I want Paul Krugman's couch. Can you help me find it?

Show your stuff or ask questions about housewares, ephemera, books, artwork, furnishings.

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, nichols, Java

kingzorn
Modern Groupie

I want Paul Krugman's couch. Can you help me find it?

Postby kingzorn » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:13 pm

A recent article in New Yorker magazine featured a profile of economist Paul Krugman. "THE DEFLATIONIST: How Paul Krugman found politics."

The article contained a portrait of Paul and his wife at home standing in front of a beautiful MCM looking couch. Does anyone have any idea of what kind of a couch this is? Two unique features to me are :

1. The wood line at the bottom.
2. The gap between the horizontal cushions and the rear vertical cushions.

Here's the image: Image

Thanks!

Slim and Gabby
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby Slim and Gabby » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:50 pm

I may be imagining it, but I seem to recall a couch like that in the movie Forbidden Planet; I looked and can't find an image sorry! People always talk about the Jetson's house, forget that, I want a house that look like Dr. Morbius's...

Slim
Pen-gu-ins is pracatically chickinz, and I hates to see chickinz cry so much, I has to put’em outta ther mizzery!

lefreak79
Modern Groupie

P. K.'S COUCH

Postby lefreak79 » Mon May 17, 2010 10:54 am

Hi,

This sofa is Knoll/Drake, around 1958. It was a collaboration between Knoll International and Drake. The line was short-lived but well-designed and very interesting. I had the same sofa years ago. One sold a few years ago on Ebay for around $900 in beautiful original condition. Thanks.

AL IN LA

lefreak79
Modern Groupie

PAUL KRUGMAN SOFA

Postby lefreak79 » Mon May 17, 2010 10:57 am

Hi Again,

The furniture line always had white enameled metal bases, just like the sofa pictured. This sofa had a walnut seat base with metal springs. The back was separate from the seat and "floated" and attached to the three legs that went under the seat and came up in the back. Good luck in finding another one! It's a hard one to find.

AL IN LA

kingzorn
Modern Groupie

Postby kingzorn » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:15 pm

Wow, time goes by fast! Thank you Al in LA for identifying the mysterious sofa!!

We've been looking at sofas again, and we still circle back this design. Per your comments we found this series of photos:

http://mcmfurniture.1stdibs.com/store/f ... ?id=566668

It looks to me like the Krugman sofa is very much a Knoll/Drake Ladaslave Rado. It also appears that in reupholstering, the upper section lost a small amount on the bottom edge, making the gap between the back support and the bottom cushions more visible.

King Zorn (King crimson john Zorn fan)

Return to “Modern Collectibles and Furniture”