. cindi lauper, bruce springsteen... the ones i grew up on that i stole from my mom eventually were West Side Story, Sound of Music and John Denver. very nostaligic for me. we have always taken peoples collections when they were getting rid of them and we have always been thrift store/garage sale junkies so many have come from that.
Great finds for me have been someones entire collection of Cat Stevens records at the local goodwill, my brother in law left us his collection which has the likes of Tom Waits, Van Morrison, Rickie Lee Jones.
the ones we've gathered on our own are lots of Beat Happening, Modest Mouse, Headcoats and Billy childish. late 80's early 90's garage/punk stuff.

the problem we're having right now with our "new" console is a pretty loud hum from either the tubes or the speakers or something. could be a wiring thing, i don't know. but we are really enjoying getting to hear our records again.

Slim and Gabby

Postby Slim and Gabby » Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:34 am

Slim and Gabby

Postby Slim and Gabby » Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:44 am

Izzy
Modern Master

Postby Izzy » Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:51 am

Ok, so now i am freaked out...
heres a stupid question. i know nothing about how these old record players work....but, is it possible to take out the speakers that are in the console from the back and put in new speakers (like i have a set of bose speakers that would fit in the cabinet nicely) then just hook those up to the record player? i would like to still use the old radio but its not as important. basically i would just be using the furniture piece with different speakers inside. is this possible or am i clueless about the whole tube thing. where do you get new tubes? (not NOS)
Great.

Slim and Gabby

Postby Slim and Gabby » Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:20 pm

Izzy, you can get tubes anywhere you want, even old ones; it’s the capacitors you should worry about! Warning, once you get started, it hard to stop getting more and more into, GULP, vintage electronics! I collect old TV’s, radios or you name it, and work on them.
If you can disconnect the speakers in the cabinet, and hook them up to the Bose, then by all means, do so! The mongo-big consoles aren’t worth anything these days, heck, a lot of people will give them to you, you just need to pick them up (they take up a lot of room if you can’t tell!).
You can buy tubes on eBay, for good prices. Buy a good tube tester for the sake of your sanity: DON’T BUY ONE ON EBAY! Chances are the caps are bad in it, or the resistors are bad, useless, then you have to restore that too; yikes!

Ask someone here:

http://antiqueradios.com/forums/viewfor ... 99485b2aa7

I’m sure someone will be more than happy to sell you one that they’ve fixed; some of us are weird, we only want to fix them, not keep them (I keep my stuff). I’d offer to work on your set, but since it’s not mine, I won’t take that liability.
If you’re feeling brave, you can recap it yourself; it’s not hard, you just need to study up on what you’re doing. A soldiering iron and capacitance/resistance tester are all you really need to do it, plus the parts. You can buy parts and schematics/wiring-diagram here:

http://www.justradios.com/

I work on my own TV’s; if you want scary, try 50,000 volts; the high voltage in a tube TV will kill you instantly. Again, if you’re cautious, you can do it yourself and learn while you’re doing it; I’m working on a 1957 Hotpoint 17-inch and a late 1950’s Emerson 19-inch: I can’t wait to watch my old movies on them!
Anymore questions?
Slim

Izzy
Modern Master

Postby Izzy » Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:09 pm

uhhhh.... yes, one question: where do i find someone to fix it for me!
(i think shipping it to california is out of the question)
i did join the antique radio site. thanks for the link and im getting some information but im sure i sound like an idiot to most of them. (what the heck is a filter cap?) (do i have a solid state or what?)
my husband is extremely mechanically inclined and could probably do it but i want all the info before i tell him what he's going to be doing.
thanks so much slim

valery
Modern Socialite

Postby valery » Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:39 pm

I probably have about 10 different record players... one of them is a console. Just bought another great turntable off of ebay with a built in 8 track player Saturday.
Here's one of my favorites and part of my record collection (I have records all over my apartment... can't wait to move into the house I'm buying in August, so I can have them all in one room finally!):

Slim and Gabby

Postby Slim and Gabby » Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:13 pm

