Weathered Bacelona Chair, worth repair?

Show your stuff or ask questions about housewares, ephemera, books, artwork, furnishings.

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, nichols, Java

Mod' i-fy
Modern Master

Weathered Bacelona Chair, worth repair?

Postby Mod' i-fy » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:51 am

I often stop by a particular furniture consignment store and on my recent visit I saw that they had two badly wheathered Cassina Bacelona chairs. They look as though they have been sitting in storage uncovered for the last 20 years.
The leather is totally finished the straps are ok but no where near perfect. The 'was' polished crome cross legs are very very dull but not chipped.

I think the X legs and straps can be salvaged but the leather is a no go.
My question is, is it worth getting these things referbed? They are asking $199 each. Is this one of things where by the time your done referbing the chairs the cost will equal the same as a perfectly sound used set?
"Where words cease modern speaks" - Mod' i-fy

Mr. Modtomic
Modern Socialite

Postby Mr. Modtomic » Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:45 pm

$200! Each!? Not unless these are from like the 1930's or something...and have provenance. There was a set of common repros., sofa and two chairs in excellent condition, on StL. C-list for $800 about 9 months ago. I narrowly missed buying them.

If the base CAN be polished up, maybe Both for $200. You'll spend a fortune trying to reproduce the seat pads yourself. Maybe you can order them new from one of the Repro companies. Still seems like the long way around. Since almost all of them are reproductions anyway (even Knoll ones aren't worth what the originals [by Drexel?] are), why not just buy some new high quality repros?

Mr. Modtomic

http://mistermodtomic.blogspot.com

Mod' i-fy
Modern Master

Postby Mod' i-fy » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:05 pm

Yeah I was thinking the same, by the time I'm done buying cushions and leather and polishing the bases it'll cost me more than I'm willing to put out.
Funny thing is they were gone within the week.
Oh wells someone else can deal with it.
"Where words cease modern speaks" - Mod' i-fy

carmenjames
Modern Fan

Mid century modern Office Chairs store in Calgary,Toronto

Postby carmenjames » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:47 am

Wide selection of fine quality Mid Century Modern Egg Chairs available in Toronto & Calgary. Buy rocking chairs online.

Zuffa Home is one of the internet’s fastest growing online furniture retailers and is headquartered in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. We specialize in selling high quality home and office furnishings from some of the world’s most famous and best loved brands. We also offer a grand selection of rugs, lamps, and paintings. Our standard of top-notch customer service, highest quality products, and affordable prices makes us stand out from other online furniture retailers throughout the United States and Canada.

Return to “Modern Collectibles and Furniture”