Air Raid Sirens

Show your stuff or ask questions about housewares, ephemera, books, artwork, furnishings.

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Slim and Gabby
Special Secret Modern Agent

Air Raid Sirens

Postby Slim and Gabby » Thu May 21, 2009 9:34 am

Air raid sirens: what would mid century life be without hearing one of these, but more likely a smaller one:

http://www.victorysiren.com/x/main.htm

The Chrysler Victory is the most-biggest-baddest one ever made at 138-Db.; you could have heard it from five miles away. It was powered by a 180-Hp, Chrysler-Hemi; mmmmmm, POWER!
Truth be told, the whole world would be a much better place if there wasn't/isn't a need for them, but things being what they are/were... Unfortunately, most cities don't use or test the ones they have, because people don't want to be bothered by the noise, it's too disturbing to them, but I won't go into that.
The one I remember from growing up was tiny in comparison, it looked like a Christmas-tree, green even, sitting on a 30-foot pole near the creek, about 1/4-mile from my house. Every month it was tested; the sound was haunting, yet fascinating, and still is.
Dose anyone else have any stories/memories of these?
For further Cold War wackiness, visit this site:

http://www.conelrad.com/index.php

Slim
Pen-gu-ins is pracatically chickinz, and I hates to see chickinz cry so much, I has to put’em outta ther mizzery!

jakabedy
Modern Master
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby jakabedy » Thu May 21, 2009 2:55 pm

Well, the sirens are still around. But now they alert us to tornadoes and serious storms rather than the red menace. They are usually tested at 10am on Wednesdays, so everyone knows not to panic when they hear them at that time. As a resident of tornado alley, I love the sirens.

1920s Bungalow Gal turned MCM Maven

My Blog: http://magiccitymodern.blogspot.com/

wwilber
Modern Master

Postby wwilber » Thu May 21, 2009 6:54 pm

It is also always a good reminder that it is 10 am on whatever day they are tested - I think its Tuesdays here in St. Louis. It was always the first Monday of the month in my hometown in Illinois. Certainly a sound you can't mistake or forget.
My neighborhood:

Tim Young
Modern Master

Postby Tim Young » Thu May 21, 2009 11:07 pm

I don't have any memory of air raid sirens, because I'm a bit too young, but my house does have a bomb shelter. After we bought it I went down and found old packages of powdered milk and the like. There's a little hand crank to circulate the air. Spooky.

babyblue65bird
Modern Master

Postby babyblue65bird » Thu May 21, 2009 11:13 pm

Wow...one of my earliest memories is being in the parking lot of the Riviera Theater in Coral Gables Florida, behind the Swensen's restaurant, when the (what I now know to be a) Chrysler air-raid siren fired up for a test. It was slowly turning on a platform. That had to be in 1975 or so. It was still up there when I moved to California in 1999, and I'm a little sad to see that it is gone.
Where are we going & what are we doing in this handbasket?

Slim and Gabby
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby Slim and Gabby » Fri May 22, 2009 9:32 am

Tim, you have a fallout shelter! Well, I bet it ain’t very good, an’ e’ery thing I e’er said about you I take back, an’ plus what, I bet my da could beat up yer dad, ‘cuz he’s big as Frankenstein! I’m so jealous, grrrrrrr! (just messin'with ya Hoss!)
Back in the 1970’s, my brother worked at the County Fair, he and his buddies broke into the fallout shelter, and brought home all sorts of goodies. He said it hadn’t been opened since the 1950’s! That’s one of those urban-archeology fantasies I’ve always wanted to have!
A few years back, Gabby and I were invited to go up to Almaden Air Force Station, now decommissioned, which sits on top of Mount Umunhum: from San Jose, you can see a five story obelisk, up until 1980, it had a massive array (an antenna about six stories wide) that would rotate. It was spooky. There’s all kinds of stuff up there, a gym, a one lane bowling alley, a swimming pool, all very creepy and totally BOSS! If it weren’t for the rest of the people with us, it would have more so, like stepping into an episode of The Twilight Zone, or one of those end of the world movies.

Check it out:

http://www.radomes.org/museum/recent/AlmadenAFSCA.html

Apparently, when the array was activated for the first time, anyone in Santa Clara County with an electric garage door opener, had the surprise of having their garage opened from the signal transmitted! You could always tell when your house was being swept over, because you’d hear a fuzzy pip on your TV and radio. During Christmas they’d hang lights on big building in the shape of a star.
Slim
Pen-gu-ins is pracatically chickinz, and I hates to see chickinz cry so much, I has to put’em outta ther mizzery!

merritt
Modern Socialite

Postby merritt » Fri May 22, 2009 10:17 pm

I grew up in the Washington DC suburbs. During the Golf War in the early 90s we had air raid drills. We had to watch the old videos too, duck and cover! I will never forget the sound of the sirens.

Return to “Modern Collectibles and Furniture”