hi-fi restoration

Show your stuff or ask questions about housewares, ephemera, books, artwork, furnishings.

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, nichols, Java

dani
Modern Master

hi-fi restoration

Postby dani » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:28 pm

well, kind of.....

we recently acquired a beautiful philco working 72" hi-fi. YAY!

The only down side is the speaker screens seem to be real yellowed. can these be cleaned? I don't want to touch them and mess them up. I would assume it is smoke/nicotine damage.

oh, and um we payed $30.00 :)

wwilber
Modern Master

Postby wwilber » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:54 pm

Score!

Console speaker cloth is tricky since you usually can't remove it. I had the same issue with one of my radios, which was badly stained and yellowed.

I did some research, and some suggested cleaning with peroxide, so I gave it a shot. Of course, test a small area first, but you can spray it on until the speaker cloth is damp, then blot with a paper towel. It may take several repeat steps to get it clean, and let it dry after each step so you can check the progress, but I had great results. It removed the yellowing and staining without bleaching any of the original fabric.

I'll try to get a photo of the after results of my project for you.

dani
Modern Master

Postby dani » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:42 pm

thanks so much! this is exactly what I was looking for! :)

Slim and Gabby
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby Slim and Gabby » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:53 pm

"I would assume it is smoke/nicotine damage"

Nerd-boy strikes again: did you know that nicotine is essentially colorless? What people refer to as "nicotine stains" is actually tar stains, caused by the fruit sugars they put in tobacco products to give them a more robust flavor. Also, nicotine is a stimulant, used as an insecticide, with the trade name "black leaf 40".
Yeah, I know, I'm a smarty-party: nuttin' but trouble!
Slim
Pen-gu-ins is pracatically chickinz, and I hates to see chickinz cry so much, I has to put’em outta ther mizzery!

dani
Modern Master

Postby dani » Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:07 pm

Slim and Gabby wrote:"I would assume it is smoke/nicotine damage"

Nerd-boy strikes again: did you know that nicotine is essentially colorless? What people refer to as "nicotine stains" is actually tar stains, caused by the fruit sugars they put in tobacco products to give them a more robust flavor. Also, nicotine is a stimulant, used as an insecticide, with the trade name "black leaf 40".
Yeah, I know, I'm a smarty-party: nuttin' but trouble!
Slim

LOL ....Well the "tar" is coming off after each coat. it's gross. It's way lighter already. I have some progress pics, but I am almost done. So I will just post them tomorrow after the last cleanings. :wink:

rglater
Modern Socialite

Postby rglater » Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:23 am

Back in 1963 we traveled from NYC to LA after dad retired from the Army. Six kids in a baby blue 1957 Rambler American Cross Country Station Wagon (imagine the looks of the German locals as we tooled by). Anyway we stopped at Yellowstone where we had some bear trouble and the Rangers came by to collect info they said they used nicotine in the darts they fired to kill a bear (our bear was a first offender and was only moved).

Exciting trip for an about to be second grader.
Richard Dietzel
gabh an latha
Eugene, OR

rglater
Modern Socialite

Re: hi-fi restoration

Postby rglater » Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:31 am

Once you get a Hi Fi you must get a copy(ies) of Stan Freberg's routines on Hi Fi (once you hear them you will pronounce Hi Fi differently. There are some on YouTube but not the best ones.

You don't need speakers. The whole HOUSE becomes a speaker! You move into the garage.

Some great site for info, fixes, parts.
Richard Dietzel

gabh an latha

Eugene, OR

Return to “Modern Collectibles and Furniture”