Read this:

http://www.justradios.com/captips.html

Find the make and model number, or chassis number. Order the schematic, about 15bux, this will tell you all the parts you need. Once you have a list of your parts, you can buy them and install them.
Yours is not solid state or transistorized; that means you don't replace the tubes because there are none.
Yes, a filter cap is the same as an electrolytic cap.
Your husband should be able to do the work, but make sure he reads the link I just sent if he's never done any sort of electronics work.
I would buy a soldering iron, a cap tester and dikes (wire cutters) to do this; it should be all you need.
Tell whoever you're talking to on the forum what is happening, they're usually very understanding, and that you want to do this job yourself, and that you'd appreciate some mentoring.
Slim

wwilber
Modern Master

Postby wwilber » Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:26 pm

My '57 Webcor Overture:

Yes the cords are unsightly, but aren't always on display. This is a mono unit, and requires an external speaker for stereo sound. I have an original matching Webcor speaker in the closet just to the left, although the finish is different. The black box on top was an optional accessory and adjusts balance and volume between both speakers at the same time.

The Webcor changer is a "Magic-Mind" and will intermix 45's and 33's in the same stack, automatically switching speeds accordingly. The tube line-up is pretty decent for a smaller console, and it has nice sound (although not as great as some).

I would probalby have 10 more of these if I had room, and since I don't, I've aquired several vintage radios instead.

Slim and Gabby

Postby Slim and Gabby » Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:07 am

Izzy, I looked at your posts on the ARF and it looks like you have some good help. BTW the filter caps are more often than not jacketed in aluminum, shiny silver can, about as round as a quarter or nickel and about three to four-inches tall. They have about four caps inside of them; what you replace them with wont look at all like what you buy.
Look on the side of the can; there will be numbers with some shapes next to them, triangle, square, and half circle, that read something like 300MFD 175VCD; this means 300 microfarads at 175 volts direct current. When you order the parts, you want to match up the MFD's exactly, but you can go way above the VCD's. Example you can buy a 300MFD@350VCD, or even a 300MFD@10,000VCD, but not 300MFD@100VCD.
To install them you have to make sure the ground, marked as( - minus sign ) are all connected together and at the same point, to the chassis, the metal part that holds the guts together. The ( + ) is your positive post, and that goes to the different components.
Is it a DuMont? Do yourself a big favor, and research DuMont; they were a really cool company! It will boggle your mind at how many of the great TV actors started working with them; yep, there was a DuMont network too! I'd love to have a DuMont TV again.
Slim

happy modernists in MN
Modern Socialite

a hidden stereo...

Postby happy modernists in MN » Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:03 am

hi there, my hubby and i are amateur northern soul/6t's dj's and wannabee record collectors. here is our little cabinet, made from a cabinet we almost tossed out. we put hinges on the top piece of wood, took out the drawers and made the fronts so they don't open, and drilled some holes out the back and bottom, and voila! it's nice because my 2 1/2 year old stays out of if for the most part. i'm glad we saved it, it cleaned up okay and i have a kitchen hutch that matches it. we were planning to put in a light and switch that turns on when the top is opened, and also a fan for air circulation.

we have that same white ikea shelf to store our records!

thanks for sharing all of your consoles, it's fun to see them!

krissy in mn

I like pink toilets, pink kitchens, lambretta sx200's and bianchinas.

Izzy
Modern Master

Postby Izzy » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:27 pm

CapitalMod
Modern Master

Postby CapitalMod » Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:29 am

wwilber:

Nice piece of gear! I have a Magnavox that is basically the same design, but is built from dark mahogany rather than blond wood.

Izzy:

Nice find! Now considering you got if for a song, throw some money into it to bring it back to is full glory. As was said, recapping is a must. Any stereo repair person can do it. Or, with an investment in time and study, you could do it yourself.

As for the speakers, DO NOT put Bose in that piece. Have the speakers recapped as well and maybe refoamed. Check if the other components are up to snuff.

Find someone who will pick it up and do all of this at once. For somewhere between 600 and 800 dollars, you could have that entire system rebuilt so that it last another 50 years. :D

AJ Fisher
Modern Master

MCM Record Consoles

Postby AJ Fisher » Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:14 pm

Last edited by AJ Fisher on Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:58 am, edited 3 times in total.

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:44 pm

Izzy
Modern Master

Postby Izzy » Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:07 pm

i believe it is a DuMont. i don't know what year, we have yet to figure that out. once we get the back off and look at the tubes we will hopefully be able to tell. i would love to just go drop it somewhere and have somebody totally fix it up but MDH will have to do it. with all the projects around our house we just can't find the extra $$.
please post pics if you can!

wwilber
Modern Master

Postby wwilber » Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:15 pm

The forum at phonoland.com is also a good resource for identifying and troubleshooting.

