my $ 0.50 stool

Show your stuff or ask questions about housewares, ephemera, books, artwork, furnishings.

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, nichols, Java

dani
Modern Master

my $ 0.50 stool

Postby dani » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:05 pm

Well I picked up this stool for fifty cents today at a garage sale... I new it was not the original color it was to "poofy" I guess it was more of a "I wonder whats under there" kind of thing. but after I got it home it works wonderful in the entry as a place to put on shoes. So I will have to get it recovered....

HERE are the "colors" thats right plural!!!!

BLACK or is it?

Nice GREEN perhaps?

NOPE white :)

Well now that I love it, it needs to be redone, legs stripped of poly, sanded and re surfaced.... what color/fabric would you chose?? The white blends in too much. You can kinda see it :)

Slim and Gabby
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby Slim and Gabby » Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:49 am

Dani, this is just my humble opinion, but I'd leave the button off; it doesn't look right aesthetically, not for the period you're trying to go for, and make it one piece on top, that's 1970's, not 50's. They also make, as you may have noticed, your panels split.
Are you going to use this as an ottoman? If you are, keep it vinyl, easier to keep clean. It's a cute piece, so you might want to chose a bright color to make it stand out:

yes, you could do black, but EVERYONE uses that as a default; be BOLD, if you study the old modern-design books, it was all about color and contrast:

That's just my opinion,
Slim
Pen-gu-ins is pracatically chickinz, and I hates to see chickinz cry so much, I has to put’em outta ther mizzery!

dani
Modern Master

Postby dani » Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:11 pm

Tim Young
Modern Master

Postby Tim Young » Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:49 pm

Slim, love your pictures. Is it just me, or does the piano look terrible in that first one?

Also like the asbestos tile ad. Easy to clean! Causes cancer! I really do like how they look, though.

Dani, how about if you matched the color of your door? Something like this:

dani
Modern Master

Postby dani » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:59 am

Slim and Gabby

Postby Slim and Gabby » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:17 pm

Tim, yeah, but whatchagunndo 'bout a pinnanno?
As for the asbestos, it's not as bad as everyone likes to think it is--really! As long as you keep your tiles up, they'll last for decades, and will outlast modern products easily; the asbestos is in suspension, so it ain't goin' nowheres, see? I grew up in a house using a lot of it, and except for an effed-up back, my doctor tells me I'm in better shape than most people!
I think the little stool should be a contrast-color, that way it stands out; yes it looks good in orange, but your eye is less likely to see/notice it from the outside if it's, for lack of a better word, monochromatic; the pallet is gray and orange, right? If it's a contrasting color, your eyes are going to travel back and forth, continually; look how alive the kitchen looks! Your eye is moving back and forth between the range and the cook-top. The white and violet image, has green to make your eyes move, don't think the green dress and the fern weren't put in on purpose! The orange/coral pillow and cushion make that room come alive, because your eye is moving; reddish, warm colors contrast cool, greenish colors.
Those are JUST my opinions, coupled with art theory; and only if you plan on keeping it in that window...
Slim
Pen-gu-ins is pracatically chickinz, and I hates to see chickinz cry so much, I has to put’em outta ther mizzery!

Tim Young
Modern Master

Postby Tim Young » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:39 pm

Slim,

I think I agree with you. It sounds like you have a good understanding of using color! I just started reading a book called "How to Decorate and Light Your Home" (written in the 50s, got it from a garage sale), so this is on my mind right now. I don't claim to know much about it yet, but it's interesting to me.

Here's our piano. I searched high and low on craigslist for about 2 years for it and rented a van and drove 6 hours to get it. I think it was worth it. It's now my 5 year old daughter's, and she's taking lessons and can actually play it, unlike her dad.

Slim and Gabby

Postby Slim and Gabby » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:49 pm

Tim, there's a lot to be said for those "old" books! I think quite a bit has been disregarded! (didja like that, yeah, I said that on purpose! I know it's not a real word!)
It seems like too many people are either terrified of color and don't use it, or use it, but have no idea how and do it with complete abandon. Those old books, the good ones anyway, will show how to use color harmoniously, there's scads of theory.
I see so much out there that's black, or gray, and to me that's boring. There's nothing wrong with them per se, but EVERYTHING? When you start adding a contrasting color, people notice!
Example:
Which robot grabs you better?
The first two are nearly identical, but different colors, the bottom one is almost the same too, but there's even more contrast, especially with the face in there, and the orange buttons, it forces your eye to move! Yeah, the background helps too, contrast/emotion/excitement; so some kids gunna see that and think the bottom ones the most important because his eyes are moving all around that thing: that thing's become HEROIC!
Then look at this image, that little bit of color, again, contrast pulls the who thing together:
A monochrome just doesn't have as much punch:
Then ad some more color, just a bit:
and you start to feel something inside you, and emotions start to trigger! Some of these colors, for me any way, are just WOW, especially in that last one!
Again, just some more theory, but it's not just mine; I did go to school for this...
Slim
Oh, BTW swell piano!

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:30 am

I have a square stool like that. free from my wife's grandma

srk1941
Modern Master

Postby srk1941 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:24 am

I vote for teal, which will contrast nicely with the orange door.

And I personally like the button and the piped seams you found on the first ivory layer.
Steven Keylon
Village Green - National Historic Landmark

dani
Modern Master

Postby dani » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:27 am

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:45 pm

I'd go with a plant. It will give you height. Especially if you cannot use art on the wall.

Tim Young
Modern Master

Postby Tim Young » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:55 pm

Slim and Gabby

Postby Slim and Gabby » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:51 am

Tim, the "Better Homes and Gardens - Decorating Book" is excellent. I just checked Alibris, er, ah, snort, cough, 90bux for a 1956 edition, which is what I have; it's NOT a rare book. I see the 1960's version is way cheaper, but I don't know what it looks like, but I'm guessing it's not all that different, I paid 3bux for mine at a thrift store. I personally would stay away from the 1968 edition, as it's too new, and I'm sure, but not certain, it chock full of 1970's styles, example:

THAT'S ONLY MY OPINION, I DON'T EXPECT ANYONE TO SHARE IT! I know some folks really like the 1970's...

You should also go to a used book store and find a college text book on basic design; or you can take a basic design class at a JC, if you have time! Sorry I can recommend anything here, as I sat through the classes; not always an easy thing if you're an artist with your own aesthetic: @#$%&!!!!!! Sometimes you can find some from the 1940-60's and those are super cool, as most people don't do art like that anymore!
Hope this was some help?
Slim

Tim Young
Modern Master

Postby Tim Young » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:30 am

Slim,

Just got the Better Homes book (1961 version) in the mail - bought it on ebay for $10. Love it so far! Thanks for the suggestion.

dani
Modern Master

Postby dani » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:27 pm

Return to “Modern Collectibles and Furniture”