The Story of Eames Furniture - updated to include a Review

Show your stuff or ask questions about housewares, ephemera, books, artwork, furnishings.

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
scowsa
Modern Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

The Story of Eames Furniture - updated to include a Review

Postby scowsa » Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:19 am

Here's one for the Christmas/Hanukkah gift lists
Last edited by scowsa on Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.
scowsa

sam66
Modern Groupie

Postby sam66 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:30 am

An interview with the author Marilyn Neuhart can be found here: http://vimeo.com/16878818

Mod' i-fy
Modern Master

Postby Mod' i-fy » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:52 am

What is the correct pronuciation of Eames name? Is like - aim, as in 'straight aim' - thus pronounced aims ?
"Where words cease modern speaks" - Mod' i-fy

sam66
Modern Groupie

Postby sam66 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:21 pm

Mod' i-fy
Modern Master

Postby Mod' i-fy » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:55 am

"Where words cease modern speaks" - Mod' i-fy

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:48 am

scowsa
Modern Guru

Postby scowsa » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:57 pm

Well, Santa -- in the form of my adult kids -- brought me this book and it has consumed a lot of my post-Xmas time.

Although I posted this thread I had not really investigated it and was surprised by its two volume, 800 page packaging, with literally every one of it 10'" x 11.5" pages having related photos. Also by the authors' decision to capture the whole story surrounding the development of Eames furniture including all the relevant players (each having devoted biography sections, including their own furniture designs, where relevant) and key modernist events and places in the 40's.

For example, I have learned a lot more about:
- the Cranbrook Academy in Michigan where Charles first met Saarinen, Bertoia and others he later worked with, as well as Ray who was auditing a class there.
- the launch of John Enteza's Arts and Architecture mag and his early role as a "banker" for the Eames and the establishment of the Plyformed Wood Products Co. that included Gregory Ain as a founding member.
- MOMA's influential Organic Designs in Home Furnishing Competition in 1940.
- Herman Miller's Eames-related decision (1950) to manufacture in Culver City, CA . (HM also has a devoted section, including its work with Nelson)

And I have not even finished the first volume!

So even if you do not own any Eames furniture, you will find this book to be an invaluable if you want to learn more about the development of MCM furniture and the surrounding events, with its layout then providing an ongoing reference work to dip back into.

If I could own just two American MCM related books, it would be this and Modernism Rediscovered by Pierluigi Serraino and Julius Shulman.
scowsa

scowsa
Modern Guru

Postby scowsa » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:52 am

One of the things that strikes you when reading this book is how connected the various players were during the heyday of MCM furniture design.

Connected through places, such as Cranbrook Academy of Art; through challenges like the desire to mold plywood, and through MOMA exhibitions and competitions in the 1940's.

So you start to develop this mind map in your head and at one point I was considering trying to develop one, having used them in my corporate life. ()

Then I discovered that Herman Miller had already developed an interactive one at

Check it out!
scowsa

Return to “Modern Collectibles and Furniture”