Restoring MCM Furniture

Show your stuff or ask questions about housewares, ephemera, books, artwork, furnishings.

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, nichols, Java

Slim and Gabby
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby Slim and Gabby » Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:19 pm

So you lose an eye, gees, you have two!
I like to hold things in a vice grips when I'm polishing, and one of these is always good too:
Nearly any part of your body can get hit and you're still kinda okay, but not your eyes, and getting hit in the face can leave a nasty scar. So if you don't want a "dueling" scar like colonel Klink,Image cover your WHOLE face!
Slim
Pen-gu-ins is pracatically chickinz, and I hates to see chickinz cry so much, I has to put’em outta ther mizzery!

Nick32vic
Modern Fan

Postby Nick32vic » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:11 pm

-Nick

Tim Young
Modern Master
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Tim Young » Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:52 pm

Good advice guys. Will do.

Slim and Gabby

Postby Slim and Gabby » Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:20 pm

Hey Tim! see if'n yous kin find a kopy of dis:

http://theinvisibleagent.wordpress.com/ ... book-1957/

I think this is just what you need, it's super he-man too! Your wife and kids will think you're Ward Cleaver or something!
Slim
Pen-gu-ins is pracatically chickinz, and I hates to see chickinz cry so much, I has to put’em outta ther mizzery!

Tim Young
Modern Master
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Tim Young » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:26 pm

Wow. How cool is that. Looks like I'll need a pipe too!

Slim and Gabby

Postby Slim and Gabby » Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:08 am

I was looking at my copy the other night, at the section on finishing, and there were some super boss ones. So I thinks to myself, self, you should tell Tim about this. There's some other great sections too, but it shows how to bleach wood, and do finishes like "white-grain oak": you know like black wood with a white grain! That's the finish you see and start to drool on yourself, like these:

http://www.aubreygreen.co.uk/colours.html#

There's also a section on storage, and making your own furniture. The glossary is kinda cool too, you can sit around with your pipe and glass of PBR and impress your neighbors with your manly vocabulary...

Slim

Uncle Atom
Modern Groupie

Postby Uncle Atom » Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:42 pm

Collecting refinishing tips in one thread is a great idea, and the examples here look really good. Has anyone been able to revive laminate furniture?

Some of the blonde or pickled oak furnitures of the era were laminates. I'm trying to revive this dining room table, but it's tricky because it's got wear along many edges of the legs.

I had a furniture refinisher look at it but he wouldn't touch it because it was laminate. So, I'm experimenting with a light wood filler to try and repair the worst areas. If that works I'll try some light stain to try and get a color match.
Visit my Uncle Atom blog
http://atomicuncle.blogspot.com/

Slim and Gabby

Postby Slim and Gabby » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:08 am

Can you please post a tight close up of the area in question?
Thanks,
Slim

Uncle Atom
Modern Groupie

Postby Uncle Atom » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:58 am

Here's an example of how the edges of the table legs are worn down.
Image Image

Actually, the legs do not look like they're laminate. The table top has similar edge wear, but there also are deep scratches and scrapes in the top and the side edges of the top. Here's a shot of the side of the top:

My goal for now is to get the legs looking decent. The table came with it's original pads for the top, so we can always keep the top covered with the pads and a table cloth.
Visit my Uncle Atom blog

Slim and Gabby

Postby Slim and Gabby » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:54 am

