Mid Century Musical Instruments/Equipment

Show your stuff or ask questions about housewares, ephemera, books, artwork, furnishings.

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Butt-Face
Modern Socialite

Mid Century Musical Instruments/Equipment

Postby Butt-Face » Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:21 pm

Any musicians out here? I want to see YOUR vintage(OR VINTAGE INSPIRED) players (anything really, accordians, toys? recorders, axes, mandolin, amps, banjos, basses, uprights, reed organs, combo organs)
I'll post what little I have in a bit. My latest craze is 60's japanese guitars.

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:56 pm

that's a cool amp!

Butt-Face
Modern Socialite

Postby Butt-Face » Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:43 pm

classic form
Special Secret Modern Agent
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby classic form » Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:34 am

Nice collection...I've had many guitars and amps over the years but have dwindled it down to a handful. I really like the off the wall stuff but currently don't have anything cool. I recently sold off 3 or so fiberglas supra guitars...may be able to dig up a couple of pics of some of the old stuff.

Here is whats left: 65 sunburst, 65 Jag and a 69 competition mustang. I don't have any Gibsons left but am feeling guilty living here in Kalamazoo without at least one.

Butt-Face
Modern Socialite

Postby Butt-Face » Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:46 am

.....none of those are mine...theyre just example pictures...

You've still got some nice stuff there.

Slim and Gabby

Oh, that VOX brings back some memories....

Postby Slim and Gabby » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:21 am

BF-
Those are some pretty cool picks. I lived above an infamous vintage guitar store in college. I have had the pleasure of working with a lot a lot of weird old stuff. And there are a few guitar riffs i NEVER need to hear again. I'm sorry I ever let the Vox Continental go, ditto for the old Farfisa organ. Never has anyone created a sound like that.

Slim got me a swell old Mother o terlet accordian for Xmas a few years back. I don't really have time to master it, but I kinda like the way it sounds when played poorly...completely terrifying. Ditto for the theramin he made for me last year. Someday we'll get the garage spiffed into a proper jam pad and then mebbe...

I'm including a link to a very old friend who builds completely insane custom vintage guitars. He also plays a mean surf sound. If this is what you like, I think you'll be into his stuff...

http://www.myspace.com/ronniesargentkustomguitars

If you are in the Bay Area or Sac, you should check out his band. I guarantee you weirdness of the highest order.

Cheers...
Gabby
Pen-gu-ins is pracatically chickinz, and I hates to see chickinz cry so much, I has to put’em outta ther mizzery!

Butt-Face
Modern Socialite

Postby Butt-Face » Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:44 pm

At first sight I had not the slightest idea that that guitar was made from a toilet seat. crazzzzzzzie.
That stuff on his myspizzle is pretty insane. It think I saw a craigslist posting from him a while back and was then too amazed. I'll be sure to check out his band.

Slim and Gabby

Postby Slim and Gabby » Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:49 pm

Pen-gu-ins is pracatically chickinz, and I hates to see chickinz cry so much, I has to put’em outta ther mizzery!

Butt-Face
Modern Socialite

Postby Butt-Face » Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:05 am

I dig the axe. i dig the concept.

I came across one of those in a local music shop and I was like,
"oh coooool, whats that?"
and they was like,
"thats a late 60's vox organ guitar"
and I was like,
"oh, cooooooool"
and they was like,
"Yeeeeeeah, but its not worth the $5000 I paid for it, its going on ebay next month"

Roger Thornhill
Modern Master

Postby Roger Thornhill » Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:09 am

Great thread, everyone. I'm really digging all the photos.

Classic Form, thanks a million for that room pic. So cool! What receiver is that on the table? Any chance for a close-up? I really love vintage stereo equipment.
"And darkness, as darkness does, fell."

Catman
Modern Socialite

Postby Catman » Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:06 pm

Here is my music stuff.

I am a Gretsch maniac (one is missing):
[img][img]http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n84/mirolavoie/Guitares/guit20003.jpg[/img]

My Other guitars:
[/img]Image

My amp, a 1963 Showman with a Roland 201 tape echo:
[img][img]http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n84/mirolavoie/Ampli/Showman3.jpg[/img]

I also have a 1965 Fender Bassman with 1964 cabinet, 2007 Fender Supersonic, Fender Pro Junior and a 1969 Fender reverb chamber.

1962 Dynacord echocord:
[/img]Image

Roland RE-201:
[img][img]http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n84/mirolavoie/Tape%20Echo/Roland201-6.jpg[/img]

Fulltone TTE:
[/img]Image

jakabedy
Modern Master

Postby jakabedy » Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:05 pm

1920s Bungalow Gal turned MCM Maven

My Blog: http://magiccitymodern.blogspot.com/

classic form

Postby classic form » Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:42 am

Catman
Modern Socialite

Postby Catman » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:34 am

Thanks classic form,

Echo machine, what a great invention.
I love 'em all but for noiseless operation the Fulltone TTE is the way to go.
Real tape and tube (12ax7). I remember when I first try my Dynacord in 1983, it was just like Scotty Moore !!!!!! I really like the Roland re-201 simple dial-in echo selector, very easy to operate.

I made a research about your Fender Vibratone. Very interesting piece of gear. How do you like it? Dig your music room.

Me and my gear in action:

Butt-Face
Modern Socialite

Postby Butt-Face » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:29 am

Cool stuff Catman.
I LUV Gretsches, though the only Gretsch i have is an upgraded 5120...probably a mere toy to you.

Catman
Modern Socialite

Postby Catman » Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:27 pm

Not at all.
These are great Gretsch for the price.
You can also upgrade with TVJones p/u with the English mount.
Check at http://www.tvjones.com/tech_specs/techspecs.html
It says the instruction for the mod is coming soon. Worth the check.
TV's are the way to go.
Have fun.
8-)

classic form

Postby classic form » Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:55 pm

Now THAT looks like fun:) Horns a blazin'...must be fun to sit on top of.

I love the Vibratone, I can get a pretty good B3 as long as my wrist holds out. Two speeds only but if you play around you can build by switching between them. It really fills the room when playing with a foursome.

Gretsch and Echos...classic. I've only had a Tennesean in my life but had a hard time playing it. I believe it was a '67, if I remember right the neck width at the nut was a little small for me.

Butt-Face
Modern Socialite

Postby Butt-Face » Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:01 pm

Catman
Modern Socialite

Postby Catman » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:13 pm

classic form

Postby classic form » Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:31 am

Sorry, no pics and no mp3's. I owned the guitar before the days of digital, sure was a nice one though...9-10 condition, original case sounded great, I just couldn't get used to the neck. Now that I think about it the neck was also very round, like a baseball bat cut in half:) Love the look and the sound however. If you want an example of what a vibratone sounds like find some Robin Trower, Lonnie Mack or better yet "Coldshot" by SRV.

I use it mostly on slow speed as opposed to the way you'll hear it on Coldshot. I just use it to fill the sound a bit. It's the only effect I use.

Slim and Gabby

Postby Slim and Gabby » Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:57 pm

Just in case it doesn't stick:
http://www.vinniebell.com/

Return to “Modern Collectibles and Furniture”