Need Help to identify MCM dining chairs

Show your stuff or ask questions about housewares, ephemera, books, artwork, furnishings.

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, nichols, Java

lhbishop
Modern Groupie

Need Help to identify MCM dining chairs

Postby lhbishop » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:28 pm

I found four of these at a local lthrift shop. I found some very similar chairs online but not the exact match. Does anyone know about these? Are they worth anything? The similar ones online were listed for over $2400. I was thinking about recovering the seats with a white faux fur.

Any help is appreciated!
Thanks!

Here's a photo I shot as soon as I unloaded them. No clean up, etc.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/I ... directlink[/img]

A close-up shot...

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/c ... directlink
LB from Tennessee

scowsa
Modern Guru

Postby scowsa » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:14 am

This is a tough one as the design is somewhat generic. What makes you sure they are MCM?

Is there any label of any sort?

MCM wooden dining chairs tended to come from two main sources:

Heywood Wakefield, which I only know a little about but these don't look their style. Do a Heywood Wakefield dining chair image search in Google and you'll see what I mean.

Danish, typically known as Danish Modern. Here there were many dining sets in many styles, and most were not sold under a manufacturer's brand. Try the Danish Modern dining chair image search in Google and your literally see 100s.

You will also see that many of the HW or Danish Modern designs have, IMHO, a bit more "flair" that those you have posted.
scowsa

blinkbeforebeauty
Modern Socialite

Postby blinkbeforebeauty » Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:06 am

Regardless of whether or not your chairs are 'MCM' or not (by who's standards anyways? scowsa's?) they appear to be danish modern-esque. I have never seen those exact chairs before, so I don't know what their value may be. The most important thing is you liked them enough to reuse them in your home. If they turn out to be worth a lot in the future all the better.

Google's image search is one of the best ways to try and id all types of vintage furniture. Just come up with as many search terms as you can that describe your chairs and keep modifying the search. I have found out background on a lot of my vintage furniture by using this method. Lots of people blog about it, and if their photos are indexed with tags you might be able to find someone else who owns the same set who has information about them.

Btw, there are a lot more than two sources for great mid century dining chairs. What about thonet, drexel, herman miller, knoll?

Return to “Modern Collectibles and Furniture”