Thrift store find - chairs (and a cheap way to steam clean)

Show your stuff or ask questions about housewares, ephemera, books, artwork, furnishings.

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Tim Young
Modern Master
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Thrift store find - chairs (and a cheap way to steam clean)

Postby Tim Young » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:32 pm

I found a set of four of these at a thrift store for $12. I think they're pretty cool. There don't have any tags so I don't know anything about them. Today I cleaned them up and I think they turned out looking pretty good. I was going to rent a steam cleaner but did some searching on the internet and saw that some people were using a wet-dry vac to do the same job. So I mixed some hot warm water with a little bit of laundry soap in a spray bottle, sprayed it on, and vacuumed it up right away. It seems like that's all a steam cleaner does anyway. After that and a bit of vinyl cleaner I was pretty happy with them. Here's a before and after picture:

STLModern
Modern Master

Postby STLModern » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:40 pm

Tim, those do look cool and comfy! They look like they cleaned up real nice as well.

Tim Young
Modern Master

Postby Tim Young » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:20 pm

Thanks! I have them in our enclosed patio now. I'll take a picture and post it. It's pretty satisfying to save something from a thrift store and be able to make it work in the house.

I checked out your flickr photostream. You have a great house! I really like that low fence out front. Also liked your tour of Palm Springs houses. My wife and I were at modernism week and I recognized a few of them.

Return to “Modern Collectibles and Furniture”