Lane "Silhouette" table - free-form, etc..

Show your stuff or ask questions about housewares, ephemera, books, artwork, furnishings.

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, nichols, Java

leebroadway
Modern Groupie

Lane "Silhouette" table - free-form, etc..

Postby leebroadway » Wed May 23, 2012 7:44 am

I picked up this neat Lane table on CL for 125 bones. I have seen them sell from $700-1400 and there is one currently on 1stdibsantiques that is on sale for $7,800! :roll: Way over-priced I'm sure! This one is structurally sound and seems to be in very good shape. Just a few little dings on the underside, hardly noticeable.

Anywho, I was wondering if anyone knew anything else about this table?

Also, does anyone have a good blog/primer about refinishing stuff like this? I have several pieces of furniture, including 2 Dux chairs that are lying around waiting to be refinished. I've never done it from start to finish before but I need to dive in and get going, before I end up with a house full of stuff that needs to be refinished.

But first things first, I guess... product recommendations for cleaning it up and helping out the wood? I'm not sure what it's made out of. For lack of a better word, the wood (especially on the bottom) looks very.. thirsty. Like, drier and more brittle than it should be.

Sorry, I am new to all of this.. but I have the DIY spirit :D

STLModern
Modern Master

Postby STLModern » Wed May 23, 2012 1:07 pm

If it's just raw stained wood (no clear coat), just use Watco danish oil. You can pick it up at Home Depot and Lowes. If it has a clear coat, the piece will have to be stripped, sanded and re-stained. Hopefully you can live with the minor dings and keep most of it's natural patina.

leebroadway
Modern Groupie

Postby leebroadway » Wed May 23, 2012 1:47 pm

Thanks STL. I do not think there is a clear coat on it. The finish is wearing in some spots; it is very low-lustre.

igoold
Modern Groupie

Postby igoold » Wed May 15, 2013 1:28 pm

Wow! Nice job! It came out so beautiful...
I have some oval ones like this as well as some three point end tables for sale in my shop...
I hope I get them to look as spiffy as you've gotten this one.
I also hope the market commands a similar sale point...
anywhere close would be great...ha ha.

again...very nice work and a great find, for sure...
SAVE BIG on Great MCM furnishings
(up to 50%) at LEGACY's ETSY OUTLET
https://www.etsy.com/shop/LEGACYIMPORTING?ref=top_trail

Return to “Modern Collectibles and Furniture”