Help with cowboy print?

Show your stuff or ask questions about housewares, ephemera, books, artwork, furnishings.

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, nichols, Java

redlotus
Modern Groupie

Help with cowboy print?

Postby redlotus » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:53 pm

This might technically be a little PRE mid-century, but I think it really fits with the atomic style and I LOVE this print. I got it at a thrift store, in this frame, for $5. It's clearly old and has some water stains and small tears on one edge. I found this exact image online on the cover of a 1910 issue of SUNSET Magazine - "the magazine of the west". I found some reproductions for sale for about $60 each. The only originals I can find are in library collections - there's one in the Library of Congress, the NYC public library posters collection, etc. Any guesses on what this might be worth, or if it might be an original? If it's NOT an original 1910 cover, any clue when it might have been made?

I love this cowboy! It's such a cool image. :)

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos- ... 3213_n.jpg

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:50 am

Can you shoot some details? Like the corners or the back or the texture?

redlotus
Modern Groupie

Postby redlotus » Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:40 am

Sure - sorry I didn't see this reply right away. I'll try to get some pics later tonight. :)

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:05 pm

Sunset sold (and still sells) cover art posters. I imagine yours is older, but not as old as when it was a current cover. Maybe even from the 50's Remember, Early American was big, think of Lucy & Ricky's when they moved to the suburbs. Heywood Wakefield did more of that than Dogbone blond.

Return to “Modern Collectibles and Furniture”