Anybody know a good place to restore modern furniture???

Show your stuff or ask questions about housewares, ephemera, books, artwork, furnishings.

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, nichols, Java

retrocool
Modern Master

Anybody know a good place to restore modern furniture???

Postby retrocool » Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:07 am

Hi everyone,

I just came across some really cool fabric/wood modern chairs. However, they are in need of restoration. Any ideas on where to go. I'm in Downey so anyplace around LA/OC would be great.

Thanks
Member Downey Historical Society,
President - The Downey Conservancy
Aerospace Legacy Foundation Board Member
President - Downey Museum of Art

Slim and Gabby
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby Slim and Gabby » Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:57 pm

You may not want to hear this, but why don't you do them yourself? AAAAAAhhhhhh! It ain't so bad once you just try it. Most people are way too terrified to do their own work, but if you take photos, notes, and mental notes, you can do work like this:
I did both these chairs, as well as all the furniture in my house. How did I do it? I watched my mom do it, and she only did it because she had to: we were too !@#$%!!! poor to buy new furniture, so we had 1950's furniture when it wasn't cool. Now my mom's furniture is super collectible, but I always liked it, even when people laughed at it.
Most of the people who work in upholstery just decided one day to "F-it" and do it themselves.
If you have questions, PM me. No, I'm not a professional, I'm just too cheap to pay someone when I can do almost as good as they can. You can get book on it too!
Slim
Pen-gu-ins is pracatically chickinz, and I hates to see chickinz cry so much, I has to put’em outta ther mizzery!

retrocool
Modern Master

Thanks

Postby retrocool » Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:29 pm

Thanks for the info., I know I could do the wood finish, but any idea where to get the vintage fabrics?

Retrocool
Member Downey Historical Society,

President - The Downey Conservancy

Aerospace Legacy Foundation Board Member

President - Downey Museum of Art

Slim and Gabby
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby Slim and Gabby » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:46 pm

That depends on what you mean? Do you want something that looks authentic, or do you want something fun with boomerangs, and star-bursts and that ilk? Vintage, or retro, there's a big difference! I think for either you should look in your yellow pages for upholstery shops. For retro, you can find samples on-line, something like this:

http://www.jandofabrics.com/products.asp?id=92

A word of advice though, look for subdued colors in a print. Just because you think something looks totally boss, as a sample, like paint, once you get it in with the rest of your furniture, you might find yourself thinking WTF was I thinking. Make sure the colors on the print harmonize with most of the colors in your room:

Another thing to think about is, if it's too fun, it might be thought of as too juvenile looking. Remember, you're trying to make lasting statement in purchasing something you're investing your time in money in, and not a passing fad. Sometimes I see people with furniture the equivalent of Milly Vanilly...
It looks super cool for a while, and then one day it looks like a laps in rational all thinking...then you have to redo it all over again!
Look for something with lasting power, like Les Paul & Mary Ford:
Slim
Pen-gu-ins is pracatically chickinz, and I hates to see chickinz cry so much, I has to put’em outta ther mizzery!

Return to “Modern Collectibles and Furniture”