Starting from ZILCH

Show your stuff or ask questions about housewares, ephemera, books, artwork, furnishings.

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Becky P
Modern Fan
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Starting from ZILCH

Postby Becky P » Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:28 am

Hey everyone - new here, enjoying reading oodles of old posts.

I am a brand-spankin' new MCM fan. Up until last week, I was mostly an 1800's antiquey kinda gal (because I inherited a few) and occasionally picked up the odd item here and there which a friend of mine once aptly termed "Kountry Krap".

Then I bought the summer copy of Atomic Ranch magazine on a whim. And fell head over heels crazy in LOVE. I am scouring the 'net, buying books, and just can't get enough. There's just one small problem.

I don't have ONE thing in my home that could be described as anywhere close to MCM-ish. Nothing. Nada. Zilch. And it's starting to hurt a little. :wink:

So my question is, when you got bit by the bug, what was the first thing you got for yourself to satisfy that modern urge? What would you start looking for if you were me, that would give you the most bang for your buck? We are currently living in a 3BR apartment, so painting and flooring are out, but furniture like chairs and small tables are very doable, as would be any artwork, pottery, dishes, etc.

I'm going to talk my husband into heading to the Goodwill and maybe some yard/garage sales tomorrow and Saturday to start scouting. He's totally on the bandwagon; he loves a clean, uncluttered look so the poor man is probably thinking "it's about time!"

You guys are a great community loaded with wonderful info for a newbie - thanks!

Becky

Perks
Most Illustrious Grand Member

Postby Perks » Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:50 am

I started small. I love clocks, so I started there, but then moved on to light fixtures, accent pieces, etc. Easy way to get the look without spending wads of cash and having to haul big things around.

I still don't have much modern stuff in the way of major furnishings, since most of our stuff was nearly new when I got into modernism and I've not had the funds to get quite that far yet (I decided I had to have the mid-mod house first!). As things wear out, they will be replaced with better stuff.

You're probably in the best position to know best what goes with what you already have. Take your time and get what you think will reflect your tastes best, and it'll come together.
Andy Perkins, Broker/Owner

scowsa
Modern Guru

Postby scowsa » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:53 am

Welcome to the new (to you) world of MCM.

In terms of furniture, before thrift shopping I would spend some time on the Web educating yourself on what types of pieces are out there. As you will see, while there are names like Eames and George Nelson, and their various lookalikes, there is also a lot of "non-named" stuff that can found at good prices, both in secondhand and thrift stores and in ones that specialize in MCM.

The most obvious "statement piece" that can give a room an MCM stamp is a credenza or sideboard. Here's a couple from a site we check often:

(Note to anyone viewing this later, these links may have become inactive given they are For Sale items.)

Add some MCM ceramic items on the top and you increase that "stamp." If you cannot find pieces like these in your area and/or at your price point, then consider a coffee table, such as in this style

These images came from these sites

While shopping sites, for a newbie they can be a good educational resource on MCM style. Hopefully you can find some TX sites and stores.
scowsa

Becky P
Modern Fan

Postby Becky P » Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:00 pm

I found a great reference (and dream book) today while at Books A Million...the Taschen "Decorative Art - 50's", for only $15. It's a veritable MCM furniture dictionary! Fun stuff. Thanks for the advice, and a credenza is definitely at the top of my wish list. Of course now that I've been bitten by the bug, I'm remembering all the great MCM stuff that was in relatives' houses when I was growing up, now all long gone... ::::sigh::::

Becky

greenmod
Modern Socialite

Postby greenmod » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:13 am

I love kitchen items. I use them daily and love the fact they've been in use for 50 years and still going strong.

Estate sales are great, especially in MCM or ranch neighborhoods. People that were at their height of house furnishings buying in their thirties are now in their 80s. I've gotten most of my items at estate sales and most of it dirt cheap from kids that have no idea it is worth anything since it isn't antique. I paid $5 for a grete jalk chair and my mom got a mint condition Hans Wegner chair for $15.

Part of the fun is the hunt - enjoy!
Allison

dilettante

Postby dilettante » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:59 am

Slim and Gabby
Special Secret Modern Agent

Echoing the kitchen comments....

Postby Slim and Gabby » Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:34 pm

I've always been an inveterate junque lady of ill repute, so have amassed a fair amount of mid century stuff on my own. Mostly for the kitchen though. Before meeting slim, my things ran to the 30's overstuffed and sort of gothic in combo.

Somehow Slim's MCM furniture just suited both of us better than my Mission and overstuffed things. Then when we found our 1960 house, it got outta control.

From what you say, you'll have NO trouble playing catchup.

My plan is to re-do the garage as a sort of lodge hangout with my cushy old stuff. Even the old dishes for the bar service out there. We want it to look like the odd fellows or elks put together with cast offs.

Have fun. You'll find plenty of orphans AND irresistable good stuff.
Pen-gu-ins is pracatically chickinz, and I hates to see chickinz cry so much, I has to put’em outta ther mizzery!

seniors094ever
Modern Socialite

Postby seniors094ever » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:21 am

If your starting small, i would start with either mcm pottery(bauer,california pottery,etc.) or try to find some good MCM artwork.

Carlo is one of the best artists, rare and somewhat expensive...but really one of the best in my opinion.(check ebay.)

Check out Atomicwarehouse.com for some good ideas, or if your looking for some REALLY good ideas, i would buy one of the Armstrong linolium books. I have one called "Inspiring 1950s interiors" that's fantastic.

The other people who suggested lighting and kitchen stuff are spot on as well. I'd go for swags, or anything involving fiberglass. ahha. In my opinion, the top of the line kitsch would be a MOSS lamp. Really really wild.

Anyways! Enjoy yourself! The deals arent to be found on the internet(most of the time) so get out there and LOOK!

-Luke.

Return to “Modern Collectibles and Furniture”