Help ID these patio chairs?

Show your stuff or ask questions about housewares, ephemera, books, artwork, furnishings.

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, nichols, Java

Cochise
Modern Groupie

Help ID these patio chairs?

Postby Cochise » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:47 pm

Hi All,
I've been lurking and finally signed up hoping to tap the knowledge banks here for help in figuring out maker or any info on a couple of chair mysteries.

The first are these beachy lounge numbers, partial chrome partially powder coated. My guess is French but who knows...could be some guy in his garage. They're very groovy and thought you all might get a kick out of them.

The others are these smaller, kid sized Bertoia-ish jobbers. I've never seen ones with the extra bracing (and they are "original, not added later). I've been told they might be proto-types but thought I'd see if anyone had run across any elsewhere.

Thanks!

scowsa
Modern Guru

Postby scowsa » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:09 pm

Can't help with the first chairs but can say that the Bertoia-ish look more like the Eames Wire Chair seat on a different base. The Eames chair is a rounded curve at the seat edge and seat back, just like yours, but the Bertioa seat edge and back flare out slightly to corners with a quarter-round.

As to the base, who knows but I would be surprised if it was an Eames prototype given how documented their work is. That four legged base is on a lot of chairs and Modernica offers it in their build-a-chair range, calling it the Case Study H-Base
[url]http://modernica.net/image.php?object_type=detailed&image_id=171&window=popup[url][/url]
scowsa

Cochise
Modern Groupie

Postby Cochise » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:32 pm

Thanks Scowsa, of course you're right about the shape and the base. I don't know if the photos really show it but the aging on them is pretty appropriate with fifty+ years worth of sitting in a back yard. Maybe a dad from the factory added the braces on his own before he brought them home for the kids knowing the wear and tear they were in for. :wink:

Miguel
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby Miguel » Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:44 pm

The top chairs seem to be a twist on the Erwine and Estelle Laverne's Swan chair (shown below in fiberglass, but there is also a wire and cane version):

The Eames chair shown at the bottom is not a prototype, but a typical wire chair with an H base. It's much more common to see these with the Eiffel base, but they can take any of the other bases the Eames designed for this series (except the wide-mount school contract base).

wwilber
Modern Master

Postby wwilber » Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:05 pm

Came across this photo in a Better Homes & Gardens decorating idea book from 1960. It shows your chair, but doesn't identify it. Sorry it isn't much help!

My neighborhood:

Cochise
Modern Groupie

Postby Cochise » Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:33 pm

Wow, great, at least that helps me date them.
Much appreciated!

wwilber
Modern Master

Postby wwilber » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:33 pm

A random search for something else turned up a possible id for your chairs. Check it out here in case, by now, you haven't already figured something out!
My neighborhood:

Cochise
Modern Groupie

Postby Cochise » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:34 pm

That's them!
Thanks so much!

Return to “Modern Collectibles and Furniture”