How ya fixed for blades!

Show your stuff or ask questions about housewares, ephemera, books, artwork, furnishings.

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, nichols, Java

Slim and Gabby
Special Secret Modern Agent

How ya fixed for blades!

Postby Slim and Gabby » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:23 pm

It's a guy thing, shaving your face that is! This is what I shave with, a vintage 1962 Gillette "fatboy" razor, it belonged to Gabby's father.

It's become quite fashionable as of late to use a DE-razor (double edge), but I've been using one for about 10-years now, so I can say it's not a passing fancy with me. Gabby's brother gave it to me one night while we were watching old commercials from the 1950-60's, "Hey, that's what I use..." He disappeared for a minute and came back with his dad's old razor, still in the case, very cool.
What got me started was the mystique of something old that no one much does anymore, very he-man. I also HATED the idea of modern shaving with all that plastic that you just throw away. With a DE, it's just one blade, and it's 100% recyclable. In the image is the famous, or, infamous, depending on your technique, Feather blade, the sharpest blade bar none, on the planet, made in Japan of super thin, hence the name, surgical steel. Also seen is a boar-hair brush that belonged to my uncle, and a modern, synthetic brush, about $30; a top quality badger brush can cost many hundreds of dollars. To me it's just not worth it and, being a hunter, don't think it's sporting to use a such a super cool animal for brushes, but that's just me!
So, what do you shave with?
Slim
Pen-gu-ins is pracatically chickinz, and I hates to see chickinz cry so much, I has to put’em outta ther mizzery!

sky
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

Postby sky » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:27 am

I've had some close shaves before, but not with a razor.

That's a nicely composed photo, Slim. What strikes me about it is that the two brushes look like a couple out on a date! (Maybe Don King and his wife.)

To answer your question, though, I shave in a hot shower and lather with just plain old soap. The heat and moister is the thing, and you've already got that in the shower.

I suppose you're right about the blades being recyclable - but back then, the recycling bin was a slot on the wall. Just think - there are millions of untapped dollars in steel just lying around in our walls.

Slim and Gabby

Postby Slim and Gabby » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:03 pm

Sky; yeah, we told my nephew, at the time he was 18, about shoving used blades in a hole in the back of the vanity/bathroom cabinet, and his brain kinda oozed out of his head.
I shuda knowed you was gunna be the only one ta have any sort of interest in this post.
I think that's one of the only advantages of modern shaving devices, being able to use them in the shower that is; one shouldn't try that with a DE!
I love old stuff: I'm working on an old 13-inch TV set that Gabby got me before we were married. It's an old Zenith from about, mmm, 1963, vacuum tubes of course! I'm gonna build a wooden cabinet for it, I really don't like the faux-wood-plastic, so I thought I'd make something out of birch plywood and a stand with swell spindle legs. I had to order some tubes for it as the vertical hold isn't holding, slow roll problem.
Any way...
Slim
Pen-gu-ins is pracatically chickinz, and I hates to see chickinz cry so much, I has to put’em outta ther mizzery!

Slim and Gabby

Postby Slim and Gabby » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:19 pm

hannah
Modern Socialite

Postby hannah » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:24 pm

It may not look like it, but at the molecular level I'm actually quite busy.

Tikiville
Modern Groupie

ah yes...

Postby Tikiville » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:53 am

I too partake in the daily ritual of shaving with a classic Gilette...
Went a bit overboard on the collection and I have many that are complete with the original case and blades ...
A FAT BOY is choice , and I must say a silver tip badger brush is WELL WORTH the extra 20 dollars ! ( see you can get just the hair plug on the internet or ebay for a reasonable price, and then all you have to do is find a nice handle yank the old and gross plug out and glue in a new one )
It's a difference of night and day! lol
cool picture too!
somebody hit rewind.....

Slim and Gabby

Postby Slim and Gabby » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:35 am

If you want an even closer shave try a Schick-injector:

I got one for Gabby and tried it a few times: too close for me! It left me smooth, as smooth as a modern razor with multiblades, so smooth that it gave me ingrown hairs, hmmm, looked like a teenager again with zits, SNORT! Gabby uses it in the shower too, which she couldn't do with a DE.
I hope the quake in Japan hasn't killed Feather Blades...
Slim

Slim and Gabby

Postby Slim and Gabby » Tue May 17, 2011 3:36 pm

Hmmmm! I just discovered our new, to us, house has a slot in the medicine cabinet for putting the razor blades into the wall, suh-wheat! I'll have to check to see if how big the collection is one day...
Slim

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:19 pm

Less is more ? After purchasing who knows how many cans of Barbasol over the years (I have a full beard but must shave below the jaw) I finally discovered that freshly-showered skin, still moist, needs no lubricant -- just a good disposable razor. Maybe it's just me . . . ?

My dad was an electric-razor man from an early date -- I was given his old Sunbeam http://www.davesrepair.com/pdfmanuals/ModRshaversvc.htm at the appropriate age, and used such razors in my twenties -- but at the age of 50 or so he gave them up and reverted to a safety razor.

Less is more ?

SDR

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:22 pm

Any time . . .
"I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away." Bender

Return to “Modern Collectibles and Furniture”