AJ Fisher
Modern Master

MCM Record Consoles

Postby AJ Fisher » Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:16 pm

I just got my RCA console delivered (from being serviced/overhauled) and I've snapped some photos to share.

I have been looking for a decent, "keeper" phonograph for some time. So many record players I've come across have banged-up or scratched cabinetry or are missing a dial or two. This unit was in good physical appearance, had all the controls intact, and was functional (but long overdue for a "tune-up").

This is a 1963 RCA Victor phonograph & AM/FM stereo console. It plays 16, 33, 45 and 78 RPM. A different needle is required to play a 78. The cabinetry is walnut in a danish modern style. It retailed for around $549.00! It is in near-mint condition; never been previously modified with the exception of the addition of a different power cord and a newer FM antennae.

The person I found to service this unit described it as the last of a great line of phonographs; a "Cadillac" of stereo consoles. It is one of the last to use significant amounts of real wood instead of press-board in the cabinet construction. Also, it was the last year that vacuum tubes were utilized in RCA models of this configuration; transistors were used instead starting in '64.

All the condensers/capacitors have been replaced as part of the overhaul. A phonograph with old capacitors will exhibit a humming sound from the speakers. Old capacitors had a life span of approximately 40 years and have a wax, outer covering. Newer capacitors have a lifespan of perhaps 100 year and have a plastic/vinyl exterior.

This console did not originally have a fuse, however this one has a fuse installed now (for safety).

This console features a faceted, green power indicator on the front of the unit (visible in image #2 above) and a light blue "tuning eye" visible on the control face, to the right (image #4). The brightness and "height" of the tuning eye increases as the radio signal strength increases; a particularly fun feature.

In addition, the AM band features 2 small, triangular & circular indicators at 640 and 1240 kilohertz (visible above image). These were the locations of standard, civil defense broadcast stations (called CONELRAD: CONtrol of ELectronic RADiation) where a listener could tune in during an emergency for directions to a local fallout shelter. Sometimes, small letters "CD" (civil defense) can be found in place of the triangle & circle symbol. These station indicators were often identifiable on radio tuners from the early 1950's to the mid 1960's.

This console did not have a manufacture date printed on the body or label. The technician who overhauled it showed me how to date a radio by it's vacuum tubes. In the image above, the vacuum tubes show a code stamp of "62-35". The first number represents 1962 and the "35" represents the 35th week (September) of that year.

As far as what I am listening to these days:

1. Tammy Wynette - Take Me to Your World
2. Dave Brubeck Quartet - Time Out
3. Loretta Lynn - Greatest Hits Volume II
4. Frank Sinatra - Gold Album?

-AJ
Last edited by AJ Fisher on Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:07 pm, edited 6 times in total.

jesgord
Modern Master

Postby jesgord » Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:44 pm

A bit different from what has been shown here, but here's how I listen to my records.

RADIO/PHONOGRAPH RR 126
Achille and P.G.Castiglioni designers, 1965

wwilber
Modern Master

Re: MCM Record Consoles

Postby wwilber » Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:20 pm

classic form

Postby classic form » Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:55 am

Love the Castiglioni...

Slim and Gabby

Postby Slim and Gabby » Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:46 pm

AJ, Czech this out!

http://www.conelrad.com/index.php

As for dating a set by the markings on the tubes, you can't always trust this unless you know for absolute certain ALL the tubes are original. I'm sure that your set uses a few tubes that were designed in the 1940's, in which case, if there are any that are replaced by an older owner, they could be much older or newer; does this make sense? I hope I don't sound like a jerk here, that's not my intension at all.
P.S. I always liked your icon that you use, it's from Red Planet, is it not?
Slim

VMacek
Modern Socialite

Postby VMacek » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:37 pm

Some great looking hi-fis here...it looks like most of the posters here are in Southern California but I thought I'd ask anyway - anyone know a shop in the southeast (close to Atlanta as possible) that works on old tube stereos? I have a Telefunken Sonata (a dead ringer for one my family owned in 1965) that crapped out on me but sounded great when it was running.

I could deal with some distance - sounds like a good excuse for a roadtrip.

Slim and Gabby

Postby Slim and Gabby » Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:40 am

I must reiterate, join the ARF (Antique Radio Forum):

http://antiqueradios.com/forums/

I'm sure you can hook up with someone there; most of the people are very nice and always helpful!

Return to “Modern Collectibles and Furniture”