Roger that! What I've seen done, and I do myself is build up the area with wood filler, and do a faux-finish. If it's just a small area, it shouldn't be too hard. Go to the hobby shop, or toy store, and get some model airplane paints. Get both gloss and flat colors; you'll want a pearl finish, maybe semigloss, or something in-between... Do some experimenting on a piece of pine, or better yet, scrap oak; looks like oak to me. Get several sizes of brushes, especially fine ones for redoing the grain; remember, you're just faking the grain, so you might end up doing a larger area than what you've started with. You'll want to blend the colors fading slowly as you work your way out from the affected area. Step one, start with a blanket color: just that creamy color. Don't expect it to match perfectly! Let this cure for at least a week, you don't want to reactivate your colors for step two. Step two, mix something close to the grain color, paint on and squeegee it of. This will leave paint in the pores, but remove the color from the surface area.. If you do any sanding, get the dust out of the pores before you start. Step three, faux-finish where needed, areas with wood filler that no longer has grain. Step five: try to forget that you ever did anything to it, only you'll know where to look! (This last part works best with the old fire arms that I've redone.)
Any more questions?
Slim

Uncle Atom
Modern Groupie

Postby Uncle Atom » Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:28 pm

Nope,no further questions for now. Thanks Slim, it helps to have someone who has done it describe the steps. That should save me some "learning by doing" time. I'll post updates when I get further along.
Visit my Uncle Atom blog

blissing
Modern Groupie

I Just Bought This Table

Postby blissing » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:16 pm

It's a Conant Ball gate-leg with 3 extensions. I'm wondering if I can salvage it, though. Structurally, it's fine. Here are some pics:

This shows the legs, with an average amount of scuffing, but the top is another matter:

The contrast here is higher--it doesn't really look this bad. Here's another showing the dark, filled in gouges, along with a long one the seller tried to touch up:

So, maybe I'm asking the obvious, but does this need to be completely redone? If so, is it better to sand or use a chemical stripper? Then do I re-stain and seal? Thanks in advance, I've only ever used Restor-a-Finish on a craigslist find!

Slim and Gabby

Postby Slim and Gabby » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:18 pm

If it was mine, I'd first use a chemical stripper, then sand it. You'll probably want to strip the entire thing so you get a uniform color when you refinish it. I would get it pretty smooth too, then if there are any gouges and ding/dents, use some hot water applied with a small paintbrush, do this at lest three times: what you are trying to do is lift/reactivate the grain. Use really hot water, if not boiling: hot water is more readily absorbed than cold. Use a small brush to just put it on the damaged area, otherwise you may lift the grain outside the area which is what you are trying to avoid. I'm guessing the original CB finish is at least a two or three stage process, it could be difficult to replicate. It looks to me like the grain is filled with a color and then then an opaque finish put over that.
Slim

blissing
Modern Groupie

Postby blissing » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:14 am

Slim and Gabby

Postby Slim and Gabby » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:20 pm

It looks like oak to me, but you'll have to make your own custom color. Find something close, and ad pigment to it. I see at least white in there, making it look milky, but you'll need to play with it, like adding beige. Get a bunch of wood scraps and play. Start with pine, to get a ball-park color, then use oak, or what ever you figure out it's made of. It may be stained giving the grain its color, and then it has a color put over that, giving it that opaque look.
Slim

Slim and Gabby

Postby Slim and Gabby » Sun May 09, 2010 3:51 pm

Tim, okay, I finally posted the images of my working on the B-29. Just to prove I'm not full of s**t, here ya go!
Here's me in a B-24:
Here's me with my friend Kim with our first $20 from the sale of T-shirts and aprons to help finance the project:
The crummy part is I NEVER got a thank you from Castle Air Museum, well @#$%&%$#@ them!
Slim

Tim Young
Modern Master

Postby Tim Young » Mon May 10, 2010 12:30 am

Very cool Slim! I can see why you'd need to use some toxic stuff on that bad boy. Turned out great!

Here's an update on my projects. We ended up getting a new set for our living room and that original coffee table didn't match, so I sold it on craigslist. I never put the bedroom set in my son's room because I was too worried that he'd beat it up. He's now 2 and has turned into a pretty rough little guy. Right now he has a black eye from running into a table to prove it. Instead I went out and bought a 68 Chevy flare side truck bed that I plan to turn into a bed for him. He loves trucks. Here's a picture. I just bought the bed, not the whole truck:

Return to “Modern Collectibles and Furniture”