Does this '50s sculpted upholstery fabric have a name?

Show your stuff or ask questions about housewares, ephemera, books, artwork, furnishings.

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
likekittysville
Modern Groupie
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Does this '50s sculpted upholstery fabric have a name?

Postby likekittysville » Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:48 pm

This fabric was quite common for upholstered chairs and sofas in the 1950s (maybe also late '40s and early '60s). I've seen different sculpted patterns, and colors from green to mauve. The photo here shows brand new pink-brown yardage I found at an estate sale. It has a slick cool satiny feel, though technically it's like boucle.

I'd love to find out the correct name of this type of fabric as well as its history. Can anyone supply some helpful keywords for my online search? Thank you!

Magster
Modern Groupie

Re: Does this '50s sculpted upholstery fabric have a name?

Postby Magster » Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:20 pm

"...the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing..." JK

Hipster Haven
Modern Fan

Frieze

Postby Hipster Haven » Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:13 pm

seniors094ever
Modern Socialite

Postby seniors094ever » Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:38 pm

When looking this kinda fabric up on ebay, i usually search "Nubbly fabric."

Return to “Modern Collectibles and Furniture”