Replacement cushions for an Eames Lounge Chair and Ottoman

Show your stuff or ask questions about housewares, ephemera, books, artwork, furnishings.

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, nichols, Java

Jerad
Modern Master

Replacement cushions for an Eames Lounge Chair and Ottoman

Postby Jerad » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:00 am

Found an Eames chair locally that is now in my hands. I need to track down replacement cushions or vintage ones. the chair is missing the bottom seat cushion and I'm missing the ottoman cushion. I have the upper two cushions and the armrest but they are very worn. Any advice would be appreciated.

classic form
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby classic form » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:36 am

There are some down filled ones up on ebay right now.

ch
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby ch » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:59 pm

Herman Miller still offers replacement parts depending on how old the chair is. I believe there was a change in the attaching clips somewhere along the way and I think they only offer the revamped attachment.

Also, Hume (in LA) offers replacement parts for various vintage Herman Miller chairs (but I think he may purchase from HM so you may want to go to them directly)

http://www.humemodern.com/

Jerad
Modern Master

Postby Jerad » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:40 am

Its been several months and I'm renewing my search for cushions. I'm looking into having the chair redone locally, possibly in a fabric. I know, I know it was meant to be leather but I'm ready to do something a little funky. So I'm looking now specifically for the backing for the chair seat cushion and the ottoman cushion hopefully with the clips still on them. Does anyone know of a set available. I would buy an entire set of cushions in poor shape if need be. Please let me know if anyone can help me track these pieces down.

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:06 pm

Well, if it is real, it is far too valuable to do anything but replace with the correct cushions. That said, the suggestion to contact HiveModern may still be a good one. They may have some worn/torn pieces they could sell you. Otherwise you must Craigslist nationwide until you get lucky.

Jerad
Modern Master

Postby Jerad » Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:31 pm

It certainly is original, a little dinged up and in need of some care. I'm going to need to spend some time on the wood to clean it up and refresh it. Its rosewood with the old style round clips. I understand the reason to replace with the right cushions. That said I'm looking for a cheaper option for the time being. I got a price from Hume Modern for a little over 2k for replacement cushions. I've also called Highbrow furniture and they are closer to 3k for the cushions.

I have found a site in the UK that sells replacement parts for the chair.
http://www.mancha.demon.co.uk/spares.html

I can buy the backing for the cushions and replacement snaps. I would really like to find someone similar stateside. I can get the pieces I need for a few hundred dollars and reuse/reupholster the ones I got with the chair.

Thanks for the tips.

ttblair
Modern Fan

Postby ttblair » Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:06 pm

I just picked up one of the older lounges on Craigslist and ordered the few parts I needed (buttons and round cushion clips) from the UK site yesterday.

Was told the parts should arrive in 5-10 days, and they seem to be the only game in town (planet) for most of the bits and pieces. It's a pretty low-tech ordering process, but the guy that runs it was quick to respond to my various questions.

If you like beige, there's a complete set of the down-filled cushions on Ebay right now for about $450.00 with shipping. They are naugahyde and in need of repair, but the issues all seem to be on the underside.

If sticking with the original cushions it has, there's an article on reconditioning the leather here:

http://www.jetsetmodern.com/issue5/carefeeding.htm

I just went through this exercise yesterday, and it did a good job. ...that and some Feed-N-Wax for the wood really made an improvement- though it wasn't in bad shape, just a little dull and dry.

cattell93
Modern Groupie

Re: Replacement cushions for an Eames Lounge Chair and Ottoman

Postby cattell93 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:52 am

Hello,

I am looking for a lounge chair for my office's cabin but I have only found old designs. I want to buy the latest designer and stylish lounge chair. So is there anyone who can suggest me from where I should buy it at an affordable price.

amited65
Modern Groupie

Postby amited65 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:28 am

Great furniture is costly and now and again, you are paying for more than brand, structure or braggart intrigue. we have a similar proposal for you, One of the best places to get astounding Polyether Foam is Togo Sofa. This entryway has a broad scope of coach seats to get together your need.

william1809
Modern Groupie

Postby william1809 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:46 am

Hello,

I went to my relative's home and there i saw a lounge chair and at that movement i felt that this is the real comfort then i seated on the chair ,the chair was really comfortable then i decided to buy the lounge chair .I cant ask with my relative So please suggest me where can i find the best lounge chair and the chair would really comfortable and good for health for long time or not ? If anyone knows please share your experience. Please help me with the best.
Thankyou!

Return to “Modern Collectibles and Furniture”