Anyone know anything about these chairs?

Show your stuff or ask questions about housewares, ephemera, books, artwork, furnishings.

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, nichols, Java

OONA
Modern Fan

Anyone know anything about these chairs?

Postby OONA » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:59 pm

I have ten of these chairs and an interested local buyer, but I have no idea what to sell them for since I have no clue of their worth. I was told they were purchased in the sixties, but reupholstered in the eighties and can find no brand labels on them anywhere. My guess is if there were any sort of label they were removed when they were reupholstered.
I'm hoping someone here can help me please.

scowsa
Modern Guru

Postby scowsa » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:58 am

scowsa

OONA
Modern Fan

Postby OONA » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:23 am

scowsa
Modern Guru

Postby scowsa » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:38 am

scowsa

OONA
Modern Fan

Postby OONA » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:48 am

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:31 pm

OONA
Modern Fan

Postby OONA » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:56 pm

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:46 pm

Slim and Gabby
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby Slim and Gabby » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:22 pm

Pen-gu-ins is pracatically chickinz, and I hates to see chickinz cry so much, I has to put’em outta ther mizzery!

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:07 pm

OONA
Modern Fan

Postby OONA » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:38 pm

Sorry, I haven't had a chance to get back to you. Thank you for giving me an idea of what to price them. I actually have someone else that would like some of them so I may be able to get a little more out of them selling them in smaller groups. I thought about recovering them before selling them, but after hearing what you both have said I think I might do better putting that in the buyers hands. I don't want to spend the time and money on them and use a fabric that didn't appeal to potential buyers.
Thank you all so much!

Slim and Gabby
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby Slim and Gabby » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:32 am

I like to restore old furniture, but only when it's mine; that's why I said what I did. Gabby and I have searched for fabric for months trying to find the right color and texture for our chairs. When they're nice old ones you don't want to compromise on the choice of fabric. About a year ago I restored and old SL Mobler recliner, and my next chair to do is going to be our old Dux recliner. It's best to let someone else decide what to do with them as people's fabric choices can vary as much as what people find attractive in a love interest; vive la difference!
Slim
Pen-gu-ins is pracatically chickinz, and I hates to see chickinz cry so much, I has to put’em outta ther mizzery!

OONA
Modern Fan

Postby OONA » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:11 pm

I agree Slim. It can be very difficult to find the right fabric to please the masses in hopes of selling something. Especially when I try to keep my costs low being that I aim my furniture to the average person that can't afford new furniture, but wants something nice they don't have to do anything with themselves.

I do this as much for fun as I do to make a little money to buy things for our home. The last couple months of last year I made enough selling furniture I spiffed up and sewing (I'm also a seamstress) that I was able to buy four new chairs and some accessories to almost finish decorating our Ladies Parlor.

Mr. Modtomic
Modern Socialite

Chair prices...

Postby Mr. Modtomic » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:06 pm

I'm an avid buyer and seller on craigslist here in St. Louis Mo. I start with a price of about $80 a chair or dining table when sold as a set and then add or subtract for subjective values. A name like Heywood Wakefield? Add $$. Wobbley and need re-glued? Subtract $$. A cool or unusual design (like yours, I love the legs and the metal tips and the wood is beautiful)? Add $$. Torn or worn upholstery? Subtract $$. I don't see any problem with the pink upholstery. I'd be asking $75 each with a discount for multiple piece purchase. Think about how much a crappy chair from Target or Walmart costs that isn't going to last as long as these have. It might take 6-8 months to sell them all or they might go in a weekend, but they'd sell. Your "market" may vary. There are lots of people out there who like the clean look of vintage modern, but aren't so into it that it has to have a name behind it. Good style and design sells itself.

OONA
Modern Fan

Postby OONA » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:39 pm

Thank you Mr. Modtomic. My original thought was fifty dollars each, but didn't want to say here so as not to influence what others thought. I'm with you that a well made good looking mid-century piece of furniture will eventually sell, so I think I'll go with fifty since I know the guy that might buy them all plans on reselling them. Not sure if he has a brick and mortar or ebay shop, but I don't have either right now so getting a lower price would be fine by me.
Thank you so much.

OONA
Modern Fan

Postby OONA » Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:04 am

How in the world did my pictures get changed to Justin Beiber?

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:12 am

Your image host changed the URL. Your photos are "imbeded" here. In other words, the address of the photos are placed between img brackets and that page loads inside your post.

Posting images is a huge PITA. It always has been and never seems to get easier.

OONA
Modern Fan

Postby OONA » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:46 am

Thanks egads, but not sure how that could happen since I posted from an online photo album that belongs to me.

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:10 am

Ask tinypic. That's where they are hosted. It's a free hosting service. And like all the others, worth what you pay for them. All my photos are hosted at Flicker. Sometimes linking those pics is easy for me, sometimes hard, sometimes impossible. Online photos never "belong to you" unless you actually pay for it. If you find your photos still there, try replacing the current URL by editing your original post.

OONA
Modern Fan

Postby OONA » Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:43 am

Thanks Egads. The photos are still there. Think I'll just delete this after I give you time to read it. And yes that site is free to me though I have other sites that are "more mine".... As much as anything online can belong to any one person that is.

sky
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

Postby sky » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:48 pm

Awesome Justin Bieber thread, Oona!

The best part of the photo is that he appears to be speaking authentic Turkish daffy. I suppose the photo might change again, so to keep everything in context, the photo as I write reads "Dikkat çekmemek için korumalar gibi giyineyim dedim onu da beceremedim iyi mi? nasil bir insanim ben ya?" and that translates (using http://translate.google.com) as "I said to him I could not bring attention to the guards as well giyineyim? How can I, or a human?"

If you were thinking about deleting the thread, you probably can't do it without a moderator's help. You can probably change the top post and get the photo to what you originally intended. But I hope you don't - it's good for a chuckle as is. Maybe you can just post the orginal photo below and continue on about the chairs.

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:13 pm

It's kind of a form of internet conceptual art.

OONA
Modern Fan

Postby OONA » Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:56 am

Okay, :lol: you both convinced me to keep it posted for you viewing pleasure. :h:

scowsa
Modern Guru

Postby scowsa » Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:57 am

Well, if it has morphed into a "Weird Justin Bieber" thread, here's my contribution :wink:

scowsa

Return to “Modern Collectibles and Furniture”