Thoughts on this Usonian-style dining set?

Show your stuff or ask questions about housewares, ephemera, books, artwork, furnishings.

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
jakabedy
Modern Master
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Thoughts on this Usonian-style dining set?

Postby jakabedy » Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:33 pm

I came across this and was intrigued. Its attributed to KARP furniture, ca. 1946. Don't know about that. Does anyone have any information on it? It's veneer, with some damage. But it could probably be had for a reasonable price.

1920s Bungalow Gal turned MCM Maven

My Blog: http://magiccitymodern.blogspot.com/

scowsa
Modern Guru

Postby scowsa » Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:32 pm

Reminds me of the furniture of minimalist artist Donald Judd (1928-94), but heavier looking

While I like some of his wall pieces

and have seen his large scale installations in Marfa, TX

I find this look in furniture to be too basic for my taste.
scowsa

jakabedy
Modern Master

Postby jakabedy » Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:19 pm

It is a basic look, to be sure. But interesting.

ch
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby ch » Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:06 am

LA Modern auctions had one in their June 7, 2009 auction. It sold for $2,000.00. If you go to their site and view past auction catalogs you can see it pictured. It was lot 224, Dining suite (table and 6 chairs).

According to the description, the set was designed by Maximilian Karp, circa 1950. I also recall seeing another set which had a metal tag.

I like the set, it reminds me of a Schindler design from the 1920s. If you can get it for a good price and think it can be restored I would go for it.

ch

Postby ch » Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:15 am

Ah, here we are. Check out the cool label:

Mr. Modtomic
Modern Socialite

Postby Mr. Modtomic » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:15 pm

jakabedy
Modern Master

Postby jakabedy » Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:09 pm

ch - thanks. The auction set has been refinished, which I really don't mind. The set I found has its original blond finish, which isn't my favorite. And I'm not sure it could be duplicated well once repairs are done. Maybe withone of those Heywood-Wakefield stain/glaze applications. I'd probably be happier with a darker refinish.

But the asking for the blond set is too close to the $2K for the auction set -- I'd have to get it for a fraction of the asking to make it worth the shipping and the refinish. It's sure cool, though.

Slim and Gabby

Postby Slim and Gabby » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:33 pm

Pen-gu-ins is pracatically chickinz, and I hates to see chickinz cry so much, I has to put’em outta ther mizzery!

ch

Postby ch » Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:53 pm

Set of chairs on 1st Dibs:

Return to “Modern Collectibles and Furniture”